status problems (in findu, too)

  • Chris Kantarjiev
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 23, 2007
      I have my t2 sending temp and voltage. I never set any sort of status
      string. The status packets that get sent seem to be sent without the
      leading ">" that findu insists on:

      http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/raw.cgi?call=CDRVLY

      That also shows another problem; the t2 doesn't seem to send the EOL/CRLF
      that at least some igates are expecting, so there are at least two
      igates in my area (apparently two different implementations) that
      pick up garbage and forward it.

      Bad bad igates. But I'm not guessing that they're going to
      be fixed soon... perhaps, Scott, a future firmware rev could fix
      this, or offer an option?

      Here are my settings if you want to try to reproduce the status problem.

      Thanks,
      chris

      cmd:display
      1WIREWX OFF
      ABAUD 4800
      ALIAS 1:RELAY 2:WIDE 3:TEMP
      ALTITUDE OFF
      AMODE AUTO
      AUTHLIST
      AUTOBAUD ON
      AUTOSAVE OFF
      BBAUD 4800
      BMODE FLOW
      CDINVERT OFF
      CLIMB OFF
      CNTRESET OFF
      COMMENT
      COMPRESS OFF
      COUNTER OFF
      CUSTSYM OFF
      DIGI ON
      DIGIID 1:ON 2:ON 3:ON 4:ON 5:ON 6:ON 7:ON 8:ON
      DUPETIME 30
      FAHRENHT ON
      GPSDATA OFF
      HBAUD 1200
      HEADERLN OFF
      HOPLIMIT 1:0 2:3 3:5 4:0 5:0 6:0 7:0 8:0
      INTERVAL 600
      LVINHIBIT 0
      MAXRANGE 0
      MONITOR ON
      MYCALL CDRVLY
      NICE 0
      OUTPUT1 OFF
      POSITION 3724.30N 11937.46W
      POWER ON
      PREEMPT 1:OFF 2:OFF 3:OFF 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
      PTTINPUT OFF
      PATH WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1
      QUIET 16
      REARM 250
      RETRIES 6
      RETRYTIME 7
      REQALL OFF
      RING OFF
      SHAREDPTT OFF
      SLOT 0
      SMARTBCON OFF
      SWDCD ON
      STATUS 0
      SYMBOL 1#
      TELEMETRY OFF
      TEMP ON
      TEMPADJ -4
      TIMEHMS OFF
      TIMESLOT OFF
      TIMESTAMP OFF
      TXDELAY 25
      TXLEVEL 255
      TXNOFIX OFF
      TXONCHG OFF
      USEALIAS 1:OFF 2:OFF 3:ON 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
      VELOCITY ON
      VOLTAGE ON
      WAYPOINTS OFF
      WPTLEN 9
      cmd:
    • Jason Winningham
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 23, 2007
        On Mar 23, 2007, at 9:27 AM, Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

        > the t2 doesn't seem to send the EOL/CRLF
        > that at least some igates are expecting,

        I don't think CRLF is part of the packet; that's added to the end of
        the printable representation of a packet. I suspect a different
        problem.

        I could be wrong, though.

        -Jason
        kg4wsv
      • 'Scott Miller'
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 23, 2007
          It's not part of the APRS spec.  However, many TNC-based trackers do send a CR/LF at the end of the line, and it can affect how it's displayed at the receiving end.  Not sure if that's the problem in this case.

          Scott

          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 23, 2007
            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Jason Winningham <jdw@...> wrote:

            > On Mar 23, 2007, at 9:27 AM, Chris Kantarjiev wrote:
            >
            > > the t2 doesn't seem to send the EOL/CRLF
            > > that at least some igates are expecting,
            >
            > I don't think CRLF is part of the packet; that's added to the end of
            > the printable representation of a packet. I suspect a different
            > problem.

            Could be. I only know that I'm transmitting cleanly, but something is
            tickling a bug in two different igates: K6TPK-7 advertises itself as
            "Linux APRS Internet Server" and KG6WTF-10 as "javAPRSIgate-Linux" ...
            maybe both the same code base.

            I just want to document this issue, as well as the one about the
            missing > symbol :-)

            chris
          • 'Scott Miller'
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 23, 2007
              Might not even be the igate software that's the problem - maybe the TNC isn't adding a line break.  Of course, this wouldn't be a problem if everyone ran in KISS mode.  Maybe the AUTOLF command would fix it...

