Re: [tracker2] ArgentData GPS won't work with Computer

  • Marcel S
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8 12:30 AM

      I assume you are giving it 5V through either a USB port or an external power supply. You should see a blinking red light inside the GPS puck indicating activity. I've used the ADS-GM1 quite a bit on the computer. You can watch the serial data with Putty or a number of GPS test programs including the SiRFstar III chip set software. There is some more info on the Argent Wiki as well.

      Cheers,

      -Marcel AI6MS/9G5MS

      On Mar 8, 2013 7:41 AM, "thedeer_slayer" <thedeer_slayer@...> wrote:

      Anyone ever tried to use the ArgentData GPS with a computer. I tried to use mine with Microsoft MapPoint, and the computer won't even recognize the GPS. I've tried regular and null modem cables.

      Thanks, 73
      Paul KJ4YOJ

    • ke4nyv
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8 5:05 AM
        Paul,

        Are you supplying the GPS some kind of external +5VDC power on pin 4 of the GPS?  The unit won't even power up without this.

        Jason Rausch - KE4NYV
        RPC Electronics, LLC
        www.rpc-electronics.com

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8 10:56 AM
          It needs 5v power, which your PC isn't going to provide. You could wire
          up an adapter and steal 5v power from a keyboard or mouse connector, or
          a USB port.

          Scott

          On 3/7/2013 3:52 PM, thedeer_slayer wrote:
          > Anyone ever tried to use the ArgentData GPS with a computer. I tried to
          > use mine with Microsoft MapPoint, and the computer won't even recognize
          > the GPS. I've tried regular and null modem cables.
          >
          > Thanks, 73
          > Paul KJ4YOJ

        • Paul Martin
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 8 2:59 PM
            Thanks to all for responding.  I have checked with a Volt meter and found that I am not getting any voltage to pin 5.  Does anyone know of an easy way to supply the necessary voltage to that pin?

            Thanks, 73
            Paul KJ4YOJ
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 8 3:26 PM
              On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Paul Martin <thedeer_slayer@...> wrote:

              > Thanks to all for responding. I have checked with a Volt meter and found that
              > I am not getting any voltage to pin 5. Does anyone know of an easy way to
              > supply the necessary voltage to that pin?

              I like to use wire... it works pretty well for making current follow a
              desired path.

              You could make an adaptor that fits between the laptop and the GPS
              that injects the power in the proper location.

            • Keith VE7GDH
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 8 3:28 PM
                Paul KJ4YOJ wrote...

                > Thanks to all for responding. I have checked with a Volt meter and
                > found that I am not getting any voltage to pin 5. Does anyone know of
                > an easy way to supply the necessary voltage to that pin?

                I made my own adapter with a 5V regulator on a small
                cct board, but Byonics has adapters available. I haven't
                gone looking to see if Scott has them too.

                www.byonics.com/tinytrak/gps.php

                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 8 3:31 PM
                  Pin 5 is ground. You want power on pin 4. You can take power from a
                  keyboard port.

                  Scott

                  On 3/8/2013 2:59 PM, Paul Martin wrote:
                  > Thanks to all for responding. I have checked with a Volt meter and
                  > found that I am not getting any voltage to pin 5. Does anyone know of
                  > an easy way to supply the necessary voltage to that pin?
                  >
                  > Thanks, 73
                  > Paul KJ4YOJ

                • Jason R
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 16 6:15 PM
                    We sell a product we call the "patcher". It's a DB9 Male to DB9 Female adapter with a PCB in the middle and solder pads for the pins to each connector. All you have to do is jump pins 2, 3 and 5, then inject 5VDC on pin 4 of the MALE side to power the GPS. Here is a link:

                    http://www.rpc-electronics.com/comm.php

                    You'll see that we have two versions: 1. with 0.1" headers soldered on. 2. No headers, just the bare pads and it comes with a case. We have had many customers buy this just for the purpose of building one of these GPS power injectors.

                    I have even built versions with a 7805 regulator grafted onto the board and then ran some black/red small gauge zip cord out the case, through a notch to supply anywhere between nice and 20 volts. The regulator makes sure that no more than 5VDC gets to the GPS.

                    Jason Rausch - KE4NYV
                    RPC Electronics, LLC
                    www.rpc-electronics.com