Re: OT USB Port A TEXT mode

  • n9tkf
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 27, 2013
      The attached firmware worked great. I am putting the text in to Port A and the OT USB beacons as programmed.

      John
      N9TKF

      > Apparently at some point that behavior was by design, but I couldn't
      > tell you what my reasoning was. It was bypassing timed transmissions in
      > TEXT mode, but only for port A.
      >
      > Try the attached firmware version. Or switch to port B if you need to
      > stick with the current release.
      >
      > Scott
      >
      > On 2/21/2013 5:12 PM, n9tkf wrote:
      > > I programmed Port A to Auto and to beacon every 120 secs. The tracker
      > > sent a beacon every 120 secs. I programmed the Tracker Port A to TEXT
      > > Port B to AUTO and it will send the text telemetry from the Arduino but
      > > will not send a beacon. Maybe a setting is wrong on my setup?
      > >
      > > John
      > > N9TKF

      > > Scott Miller wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I don't think having it in TEXT mode should affect normal beacon
      > > > operation. Does it beacon when you have it in AUTO mode?
      > > >
      > > > Scott

      > > position

    • Tony VE6MVP
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 27, 2013
        Folks

        Not sure where to start warning folks but I'll start here.   I happened to notice that the mini usb adapter going into the back of the Garmin Nuvi 350 cradle was munged.  Actually it was bent so far down it was at a 90 degree down angle immediately past the metal socket part.  So all that was holding in the place was part of the metal and the wires.      Basically Garmin should've put the power adapter somewhere else rather then right below the ball socket  Right above wouldn't been great.

        Turns out the problem was that I had the Nuvi 350 too vertical on the mount from the suction cup adapter.  I needed to have the pivot arm from the suction cup to the  ball socket angled way forward to give the USB micro adapter lots of clearance to the vertical arm.    If I'm making any sense.

        To put it another way if you look at this picture https://www.thebcgpsstore.ca/Garmin-Suction-Cup-Mount-for-Nuvi-300-GPS-automotive-series-theBCGPSstore.ca/ it is too vertical.  There's not enough clearance for USB micro adapter cable end.   The GPS and cradle needs to be further forward so the arm is at more of a slant.

        This would've been perfect.  <smile>   http://www.abt.com/product/25855/Garmin-0101081500.html

        As I have lots of USB mini cables I'm going to purchase several cheap micro USB right angle adapters from eBay and a dual USB port cigaretter light adapter.

        Tony