Re: [tracker2] controlling what gets displayed on the gps

  • Eric Fort
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 8, 2013
      On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 7:52 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

      On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 8:00 PM, Eric Fort eric.fort@...> wrote:

      > 1. I really do not need a bunch of excess clutter on the nuvi screen.
      > How can I limit the stations tracked and displayed to only those from a
      > predetermined list (i.e. only the HIBAL and chase teams)?
      >
      > 2. It would be useful to see not just lat/lon but altitude of the HIBAL
      > as well. How might this best be displayed?

      Are you limiting the equipment used in the chase to just the radio,
      OT2, and Nuvi350? Will you have a laptop along as well?

      I'd rather just use the nuvi 350 and t2-301, otherwise what's the advantage of the t2-301 nuvi combo?  If I need a laptop I might as well just run soundmodem on the laptop and attach that to a radio.

      The best you can do is set a waypoint limit so you can only see
      stations within a specified distance of your station. I don't think
      you can get altitude of the payload displayed on the Nuvi.

      What about using some creative scripting on the t2 to limit what the nuvi sees?  Any possibilities there?

      You could get the altitude of the payload displayed on an AvMap GPS
      connected to the OT2 though.

      AvMap?  what are you referring to?

      If you attach a laptop, and run APRSISCE/32, you can have everything
      you want, and have it displayed on a much larger screen.

      I'll consider that as an option, but then doesn't that defeat the entire point of the nuvi/t2-301 combo?

      Eric

    • Brian Webster
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 10, 2013

        If there is a way you will have to do it within the T2 software. I don’t think you have that level of control with the Nuvi. If you don’t think you will get too far separated you could always just switch both radios to another frequency and be the only two in the sandbox J

        Thank You,

        Brian N2KGC

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 10, 2013
          On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 9:54 PM, Eric Fort <eric.fort@...> wrote:

          >> Are you limiting the equipment used in the chase to just the radio,
          >> OT2, and Nuvi350? Will you have a laptop along as well?
          >

          > I'd rather just use the nuvi 350 and t2-301, otherwise what's the
          > advantage of the t2-301 nuvi combo? If I need a laptop I might as well just
          > run soundmodem on the laptop and attach that to a radio.

          You tell me what the advantage is... The only advantage I see is less
          equipment in the vehicle, but you are limited to the capabilities of
          the equipment chosen. I love the OpenTracker line. I have over a dozen
          OTUSB/OT2/OT3 units, and an R-Trak HAB as well... they all have their
          own specialized purposes. However I run my Kenwood D710 and AvMap G6
          in the truck because the capabilities available in those devices
          provide me with the desired functionality. I also run a TH-D72 as my
          handheld unit. The two Kenwood devices and the AvMap give me
          everything I need to be able to chase and recover HAB payloads. I
          can't achieve the same level of functionality with the OT line and the
          Nuvi350.

          When chasing balloons however, I add on the laptop (or WebDT366) so
          that I get an even larger screen, a historic track of the payload
          path, packet logs, and a bunch more functionality that I can't get out
          of the Kenwood and AvMap G6.

          > What about using some creative scripting on the t2 to limit what the nuvi
          > sees? Any possibilities there?

          Not that I can think of. We don't have access to manipulating the
          incoming data stream. That would take a fair bit of processor power,
          and a lot of memory to be able to provide enough commands to parse out
          packets and manipulate them based on your own criteria.

          >> You could get the altitude of the payload displayed on an AvMap GPS
          >> connected to the OT2 though.
          >
          > AvMap? what are you referring to?

          Uh, the AvMap GPS line... The current production model is the AvMap
          G6. http://www.geosat.us/ It is a GPS built in Italy, but it has
          firmware custom designed to support APRS built in. No other GPS
          manufacturer supports APRS. The closest anyone else comes is Garmin,
          and that's only because Scott has manipulated their Fleet Management
          Interface into believing that APRS data is FMI data. We all know how
          interested Garmin is in making the FMI mode work properly to support
          live data from the APRS network.