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 23, 2007
                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "'Scott Miller'" <scott@...> wrote:

                > Might not even be the igate software that's the problem - maybe the TNC
                > isn't adding a line break.

                Well, Scott, it's your code :-)

                > Of course, this wouldn't be a problem if
                > everyone ran in KISS mode.

                KISS mode isn't really the issue - this is the T2's own beacon.

                > Maybe the AUTOLF command would fix it...

                Wazzat? Not in the docs...
              • Joel Maslak
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 23, 2007
                  On Mar 23, 2007, at 9:04 AM, Jason Winningham wrote:

                  > I don't think CRLF is part of the packet; that's added to the end of
                  > the printable representation of a packet. I suspect a different
                  > problem.

                  It's *both* added by many TNCs on receive *AND* added on transmit by
                  TNCs in converse mode, often.

                  I've found in a project I did a while ago that I needed to assume
                  packets would come in with these characters, and it made everything
                  work better (despite how wrong it felt) to add the CR/LF to the end
                  of outgoing packets. Yes, this is icky. But getting people to write
                  APRS software that follows the spec...well, good luck. :)
                • Chris Kantarjiev
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 23 11:03 AM
                    --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Joel Maslak <jmaslak@...> wrote:

                    > On Mar 23, 2007, at 9:04 AM, Jason Winningham wrote:
                    >
                    > > I don't think CRLF is part of the packet; that's added to the end of
                    > > the printable representation of a packet. I suspect a different
                    > > problem.
                    >
                    > It's *both* added by many TNCs on receive *AND* added on transmit by
                    > TNCs in converse mode, often.
                    >
                    > I've found in a project I did a while ago that I needed to assume
                    > packets would come in with these characters, and it made everything
                    > work better (despite how wrong it felt) to add the CR/LF to the end
                    > of outgoing packets. Yes, this is icky. But getting people to write
                    > APRS software that follows the spec...well, good luck. :)

                    Has there been any progress on this? I'm finally deploying my T2-based
                    digi/igate and this seems to be the main flaw I'm seeing.

                    73,
                    chris
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 23 11:15 AM
                      What exactly is the flaw? That it's not sending CR/LF? Or is it having
                      a problem on receive?

                      Scott

                      Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

                      > Joel Maslak <jmaslak@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > On Mar 23, 2007, at 9:04 AM, Jason Winningham wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > I don't think CRLF is part of the packet; that's added to the end of
                      > > > the printable representation of a packet. I suspect a different
                      > > > problem.
                      > >
                      > > It's *both* added by many TNCs on receive *AND* added on transmit by
                      > > TNCs in converse mode, often.
                      > >
                      > > I've found in a project I did a while ago that I needed to assume
                      > > packets would come in with these characters, and it made everything
                      > > work better (despite how wrong it felt) to add the CR/LF to the end
                      > > of outgoing packets. Yes, this is icky. But getting people to write
                      > > APRS software that follows the spec...well, good luck. :)
                      > >

                      > Has there been any progress on this? I'm finally deploying my T2-based
                      > digi/igate and this seems to be the main flaw I'm seeing.
                      >
                      > 73,
                      > chris

                    • Chris Kantarjiev
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 23 9:18 PM

                        > What exactly is the flaw? That it's not sending CR/LF? Or is it
                        having
                        > a problem on receive?
                        >
                        > Scott

                        I think the flaw is probably somewhere else in the APRS system, but T2
                        is tickling it by not sending CR/LF :-)

                        It's not just me, and it's apparently not at the ARPS-IS end. I just
                        saw this go by in my log:

                        [WARN] 2007-07-24 04:14:57 SocketRecvThread:: message recv on rf0:
                        K6MMG-1 -> APOT02 via [WA6AFT-3*, W6CX-3*, WIDE2]:
                        (/240414z3758.05N/12222.28Ws121/000 12.5V 25CTunapalooza/A=000009)

                        That packet has the problem on the air - so either WA6AFT-3 or W6CX-3
                        doesn't understand the termination you're using.

                        73,
                        chris
                      • Chris Kantarjiev
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 23 9:32 PM
                          > It's not just me, and it's apparently not at the ARPS-IS end. I just
                          > saw this go by in my log:
                          >
                          > [WARN] 2007-07-24 04:14:57 SocketRecvThread:: message recv on rf0:
                          > K6MMG-1 -> APOT02 via [WA6AFT-3*, W6CX-3*, WIDE2]:
                          > (/240414z3758.05N/12222.28Ws121/000 12.5V 25CTunapalooza/A=000009)
                          >
                          > That packet has the problem on the air - so either WA6AFT-3 or W6CX-3
                          > doesn't understand the termination you're using.

