OT USB max mic voltage?

  • F1MHV
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 25, 2013
      Good day Scott,

      What is the maximum mic voltage the OT USB can accept?

      Actual used mic (headset with electret boom mic) spec mention "supply voltage for microphone: 8 - 16v DC, 8 - 25 ma (as per RTCA/DO-214)"

      Is it too much for OT USB? Should i consider inserting a capacitor on + mic?

      Thank you for help,

      73 de Cyril
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 25, 2013
        The mic supply voltage, at least on mobiles, is generally a separate pin
        - and it probably doesn't supply enough current to run the tracker and GPS.

        Scott

        On 2/25/2013 1:27 AM, F1MHV wrote:
        > Good day Scott,
        >
        > What is the maximum mic voltage the OT USB can accept?
        >
        > Actual used mic (headset with electret boom mic) spec mention "supply
        > voltage for microphone: 8 - 16v DC, 8 - 25 ma (as per RTCA/DO-214)"
        >
        > Is it too much for OT USB? Should i consider inserting a capacitor on + mic?
        >
        > Thank you for help,
        >
        > 73 de Cyril

      • f1mhv
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 26, 2013
          Good Scoot,

          My question was not accurate enough...

          I am not intending to use the +mic DC voltage to power the OTUSB, i have a dedicated battery for this purpose. I am just wondering if i can connect directly the audio output of the OTUSB to the mic input of my equipment without damaging the OTUSB, or should i protect-it from this 8 to 16v with a capacitor?

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 26, 2013
            There's already a capacitor on the OTUSB's output that will block DC.

            Scott

            On 2/26/2013 2:15 AM, f1mhv wrote:
            > Good Scoot,
            >
            > My question was not accurate enough...
            >
            > I am not intending to use the +mic DC voltage to power the OTUSB, i have
            > a dedicated battery for this purpose. I am just wondering if i can
            > connect directly the audio output of the OTUSB to the mic input of my
            > equipment without damaging the OTUSB, or should i protect-it from this 8
            > to 16v with a capacitor?
            >
            > Cyril

            > Scott Miller wrote:
            > >
            > > The mic supply voltage, at least on mobiles, is generally a separate pin
            > > - and it probably doesn't supply enough current to run the tracker
            > and GPS.
            > >
            > > Scott
            > >
            > > On 2/25/2013 1:27 AM, F1MHV wrote:
            > > > Good day Scott,
            > > >
            > > > What is the maximum mic voltage the OT USB can accept?
            > > >
            > > > Actual used mic (headset with electret boom mic) spec mention "supply
            > > > voltage for microphone: 8 - 16v DC, 8 - 25 ma (as per RTCA/DO-214)"
            > > >
            > > > Is it too much for OT USB? Should i consider inserting a capacitor
            > on + mic?
            > > >
            > > > Thank you for help,
            > > >
            > > > 73 de Cyril

          • f1mhv
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 27, 2013
              Good -day- Scott ;-)

              Great!

              Cyril

              > There's already a capacitor on the OTUSB's output that will block DC.
              >
              > Scott
              >
              > On 2/26/2013 2:15 AM, f1mhv wrote:
              > > Good Scoot,
              > >
              > > My question was not accurate enough...
              > >
              > > I am not intending to use the +mic DC voltage to power the OTUSB, i have
              > > a dedicated battery for this purpose. I am just wondering if i can
              > > connect directly the audio output of the OTUSB to the mic input of my
              > > equipment without damaging the OTUSB, or should i protect-it from this 8
              > > to 16v with a capacitor?
              > >
              > > Cyril
            • f1mhv
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2013
                Good morning Scott,

                Last night i performed my first test on 30m operating /AM. Audio setting wise, HI jumper was set to high, and being able to monitor the AFSK output thru headsets, even with TXLEVEL set to 255, i found the AFSK level very weak (10 to 15%) compare to normal voice using dedicated hand mike or boom headset. Both devices data are mentioning an output of 400mv: what about the OTUSB?

                For information:
                -Electro-voice model 903E: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=electro-voice%20model%20903e&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.electrovoice.com%2Fdownloadfile.php%3Fi%3D969939&ei=u-8yUZvQIMTusgaIiYGgCg&usg=AFQjCNGHxtDV9XZnicUAQHmDZ9YM52tUhw&bvm=bv.43148975,d.Yms

                - Sennheiser HME-45KA: http://www.sennheiser.nl/sennheiser/old_manual.nsf/resources/HME45CA.pdf/$File/HME45CA.pdf

                Cyril

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 3, 2013
                  I can't find my notes on the OTUSB output levels right now. Do you have
                  an oscilloscope to check what it's putting out?