          The AvMap G6 is the latest in the AvMap line to support APRS. The G4
          and G5 units also supported APRS functionality. With the G6, I can
          tell the unit to follow a specified target (the balloon payload), and
          I can have three windows open on the map screen showing me specific
          data on that payload (I like speed, heading, and altitude when
          chasing). I can tell the GPS to calculate a route to the payload (not
          a good idea while the balloon is in flight, you want to head to where
          it is going to land, not where it is currently), but when the payload
          is on the ground, the GPS can direct you to the area.

          >> If you attach a laptop, and run APRSISCE/32, you can have everything
          >> you want, and have it displayed on a much larger screen.
          >>

          > I'll consider that as an option, but then doesn't that defeat the entire
          > point of the nuvi/t2-301 combo?

          That all depends on what the point of the T2-301 and Nuvi is... If you
          want a small minimal component count APRS station with the ability to
          see incoming icons on the screen, and the ability to send and receive
          messages on screen, then you've probably got the right package.

          If you want to be able to limit the incoming display to just a single
          specific station, or group of stations, and to be able to see the
          altitude of a specific station on screen, then you probably don't have
          the right package.

          Ham radio is a niche market. APRS is a niche market in the ham radio
          niche market. HAB tracking is a niche market in the APRS niche market
          of the ham radio niche market. Most manufacturers aim to position
          their products to hit the largest market possible. The fact that AvMap
          is producing a product that supports APRS is amazing, and then they
          also have features that cater to the HAB niche is even more amazing.

          You can't sit in a rowboat in the middle of a corn field in Nebraska
          and wonder why you're not flying to London. Sometimes you need
          specialized equipment to perform a specialized task. :)

          As Brian suggested, perhaps using a unique frequency would give you
          the ability to limit the stations heard. Hopefully you are aware that
          once your payload is aloft, there is no need to run an outgoing path.
          With the payload over 1000' AGL, asking for digipeats is a waste of
          time. Your payload will transmit much further than any ground based
          digipeater around. Moving to a frequency with no digipeaters available
          does not affect your ability to track. You can have ground based
          stations switch to the unique frequency and i-gate your packets so
          they appear on the APRS-IS stream.

          Many HAB groups run paths at altitude, which just causes all kinds of
          unnecessary noise on the ground. Dozens to hundreds of digipeaters end
          up repeating packets that are easily copied by every station on the
          ground already. Even worse people run with WIDE1-1 as a path request,
          causing not only every digipeater to act upon the packet, but every
          home fill-in digipeater as well.

          If you are running a quality HAB APRS tracking payload, you'll have
          the ability to change paths based on profile switching. Set up your
          profile switching to use no path on one profile, and then once the
          payload has dropped below something like 5000 feet, add an outgoing
          path to ask for help from the digipeaters. If you land somewhere a
          long distance from an i-gate, and your chase teams have managed to not
          keep up with the payload, a digipeat *might* help you get closer.

          Many people feel that if the payload can't be heard on the ground via
          the APRS-IS stream, that there's no possible way of recovering the
          payload. That is not the case. We've had payloads stop being gated at
          20,000 feet AGL and still been able to find them on the ground. You
          simply extrapolate the flight path based on the winds seen on the way
          up and go to the projected area. If need be set up a search grid and
          search until you can hear your payload.

          If you have a frequency agile payload, you can have the unit switch
          back and forth between your unique frequency and 144.390, and get the
          best of both worlds.