                          Then again, maybe this isn't broken, because it's always the same.

                          I'll look for a better example.
                        • Chris Kantarjiev
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 23 9:43 PM
                            OK. I'm looking through the logs for CDRVLY's packets. CDRVLY is doing its
                            own beacons (as APOT02A) and also being used as a TNC for a digi program
                            running on a WRT54. (This is where I seem to sometimes run into problems
                            with the OT beacons not going out when it's being a KISS TNC, but leave
                            that for a different thread.)

                            If you look at the raw packet log,

                            http://aprs.he.fi/?c=raw&call=CDRVLY

                            you can see that there are some beacons that make it OK, and some
                            don't, even when they hit the same digipath (typically just
                            W6CX-3).

                            So I'm betting that the problem is at the igate. I see three different
                            igates in the list:

                            K6TJS OK APU25N UI-View
                            KG6WTF-10 damaged APJI23 jAPRSIgate
                            K6TPK-7 damaged APD215 Linux aprsd

                            I'm guessing that either UI-View goes out of its way to "fix" the problem,
                            or it understand "proper" packets, or both ... but the other two don't.

                            Either way, it's probably more effective for OT2 to change.

                            73,
                            chris
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 25 10:44 AM
                              I just want to be sure that the problem really is the line termination,
                              and that it's not somehow related to a buffer problem in the T2. I
                              wasn't able to use that link - is CDRVLY still up?

                              Scott

                              Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

                              > OK. I'm looking through the logs for CDRVLY's packets. CDRVLY is doing its
                              > own beacons (as APOT02A) and also being used as a TNC for a digi program
                              > running on a WRT54. (This is where I seem to sometimes run into problems
                              > with the OT beacons not going out when it's being a KISS TNC, but leave
                              > that for a different thread.)
                              >
                              > If you look at the raw packet log,
                              >
                              > http://aprs.he.fi/?c=raw&call=CDRVLY <http://aprs.he.fi/?c=raw&call=CDRVLY>
                              >
                              > you can see that there are some beacons that make it OK, and some
                              > don't, even when they hit the same digipath (typically just
                              > W6CX-3).
                              >
                              > So I'm betting that the problem is at the igate. I see three different
                              > igates in the list:
                              >
                              > K6TJS OK APU25N UI-View
                              > KG6WTF-10 damaged APJI23 jAPRSIgate
                              > K6TPK-7 damaged APD215 Linux aprsd
                              >
                              > I'm guessing that either UI-View goes out of its way to "fix" the problem,
                              > or it understand "proper" packets, or both ... but the other two don't.
                              >
                              > Either way, it's probably more effective for OT2 to change.
                              >
                              > 73,
                              > chris

                            • Chris Kantarjiev
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 1, 2007
                                Scott and others looking at this,

                                I'm out at CDRVLY this weekend, looking at the logs more carefully. I
                                still see problems in APRS-IS with garbage at the end of the OT2
                                status packets.

                                The thing I notice, though, is that the garbage is there when the
                                status packet arrives to be igated!

                                The setup here is that there's a WRT54 running arps4r acting as
                                the digi/igate; it uses the T2 as a TNC. The T2 generates the
                                status packet directly; it gets digi'd by OKHRST, and comes back
                                to be igate'd (there's a small problem in that pass, too, since
                                the igate seems to be stripping part of the digipath).

                                When the packet arrives here, it already has a string of nulls
                                at the end, and the igate is passing that along faithfully.

                                So ... that says to me that either the T2 is sending them, or,
                                perhaps, OKHRST doesn't quite like the packet. OKHRST is an X-Digi/TNC-X,
                                which adds another compontent to the puzzle :-)

                                73 de chris K6DBG
                              • Jason Winningham
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 1, 2007
                                  On Sep 1, 2007, at 11:16 AM, Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

                                  > OKHRST is an X-Digi/TNC-X, which adds another compontent to the
                                  > puzzle :-)

                                  The X-digi has a few problems. The one I saw the most when running
                                  it was it completely trashed the path of the packet it was repeating
                                  every so often.