                  Scott

                  On 3/2/2013 10:57 PM, f1mhv wrote:
                  > Good morning Scott,
                  >
                  > Last night i performed my first test on 30m operating /AM. Audio setting
                  > wise, HI jumper was set to high, and being able to monitor the AFSK
                  > output thru headsets, even with TXLEVEL set to 255, i found the AFSK
                  > level very weak (10 to 15%) compare to normal voice using dedicated hand
                  > mike or boom headset. Both devices data are mentioning an output of
                  > 400mv: what about the OTUSB?
                  >
                  > For information:
                  > -Electro-voice model 903E:
                  > http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=electro-voice%20model%20903e&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.electrovoice.com%2Fdownloadfile.php%3Fi%3D969939&ei=u-8yUZvQIMTusgaIiYGgCg&usg=AFQjCNGHxtDV9XZnicUAQHmDZ9YM52tUhw&bvm=bv.43148975,d.Yms
                  >
                  > - Sennheiser HME-45KA:
                  > http://www.sennheiser.nl/sennheiser/old_manual.nsf/resources/HME45CA.pdf/$File/HME45CA.pdf
                  >
                  > Cyril

                  > "f1mhv" wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Good -day- Scott ;-)
                  > >
                  > > Great!
                  > >
                  > > Cyril

                  > Scott Miller wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > There's already a capacitor on the OTUSB's output that will block DC.
                  > > >
                  > > > Scott

                • f1mhv
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 4, 2013
                    unfortunately not: back with the hobby since 2/3 years after a 20 years break, i am still very basically equipped, no shack at home, operating mainly /AM et some /P.

                    May be some software working with sound card to check audio output?

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 5, 2013
                      Do you also have the HT jumper removed? If it's set, that will drag the
                      audio level down considerably.

                      Scott

                      On 3/4/2013 2:36 AM, f1mhv wrote:
                      > unfortunately not: back with the hobby since 2/3 years after a 20 years
                      > break, i am still very basically equipped, no shack at home, operating
                      > mainly /AM et some /P.
                      >
                      > May be some software working with sound card to check audio output?
                      >
                      > Cyril

                      > Scott Miller wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I can't find my notes on the OTUSB output levels right now. Do you have
                      > > an oscilloscope to check what it's putting out?
                      > >
                      > > Scott
                      > >
                      > > On 3/2/2013 10:57 PM, f1mhv wrote:
                      > > > Good morning Scott,
                      > > >
                      > > > Last night i performed my first test on 30m operating /AM. Audio
                      > setting
                      > > > wise, HI jumper was set to high, and being able to monitor the AFSK
                      > > > output thru headsets, even with TXLEVEL set to 255, i found the AFSK
                      > > > level very weak (10 to 15%) compare to normal voice using dedicated
                      > hand
                      > > > mike or boom headset. Both devices data are mentioning an output of
                      > > > 400mv: what about the OTUSB?

                    • F1MHV
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 5, 2013
                        No, HI is on and HT is OFF. I checked as well R4 R5 R6 and the values are correct excepted for R6 which shows 100k (version 1.2) compare to schematic diagram available on the wiki. But as long as HI shunt R6, it's not really a problem.
                        I have done a new set of cables with an original M642/5-1 jack and i will perform thursday some tests again on 30m (DF1CHB-11).

                        Cyril

                        Le 5 mars 2013 à 18:15, Scott Miller <scott@...> a écrit :

                        > Do you also have the HT jumper removed? If it's set, that will drag the
                        > audio level down considerably.
                        >
                        > Scott
                        >
                        > On 3/4/2013 2:36 AM, f1mhv wrote:
                        >> unfortunately not: back with the hobby since 2/3 years after a 20 years
                        >> break, i am still very basically equipped, no shack at home, operating
                        >> mainly /AM et some /P.
                        >>
                        >> May be some software working with sound card to check audio output?
                        >>
                        >> Cyril
                        >>
                        >> --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,
                        >> Scott Miller wrote:
                        >>>
                        >>> I can't find my notes on the OTUSB output levels right now. Do you have
                        >>> an oscilloscope to check what it's putting out?
                        >>>
                        >>> Scott

                        >> setting
                        >> hand
                      • K2DMS
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 5, 2013
                          Cyril,

                          I replied to your last question on our private conversation and your mail service rejected my message.

                          [quote]

                          Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server.
                          The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why
                          each recipient was rejected.

                          Recipient: <F1MHV@...>
                          Reason: Too many spams from your IP (71.74.56.122), please visit http://postmaster.free.fr/
                          [/quote]

                          That apparently is the IP of Road Runner's MTA. Perhaps you get spam from there unrelated to our messages.

                          In any case my answer was...

                          "Mine is a v1.1 and I currently have R4 at 1.5k (was 6.8k) because the output was way too hot."

                          73
                          Danny
                          K2DMS

                          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "f1mhv" <F1MHV@...> wrote:

                          > unfortunately not: back with the hobby since 2/3 years after a 20 years break, i am still very basically equipped, no shack at home, operating mainly /AM et some /P.
                          >
                          > May be some software working with sound card to check audio output?
                          >
                          > Cyril

                          > > I can't find my notes on the OTUSB output levels right now. Do you have
                          > > an oscilloscope to check what it's putting out?
                          > >
                          > > Scott
                          > >
                          > > On 3/2/2013 10:57 PM, f1mhv wrote:
                          > > > Good morning Scott,
                          > > >
                          > > > Last night i performed my first test on 30m operating /AM. Audio setting
                          > > > wise, HI jumper was set to high, and being able to monitor the AFSK
                          > > > output thru headsets, even with TXLEVEL set to 255, i found the AFSK
                          > > > level very weak (10 to 15%) compare to normal voice using dedicated hand
                          > > > mike or boom headset. Both devices data are mentioning an output of
                          > > > 400mv: what about the OTUSB?

                        • F1MHV
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 5, 2013
                            Thank you for the feedback Danny. So i have options: to shunt R5 and/or to increase R4…

                            73 de Cyril