Tracker 3 Motorcycle Install

  • iba9241
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2013
      Hello;

      I am considering running APRS on my Honda Goldwing and I have a question regarding the connections. The radio is a Kenwood TM-281 and I would like to interface the Tracker 3 to this radio and my Garmin Zumo 550 which has a motorcycle mount. How would all of this connect to the Zumo 550. I understand the radio connection to the Tracker 3, but am not sure how it connects to the Zumo.

      Thanks for any and all help;
      Gord
      VA3TWT
    • k7ybz
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2013
        You need to use the Garmin Data cable between the Z550 and the Tracker. The cable is available from Argent Data. This is what you want: Garmin 010-10813-00 Mini-B Data Cable.

        When ordering you can either have Argent Data put a connector on or you can do it yourself. The cable comes without a connector.

        I have a Z550 and Tracker2 but for the life of me I cannot remember if it plugs into the bottom of the Z550 or into the cradle. I am 250 miles away from that setup to verify.

        Larry
        K7YBZ

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "iba9241" <gclaridge@...> wrote:

        > Hello;
        >
        > I am considering running APRS on my Honda Goldwing and I have a question regarding the connections. The radio is a Kenwood TM-281 and I would like to interface the Tracker 3 to this radio and my Garmin Zumo 550 which has a motorcycle mount. How would all of this connect to the Zumo 550. I understand the radio connection to the Tracker 3, but am not sure how it connects to the Zumo.
        >
        > Thanks for any and all help;
        > Gord
        > VA3TWT

      • Tony VE6MVP
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2013
          At 05:27 PM 2013-03-04, iba9241 wrote:

          I am considering running APRS on my Honda Goldwing and I have a question regarding the connections. The radio is a Kenwood TM-281 and I would like to interface the Tracker 3 to this radio and my Garmin Zumo 550 which has a motorcycle mount. How would all of this connect to the Zumo 550. I understand the radio connection to the Tracker 3, but am not sure how it connects to the Zumo.

          Note that unless you're running a Nuvi 350 or Avmap that any position data coming back from the Tracker to the GPS might not be displayed properly or even erased as the object is refreshed.   As one person said "I could see exactly where all his beacons were just like bread crumbs."

          Tony