                                  -Jason
                                  kg4wsv
                                • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 1, 2007
                                    --- Chris Kantarjiev <cak@...> wrote:

                                    > Scott and others looking at this,
                                    >
                                    > I'm out at CDRVLY this weekend, looking at the logs
                                    > more carefully. I
                                    > still see problems in APRS-IS with garbage at the
                                    > end of the OT2
                                    > status packets.
                                    >
                                    > The thing I notice, though, is that the garbage is
                                    > there when the
                                    > status packet arrives to be igated!

                                    I'd say go ahead use a UI-View temporarily to monitor
                                    the packets and do igating. See if there is a
                                    difference.

                                    On my setup, I don't see any trailing garbage on the
                                    status packets recorded at findu, but the difference
                                    is I use a laptop running UI-View (or AGWUIdigi) to do
                                    the gating.

                                    Then you can tell whether it is actually a T2 problem
                                    or the other digi repeating your status packets.

                                    73 de Paulus - N5SNN / YD0NXX

                                  • Chris Kantarjiev
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 1, 2007
                                      > I'd say go ahead use a UI-View temporarily to monitor
                                      > the packets and do igating. See if there is a
                                      > difference.

                                      Not really an option for me, since the T2 is connected to a WRT. But I
                                      know other people are running into this problem, too, perhaps they can
                                      debug further with UI-View.
                                    • Chris Kantarjiev
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 1, 2007
                                        > The X-digi has a few problems. The one I saw the most when running
                                        > it was it completely trashed the path of the packet it was repeating
                                        > every so often.

                                        Fair enough, but ... many many other packets get through this X-digi
                                        w/o being mangled.
                                      • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Sep 2, 2007
                                          --- Chris Kantarjiev <cak@...> wrote:

                                          > The setup here is that there's a WRT54 running
                                          > arps4r acting as
                                          > the digi/igate; it uses the T2 as a TNC. The T2
                                          > generates the
                                          > status packet directly; it gets digi'd by OKHRST,
                                          > and comes back
                                          > to be igate'd

                                          Ok, I was bored this afternoon so I thought I want to
                                          duplicate your problem on my T2 that is acting as a
                                          digi, TKUSIR.

                                          My T2 (actually a T2-135) is permanently installed as
                                          a digi, and also doing as a WX station. So I hook this
                                          board up to a ubuntu laptop running aprsd to do
                                          perform as an igate .

                                          The status packets from the T2 is digipeated by a
                                          Kenwood D700 then comes back to the T2 and gets
                                          igate'd.

                                          I see no trailing garbage on TKUSIR's status packets,
                                          unlike on yours.

                                          Yours:
                                          CDRVLY>APOT2A,TCPIP*,qAC,T2SPAIN:!3724.30N111937.46W#
                                          13.7V
                                          77F��������������������

                                          Mine:
                                          TKUSIR>APOT2A,YD0NXX-7*,qAR,TKUSIR:!0615.00S/10646.00E#
                                          00.9V 14C

                                          Hope that helps,

                                          73 de Paulus - N5SNN / YD0NXX

                                          Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Sep 18, 2007
                                            I haven't forgotten about this... do you have the config file for the
                                            unit so I can try to duplicate it?

                                            Scott

                                            Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

                                            > Scott and others looking at this,
                                            >
                                            > I'm out at CDRVLY this weekend, looking at the logs more carefully. I
                                            > still see problems in APRS-IS with garbage at the end of the OT2
                                            > status packets.
                                            >
                                            > The thing I notice, though, is that the garbage is there when the
                                            > status packet arrives to be igated!
                                            >
                                            > The setup here is that there's a WRT54 running arps4r acting as
                                            > the digi/igate; it uses the T2 as a TNC. The T2 generates the
                                            > status packet directly; it gets digi'd by OKHRST, and comes back
                                            > to be igate'd (there's a small problem in that pass, too, since
                                            > the igate seems to be stripping part of the digipath).
                                            >
                                            > When the packet arrives here, it already has a string of nulls
                                            > at the end, and the igate is passing that along faithfully.
                                            >
                                            > So ... that says to me that either the T2 is sending them, or,
                                            > perhaps, OKHRST doesn't quite like the packet. OKHRST is an X-Digi/TNC-X,
                                            > which adds another compontent to the puzzle :-)
                                            >
                                            > 73 de chris K6DBG

                                          • Chris Kantarjiev
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Nov 11, 2007
                                              For what it's worth ... upgrading to the latest firmware on 11.11.07
                                              seems to have made this go away!

                                              73,
                                              chris