Re: [tracker2] Re: OT USB Telemetry

  • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 7, 2013
      Be aware that Pete, AE5PL and author of javAPRSSrvr which powers many of
      the APRS-IS servers, is on record that his filter implementation in the
      new 4.x release requires strict adherence to the original aprs101.pdf
      definition of 0..127 for telemetry values. A t/t (type telemetry)
      filter will NOT pass a telemetry packet with any data value outside this
      range. The only way such a packet would be received is if it is passed
      by some other filter element (like range or buddy or some-such).

      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 7, 2013
        And this is why it'll be a user-configurable option. With warnings. =]

        I'm still hoping to convince Hessu to implement a more flexible
        telemetry format. I've got one designed. Might just have to implement
        it myself and see if it gets any traction.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 7, 2013
          On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 8:48 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

          > I'm still hoping to convince Hessu to implement a more flexible
          > telemetry format. I've got one designed. Might just have to implement
          > it myself and see if it gets any traction.

          In what way? The APRS telemetry format is defined in the APRS
          protocol, not by Hessu. We have tried to get Hessu to support a new
          RANGE statement back in December of 2011. It does not require any
          changes to the APRS protocol as it is simply an APRS message. It would
          however need to be interpreted by aprs.fi, or any other APRS program
          that displayed telemetry data graphically.

          ******************

          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 7, 2013
            Were you aware of the Base91 telemetry extension described at:

            http://he.fi/doc/aprs-base91-comment-telemetry.txt

            It allows telemetry data to appear in a posit comment and allows values
            from 0..8280 (13 bits per sample). It still has sequence in there, but
            you don't have to provide all 5 values unless you want to include the 8
            binary bits which come at the end.

            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 7, 2013
              On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 9:03 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
              <ldeffenb@...> wrote:

              > Were you aware of the Base91 telemetry extension described at:
              >
              > http://he.fi/doc/aprs-base91-comment-telemetry.txt
              >
              > It allows telemetry data to appear in a posit comment and allows values
              > from 0..8280 (13 bits per sample). It still has sequence in there, but
              > you don't have to provide all 5 values unless you want to include the 8
              > binary bits which come at the end.

              And that one is the sweetest way to do telemetry... high resolution,
              adaptable to the number of values to be represented, and squeezed down
              tighter than concentrated orange juice from Florida!

              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 7, 2013
                I mean I came up with a more flexible format for telemetry, and I'm
                trying to talk Hessu into supporting it. If aprs.fi can handle it,
                that's what most of my users need and other clients would probably
                follow suit.

                My proposed format is variable-length, more efficient, and lets you
                specify profiles for metadata - either a standard pre-defined profile
                (e.g., T3 profile with 1 temperature, 1 count, and 5 voltage readings)
                or a profile you'd create yourself on the site. Because from what I've
                seen, most folks don't need equations and labels on the air, they just
                want the data presented nicely online.

                Scott

                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 7, 2013
                  I think it was in an earlier stage when I saw it last. I'll look it over.

                  Scott

                  On 2/7/2013 8:03 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
                  > Were you aware of the Base91 telemetry extension described at:
                  >
                  > http://he.fi/doc/aprs-base91-comment-telemetry.txt
                  >
                  > It allows telemetry data to appear in a posit comment and allows values
                  > from 0..8280 (13 bits per sample). It still has sequence in there, but
                  > you don't have to provide all 5 values unless you want to include the 8
                  > binary bits which come at the end.

                  > On 2/7/2013 10:48 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
                  >> And this is why it'll be a user-configurable option. With warnings. =]
                  >>
                  >> I'm still hoping to convince Hessu to implement a more flexible
                  >> telemetry format. I've got one designed. Might just have to implement
                  >> it myself and see if it gets any traction.
                  >>
                  >> Scott
                  >>
                  >> On 2/7/2013 7:15 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
                  >>> Be aware that Pete, AE5PL and author of javAPRSSrvr which powers many of
                  >>> the APRS-IS servers, is on record that his filter implementation in the
                  >>> new 4.x release requires strict adherence to the original aprs101.pdf
                  >>> definition of 0..127 for telemetry values. A t/t (type telemetry)
                  >>> filter will NOT pass a telemetry packet with any data value outside this
                  >>> range. The only way such a packet would be received is if it is passed
                  >>> by some other filter element (like range or buddy or some-such).

                • Matthew Cook
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 7, 2013
                    Scott,

                    I've sent a few of those packets to the APRS-IS servers, they did appear to go through to aprs.fi...   There was a little sillyness until I resent a PARM packet manually with new scaling factors etc...  it doesn't fix all of the problems with telemetry but the additional range is nice.. especially for measureing battery voltage in millivolts....

                    We should be flying new APRS trackers in our next HAB launch later this month (or early next month) with this new compressed base-91 telemetry code in it.

                    73's

                    Matthew
                    VK5ZM

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    --
                    Matthew
                    VK5ZM
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 7, 2013
                      On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 9:10 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

                      > My proposed format is variable-length, more efficient, and lets you
                      > specify profiles for metadata - either a standard pre-defined profile
                      > (e.g., T3 profile with 1 temperature, 1 count, and 5 voltage readings)
                      > or a profile you'd create yourself on the site. Because from what I've
                      > seen, most folks don't need equations and labels on the air, they just
                      > want the data presented nicely online.

                      The base-91 has the variable length concept...

                      The metadata sounds like the existing parameter definitions just with
                      a different coat of paint. Sounds like you are advocating defining the
                      metadata directly on aprs.fi via the web interface. You define the
                      metadata currently via APRS with a few APRS messages sent to the
                      specific callsign. Do that once every few years to keep aprs.fi up to
                      date and you're there.

                      I'm game to hear different though... what about defining it on the
                      wiki where it can be discussed and documented rather than just in an
                      email? It's kind of out of the scope of what the reflector is about.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 8, 2013
                        I wrote up a sheet about it some time back. If I can figure out where I
                        put it, I'll post it to the wiki.

                        Scott