VX-6 Wont Key with Tracker Cable - Yaesu Waterproof Style

  • dantez_e
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2013
      Hi All,

      Spent a few hours on this last night pulling my hair out so I am hoping someone might be able to help.

      OpenTracker USB connected using the "Tracker Cable - Yaesu Waterproof Style" cable from Argent doesn't seem to work. The radio wont key up at all.

      We checked the cable and it appears to be okay (pin outs match the doco), perhaps the plug it self has a fault (wrong size or not a good fit??).

      Has anyone had any experience with this? I am trying to figure out where the fault lies, the radio is okay as it works with the external mike which uses the same port and principal with no issue.

      Did you need any specific settings to make the VX-6 work? I moved the jumper over and tried various things but honestly there doesn't appear to be much to go wrong.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6, 2013
        The HT jumper should be set.

        Also, make sure the connector goes in all the way. The factory got the
        overmold slightly wrong and we trim the excess before they ship, but if
        there's a bit too much plastic left it might not go in quite all the way.

        Scott

        On 3/6/2013 6:56 PM, dantez_e wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > Spent a few hours on this last night pulling my hair out so I am hoping
        > someone might be able to help.
        >
        > OpenTracker USB connected using the "Tracker Cable - Yaesu Waterproof
        > Style" cable from Argent doesn't seem to work. The radio wont key up at
        > all.
        >
        > We checked the cable and it appears to be okay (pin outs match the
        > doco), perhaps the plug it self has a fault (wrong size or not a good
        > fit??).
        >
        > Has anyone had any experience with this? I am trying to figure out where
        > the fault lies, the radio is okay as it works with the external mike
        > which uses the same port and principal with no issue.
        >
        > Did you need any specific settings to make the VX-6 work? I moved the
        > jumper over and tried various things but honestly there doesn't appear
        > to be much to go wrong.

      • dantez_e
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2013
          Scott,

          It looks like this may have been the issue. I used a sharp knife and gently cut away a few mm of the plastic overmold. It looks like that has solved the issue.

          Thanks very much I was started to get concerned it was a faulty unit.

          Carlo

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 7, 2013
            Glad to hear it. Sorry for the trouble. You wouldn't believe how hard
            it is to coordinate manufacturing of those things when no one who has
            the tooling does custom cables, and no one who does custom cables has
            the tooling.

            Scott