Just bought a Garmin 350, what do I do now (T3-301)

  • N9NWO
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1 11:31 AM
      I was able to get a Garmin 350. Have a T3-301 with cable (serial RS-232). What do I need now to get the setup running? I believe that the 350 has a USB cable being shipped with it.

      I have been using it as a tracker (bought the GPS receiver along with the T3-301). Ready to go to the next level. Been using APRS Viewer (Android) to see stations.

      BTW, I was told that I need to set up my comments in a fashion that makes the frequency stand out (especially to Kenwood units). Anyone familiar with that?

      N9NWO
    • seerdman
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1 11:39 AM
        In the files section of this group, see the nuviv1.pdf file for a description of what to do.

        73,

        Steve
        KF7MXS

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "N9NWO" <n9nwo@...> wrote:

        > I was able to get a Garmin 350. Have a T3-301 with cable (serial RS-232). What do I need now to get the setup running? I believe that the 350 has a USB cable being shipped with it.
        >
        > I have been using it as a tracker (bought the GPS receiver along with the T3-301). Ready to go to the next level. Been using APRS Viewer (Android) to see stations.
        >
        > BTW, I was told that I need to set up my comments in a fashion that makes the frequency stand out (especially to Kenwood units). Anyone familiar with that?
        >
        > N9NWO

      • N9NWO
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5 6:48 AM
          Downloaded the PDF. It is more aimed at the OT2 than the OT3 though some overlap.

          I believe that I have to order the FMI 15 cable, not the FMI 45. Can the serial connector (DB-9) also be set up to power the Nuvi 350? I have the wiring harness that is used with the T3-301.

          N9NWO

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "seerdman" <seerdman@...> wrote:

          > In the files section of this group, see the nuviv1.pdf file for a description of what to do.
          >
          > 73,
          >
          > Steve
          > KF7MXS
          >
          > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "N9NWO" <n9nwo@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I was able to get a Garmin 350. Have a T3-301 with cable (serial RS-232). What do I need now to get the setup running? I believe that the 350 has a USB cable being shipped with it.
          > >
          > > I have been using it as a tracker (bought the GPS receiver along with the T3-301). Ready to go to the next level. Been using APRS Viewer (Android) to see stations.
          > >
          > > BTW, I was told that I need to set up my comments in a fashion that makes the frequency stand out (especially to Kenwood units). Anyone familiar with that?
          > >
          > > N9NWO

        • N9NWO
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5 12:10 PM
            Scott might be able to give me a bit of advice on this.

            I believe this is what I need to do the final connections: 010-10813-00, Mini-B USB connector to serial pigtail. It is on the Agent website for $21 plus $5 for the DB-9. Not sure if I need the male or female (need to go out to the car to see how the cable is configured). I believe that the cable that Scot sold me is female.