        • Matthew Cook
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 10, 2013
            I'll second James comments regarding the PATH in your APRS payload...   Here in Oz we use custom HAB hardware and firmware (http://rfhead.net/?p=476) that has no path included in the out going fraome until the balloon has burst and is on decent and dropping below 3000' ASL..  We used to run WIDE2-1 but that as James suggests causes alot of noise on the ground...   Using the wides means we do get some assistance from other digi's and iGates, but keep in mind there are only 3 iGates and 8 or so digi's in the entire of South Australia we don't have the same sort of population densities found elsewhere... out where our balloons land we need to use at least one digi to skip over a mountain range and back into Adelaide to hit the iGates... although there will be rPi in the truck soon running my own Rx only iGate, yes we have better mobile coverage out this far in the country that we do repeaters at times...  Unless we're flying one on the balloon that is...

            In all of our launches we use two telemetry systems with ARPS as the backup.  The primary system is a 25mW RTTY 70cm module that sends continuous data.  It's the same one the guys in the UK use check out http://www.spacenear.us/tracker for more details.

            In the car we use the D710 and on foot you can't beat the D72's.  In the car the D710 is in the front seat where I can see it, we also have a bluetooth dongle on the serial port for feeding to our telemetry systems (with bigger screens) in the back seat.  You can see most of the gear in the truck (toyota hilux) here.. (http://projecthorus.org/?page_id=2224).. Yours truly is the one with the beard.  Having custom gear helps recover all of your payloads... We've only truly lost one, sacrifced three out of 30 launches.  We've also flown 3D cameras worth more than our trucks.

            Since we fly with primary 70cm and backup 2m APRS telemetry we've not "lost" communciation with our balloons for quite some time..  The Australian Civil Aviation and Safety Authority (CASA) are rightfully quite strict on who can fly HAB payloads here in Australia (we're actually licensed to do so with our own Balloon Airport in the Adelaide Hills) and we are required to keep in contact with our balloons at all times..  We've also got a couple of "restricted zones" we're not allowed to fly into (north of Adelaide) which makes life fun (read on).

            However we also run the CUSF HAB prediction software on where flights and roughly know where they are likely to go ie (http://www.projecthorus.org/predict/)..   We've found that using the CUSF predictor (and some knowledge about the balloons you're using) that our payloads drop within a 50km radius of the predicted landing site, once we have the wind data on accent this narrows to only 5km.  We usually run scenarios on the weather in the week leading up to the launch.   Being able to get within 5kms of the general landing area means we can find any 25mW signal with a 7el beam and a good receiver.  If you poke around the Project Horus site you'll find many videos (ie Horus 7) of where we've launched, driven and then watched/video'd the balloon land, all simply based on the predictions.

            73's

            Matthew
            VK5ZM

            0487 653 245
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 11, 2013
              But why the heck is Australia so strict on HAB activity, with similar
              land area to the US and 1/10th the population?

              Scott

            • Matthew Cook
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 11, 2013
                Ah that is a good question.  We're not 100% sure..

                There have been HAB experiments where people have let balloons go and tracked them for the past 30 years, but none of them technically had any form of approval.  Project Horus was the first group in Australia to get official approval to fly HAB experiments, 3 years ago.

                When we launch a HAB from Adelaide we actually put out a NOTAM three days in advance and the airspace is cleared above our Balloon-port...  I'm guessing that CASA don't want any "harmless science experments" wrapped around the wings of any aircraft that are landing nearby... would be sort of a bad new week that one.

                We're very lucky here that the prevailing winds are from the SW and that out to the NE there is not alot but some farms and bushland... so when we fly there isn't much to hit other than the odd sheep, kangaroo or cow.  Mind you there are a few Permanent Rivers, National Parks Gunnery ranges, 275kV high tension power lines, african safari park (inc lions) that make life interesting.  I think the biggest challange is the jet stream and the distance our HAB can acheive in a 4hr flight... it is not uncommon for us to be travelling 200-300mi to retrieve a payload.

                But it's fun that is for sure.  Like I've said previously now that we have APRS as a backup we'd never go back to flying with out it.   So now you know what all the bits and pieces I've been buying are being used for ;-)

                73's

                Matthew
                VK5ZM

                <*> Your email settings: