Re: [tracker2] Anything new for Dayton

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 5, 2013
      The big one definitely won't be in product in time for Dayton, but I'm
      hoping to have a demo with the basic functionality working so we can
      take pre-orders. It's a dual-channel TNC with Ethernet and will work as
      a stand-alone IGate, it'll be configurable through a web browser, and
      I'm planning about a hundred other functions that I don't want to hype
      too much until I've actually got them working. =] It'll also have the
      ADS-SR1s repeater functions, and later I'm planning to adapt it for
      duplex and cross-band operation.

      Speaking of which, if anyone has a repeater with duplexer cavities
      they'd like to see cheap or trade for our stuff, let me know! If I'm
      going to make this thing a repeater controller too, I should probably
      have a repeater here for a test installation.

      I do have one non-APRS product I'm hoping to have in production in time
      for Dayton, but we'll see. There's still debugging to be done.

      Scott

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 5, 2013
        > The big one definitely won't be in product in time for Dayton, but I'm

        *in production
      • qrv@kd4e.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 5, 2013
          Scott,

          Are you talking about something like the combo Raspi with
          the piggybacked APRS modules?

          Are you looking for something like a Celwave flat pack?

          The one I have is for UHF but they are available for VHF as well
          (Chinese versions are about $99.)

          Thanks!

          73, David KD4E

          > The big one definitely won't be in product in time for Dayton, but I'm
          > hoping to have a demo with the basic functionality working so we can
          > take pre-orders. It's a dual-channel TNC with Ethernet and will work as
          > a stand-alone IGate, it'll be configurable through a web browser, and
          > I'm planning about a hundred other functions that I don't want to hype
          > too much until I've actually got them working. =] It'll also have the
          > ADS-SR1s repeater functions, and later I'm planning to adapt it for
          > duplex and cross-band operation.
          >
          > Speaking of which, if anyone has a repeater with duplexer cavities
          > they'd like to see cheap or trade for our stuff, let me know! If I'm
          > going to make this thing a repeater controller too, I should probably
          > have a repeater here for a test installation.
          >
          > I do have one non-APRS product I'm hoping to have in production in time
          > for Dayton, but we'll see. There's still debugging to be done.

          Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
          David Colburn nevils-station.com
          I don't google I SEARCH! duckduckgo.com
        • N9NWO
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 5, 2013
            This would be great not only for APRS digipeters but also for Packet nodes (BPQ32 - http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ32.html). I might give you a couple of folks here who are putting up a new site for a repeater plus Packet gates (220/440/2m). They also have a APRS digipeter. http://www.wires-repeater.org

            > The big one definitely won't be in product in time for Dayton, but I'm hoping to have a demo with the basic functionality working so we can take pre-orders. It's a dual-channel TNC with Ethernet and will work as a stand-alone IGate, it'll be configurable through a web browser, and I'm planning about a hundred other functions that I don't want to hype too much until I've actually got them working. =] It'll also have the ADS-SR1s repeater functions, and later I'm planning to adapt it for duplex and cross-band operation.
            >
            > Speaking of which, if anyone has a repeater with duplexer cavities
            > they'd like to see cheap or trade for our stuff, let me know! If I'm going to make this thing a repeater controller too, I should probably have a repeater here for a test installation.
            >
            > I do have one non-APRS product I'm hoping to have in production in time for Dayton, but we'll see. There's still debugging to be done.
            >
            > Scott
            >
            > On 3/5/2013 6:34 AM, N9NWO wrote:
            > > Just thought I would ask. See if there was something that I should be
            > > saving up for....
            > >
            > > N9NWO

          • Bill Vodall
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 5, 2013
              >> The big one definitely won't be in product in time for Dayton, but I'm hoping to have a demo with the basic functionality working so we can take pre-orders. It's a dual-channel TNC with Ethernet and will work as a stand-alone IGate, it'll be configurable through a web browser, and I'm planning about a hundred other functions that I don't want to hype too much until I've actually got them working. =]

              Hopefully one of those other functions is an embedded RFM12BP....

              Any other progress on the RFM12BP project? This "radio in a
              USB/Ethernet connected package" is going to be a game changer.

              Bill, WA7NWP
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 5, 2013
                > Are you talking about something like the combo Raspi with
                > the piggybacked APRS modules?

                Not a pi, though the thought had crossed my mind. It's a Freescale
                Coldfire-based unit running a very lightweight RTOS.

                > Are you looking for something like a Celwave flat pack?
                >
                > The one I have is for UHF but they are available for VHF as well
                > (Chinese versions are about $99.)

