Re: [tracker2] ArgentData GPS won't work with Computer

  • ke4nyv
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013
      Paul,

      Are you supplying the GPS some kind of external +5VDC power on pin 4 of the GPS?  The unit won't even power up without this.

      Jason Rausch - KE4NYV
      RPC Electronics, LLC
      www.rpc-electronics.com

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013
        It needs 5v power, which your PC isn't going to provide. You could wire
        up an adapter and steal 5v power from a keyboard or mouse connector, or
        a USB port.

        Scott

        On 3/7/2013 3:52 PM, thedeer_slayer wrote:
        > Anyone ever tried to use the ArgentData GPS with a computer. I tried to
        > use mine with Microsoft MapPoint, and the computer won't even recognize
        > the GPS. I've tried regular and null modem cables.
        >
        > Thanks, 73
        > Paul KJ4YOJ

      • Paul Martin
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013
          Thanks to all for responding.  I have checked with a Volt meter and found that I am not getting any voltage to pin 5.  Does anyone know of an easy way to supply the necessary voltage to that pin?

          Thanks, 73
          Paul KJ4YOJ
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013
            On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Paul Martin <thedeer_slayer@...> wrote:

            > Thanks to all for responding. I have checked with a Volt meter and found that
            > I am not getting any voltage to pin 5. Does anyone know of an easy way to
            > supply the necessary voltage to that pin?

            I like to use wire... it works pretty well for making current follow a
            desired path.

            You could make an adaptor that fits between the laptop and the GPS
            that injects the power in the proper location.

          • Keith VE7GDH
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013
              Paul KJ4YOJ wrote...

              > Thanks to all for responding. I have checked with a Volt meter and
              > found that I am not getting any voltage to pin 5. Does anyone know of
              > an easy way to supply the necessary voltage to that pin?

              I made my own adapter with a 5V regulator on a small
              cct board, but Byonics has adapters available. I haven't
              gone looking to see if Scott has them too.

              www.byonics.com/tinytrak/gps.php

              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013
                Pin 5 is ground. You want power on pin 4. You can take power from a
                keyboard port.

                Scott

                On 3/8/2013 2:59 PM, Paul Martin wrote:
                > Thanks to all for responding. I have checked with a Volt meter and
                > found that I am not getting any voltage to pin 5. Does anyone know of
                > an easy way to supply the necessary voltage to that pin?
                >
                > Thanks, 73
                > Paul KJ4YOJ

              • Jason R
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 16, 2013
                  We sell a product we call the "patcher". It's a DB9 Male to DB9 Female adapter with a PCB in the middle and solder pads for the pins to each connector. All you have to do is jump pins 2, 3 and 5, then inject 5VDC on pin 4 of the MALE side to power the GPS. Here is a link:

                  http://www.rpc-electronics.com/comm.php

                  You'll see that we have two versions: 1. with 0.1" headers soldered on. 2. No headers, just the bare pads and it comes with a case. We have had many customers buy this just for the purpose of building one of these GPS power injectors.

                  I have even built versions with a 7805 regulator grafted onto the board and then ran some black/red small gauge zip cord out the case, through a notch to supply anywhere between nice and 20 volts. The regulator makes sure that no more than 5VDC gets to the GPS.

                  Jason Rausch - KE4NYV
                  RPC Electronics, LLC
                  www.rpc-electronics.com