Re: [tracker2] Can the GTRANS cable allow you to send commands to the Kenwood D710?

  • Tony VE6MVP
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 11, 2013
      At 04:10 PM 2013-02-11, Tony VE6MVP wrote:

      Several very nice capabilities of the Tracker and the Nuvi 350 combination are the ability to send commands to the Tracker, such as switching profiles or changing the APRS comment, and sending APRS messages.

      When I think about it switching profiles is the same as the D710s PM functionality so that's not a big deal.  But changing the APRS comment or typing in APRS messages using the Nuvi on screen keyboard would be nice.

      Tony
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 11, 2013
        > You can access the messaging interface over the GPS port.

        Not with the GTRANS you can't. If there's messaging support on the GPS
        port, it's for the AvMap. I don't think that was implemented when I got
        my D710. Is there an update?

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 11, 2013
          I did implement AvMap support - it ought to be in the development built
          at least, but I haven't gotten around to documenting it yet. I'll be
          happy to jump on that if someone wants to do some beta testing.

          I saw a few in stock today. Some of them look a little different than
          the pictures - we just got a new board revision in that's about 1/3
          smaller and has the USB connector on the side to avoid having to route
          the cable at an odd angle, but otherwise it works the same.

          Scott

          On 2/11/2013 9:39 AM, offtracks1 wrote:
          > Been running Argent gear for a long time.
          >
          > My T2-301 and nuvi 350 has been a super package. Been looking and making
          > some gear changes and I need some info on the T3-135 for the Alinco.
          >
          > Can it be connected to the New AvMap 6 and will messaging and all other
          > features work?
          >
          > Will it display weather data ect on the AvMap. like it would when
          > connected to a Kenwood?
          >
          > I see the it is currently out of stock, any idea to when it may be back
          > in stock?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Scott KB7DZR

        • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 11, 2013
            On 2/11/2013 8:08 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
            >> You can access the messaging interface over the GPS port.
            > Not with the GTRANS you can't. If there's messaging support on the GPS
            > port, it's for the AvMap. I don't think that was implemented when I got
            > my D710. Is there an update?

            And documentation? Especially if said messaging interface appears on
            the GPS port of the D72 in some future firmware update!

          • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 11, 2013
              Do you have documentation on the AvMap messaging interface protocol? If
              it is open, I could implement such an interface to the D710 and have it
              ready if they ever support it on the D72's GPS/RS-232 port.

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 11, 2013
                On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 6:08 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

                >> You can access the messaging interface over the GPS port.
                >
                > Not with the GTRANS you can't. If there's messaging support on the GPS
                > port, it's for the AvMap. I don't think that was implemented when I got
                > my D710. Is there an update?

                Back up the train... I'm not sure where my head was when I wrote that!
                I think it might have been wishful thinking or something. The AvMap
                supports messaging via specific sentences, and Kenwood does not
                support them.

                I plead too many toys and not enough brain cells!

                I sure would like it if Kenwood would make a liar out of me though!

              • offtracks1
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 15, 2013
                  Thanks Scott

                  I may be looking into setting a new system in the next few months.

                  Scott KB7DZR

                  > I did implement AvMap support - it ought to be in the development built
                  > at least, but I haven't gotten around to documenting it yet. I'll be
                  > happy to jump on that if someone wants to do some beta testing.
                  >
                  > I saw a few in stock today. Some of them look a little different than
                  > the pictures - we just got a new board revision in that's about 1/3
                  > smaller and has the USB connector on the side to avoid having to route
                  > the cable at an odd angle, but otherwise it works the same.
                  >
                  > Scott
                  >
                  > On 2/11/2013 9:39 AM, offtracks1 wrote:
                  > > Been running Argent gear for a long time.
                  > >
                  > > My T2-301 and nuvi 350 has been a super package. Been looking and making
                  > > some gear changes and I need some info on the T3-135 for the Alinco.
                  > >
                  > > Can it be connected to the New AvMap 6 and will messaging and all other
                  > > features work?
                  > >
                  > > Will it display weather data ect on the AvMap. like it would when
                  > > connected to a Kenwood?
                  > >
                  > > I see the it is currently out of stock, any idea to when it may be back
                  > > in stock?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks
                  > >
                  > > Scott KB7DZR

                • recompiler
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 22, 2013
                    I'd be happy to help you test. I have the av map g6, t2-301, t3301. Right now using g6 with my Kenwood d700 and d710 but want to go back to using t3 every day without giving up av map.

                    73
                    KB3UOO

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 25, 2013
                      Have you loaded up the development build firmware yet? I think it
                      should be compiled in there, but I'll need to double check.

                      Scott

                      On 2/22/2013 11:45 PM, recompiler wrote:

                      > I'd be happy to help you test. I have the av map g6, t2-301, t3301.
                      > Right now using g6 with my Kenwood d700 and d710 but want to go back to
                      > using t3 every day without giving up av map.
                      >
                      > 73
                      > KB3UOO

                      > Scott Miller wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I did implement AvMap support - it ought to be in the development built
                      > > at least, but I haven't gotten around to documenting it yet. I'll be
                      > > happy to jump on that if someone wants to do some beta testing.
                      > >
                      > > I saw a few in stock today. Some of them look a little different than
                      > > the pictures - we just got a new board revision in that's about 1/3
                      > > smaller and has the USB connector on the side to avoid having to route
                      > > the cable at an odd angle, but otherwise it works the same.
                      > >
                      > > Scott
                      > >
                      > > On 2/11/2013 9:39 AM, offtracks1 wrote:
                      > > > Been running Argent gear for a long time.
                      > > >
                      > > > My T2-301 and nuvi 350 has been a super package. Been looking and
                      > making
                      > > > some gear changes and I need some info on the T3-135 for the Alinco.
                      > > >
                      > > > Can it be connected to the New AvMap 6 and will messaging and all other
                      > > > features work?
                      > > >
                      > > > Will it display weather data ect on the AvMap. like it would when
                      > > > connected to a Kenwood?
                      > > >
                      > > > I see the it is currently out of stock, any idea to when it may be back
                      > > > in stock?
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks
                      > > >
                      > > > Scott KB7DZR

                    • recompiler
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 28, 2013
                        Not yet, was a little afraid to brick it with dev code but I will give it a try tonight.

                        73
                        KB3UOO