                Ideally I suppose I'd like to have a complete repeater, including
                cavities, with a common ham controller for comparison. It's been years
                since I've touched a duplex repeater and I've never been the operator of
                one. It's a field I've been reluctant to get into because of the
                support requirements that are likely to come with it, but the ADS-SR1
                already has 90% of the code written and debugged that it needs to be a
                decent repeater controller, and the new unit will have more than enough
                capability on the hardware side to do all of that and a lot of stuff
                that I haven't seen so far in existing controllers, like IP linking.

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 5, 2013
                  I figured out that my RFM12BP prototypes weren't blown up like I thought
                  they were, so that's something, but I haven't had time to do any real
                  work with them.

                  Scott

                  On 3/5/2013 10:28 AM, Bill Vodall wrote:
                  > >> The big one definitely won't be in product in time for Dayton, but
                  > I'm hoping to have a demo with the basic functionality working so we can
                  > take pre-orders. It's a dual-channel TNC with Ethernet and will work as
                  > a stand-alone IGate, it'll be configurable through a web browser, and
                  > I'm planning about a hundred other functions that I don't want to hype
                  > too much until I've actually got them working. =]
                  >
                  > Hopefully one of those other functions is an embedded RFM12BP....
                  >
                  > Any other progress on the RFM12BP project? This "radio in a
                  > USB/Ethernet connected package" is going to be a game changer.
                  >
                  > Bill, WA7NWP

                • Tony VE6MVP
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 5, 2013
                    At 10:21 AM 2013-03-05, Scott Miller wrote:

                    >The big one definitely won't be in product in time for Dayton, but
                    I'm
                    >hoping to have a demo with the basic functionality working so we can
                    >take pre-orders.  It's a dual-channel TNC with Ethernet and will
                    work as
                    >a stand-alone IGate, it'll be configurable through a web browser, and

                    Sweet!

                    Tony
                  • Brandon Tibbitts
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 5, 2013
                      Scott,

                      You may consider running or supporting the smaller space consuming radio to radio type repeater, such as the ones using two GM300 radios or similar to create a small and lightweight repeater.

                      These seem to be popping up alot.

                      I'm not exactly sure if it'd be any different than a fullscale repeater. Maybe.

                      Just a thought I had,

                      Brandon

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 6, 2013
                        I'm not really concerned with making a repeater to actually serve users
                        - I'd only need it as a test bed. For starters I can probably just run
                        low power and separate the antennas as much as possible.

                        Scott

                        On 3/5/2013 11:24 PM, Brandon Tibbitts wrote:
                        > Scott,
                        >
                        > You may consider running or supporting the smaller space consuming radio
                        > to radio type repeater, such as the ones using two GM300 radios or
                        > similar to create a small and lightweight repeater.
                        >
                        > These seem to be popping up alot.
                        >
                        > I'm not exactly sure if it'd be any different than a fullscale repeater.
                        > Maybe.
                        >
                        > Just a thought I had,
                        >
                        > Brandon
                        >
                        > ________________________________

                      • caimaver
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 6, 2013
                          Speaking of new products, will the updated version of the Open Tracker SMT be available before Dayton? I'm looking forward to that one for some projects.

                          Thanks,
                          Cai, W6CAI

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 6, 2013
                            Yes. I need to finish verifying the latest board rev and order a large
                            quantity, but everything's looking good so far.

                            Scott

                            On 3/6/2013 1:44 PM, caimaver wrote:
                            > Speaking of new products, will the updated version of the Open Tracker
                            > SMT be available before Dayton? I'm looking forward to that one for some
                            > projects.
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            > Cai, W6CAI

                            > Scott Miller wrote:
                            > >
                            > > The big one definitely won't be in product in time for Dayton, but I'm
                            > > hoping to have a demo with the basic functionality working so we can
                            > > take pre-orders. It's a dual-channel TNC with Ethernet and will work as
                            > > a stand-alone IGate, it'll be configurable through a web browser, and
                            > > I'm planning about a hundred other functions that I don't want to hype
                            > > too much until I've actually got them working. =] It'll also have the
                            > > ADS-SR1s repeater functions, and later I'm planning to adapt it for
                            > > duplex and cross-band operation.
                            > >
                            > > Speaking of which, if anyone has a repeater with duplexer cavities
                            > > they'd like to see cheap or trade for our stuff, let me know! If I'm
                            > > going to make this thing a repeater controller too, I should probably
                            > > have a repeater here for a test installation.
                            > >
                            > > I do have one non-APRS product I'm hoping to have in production in time
                            > > for Dayton, but we'll see. There's still debugging to be done.
                            > >
                            > > Scott
                            > >
                            > > On 3/5/2013 6:34 AM, N9NWO wrote:
                            > > > Just thought I would ask. See if there was something that I should be
                            > > > saving up for....
                            > > >
                            > > > N9NWO

                          • watchtinker
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 7, 2013
                              Hi Scott -

                              I believe you could use dummy loads in place of antennas on the repeater since you are presumably in close proximity to the repeater.

                              Michael