RE: [tracker2] OT USB Telemetry

  • Joe Della Barba
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 4, 2013

      My OT-3M has been reporting 0.3 volts low for about a year now.

      I could change the telemetry by sending a message if I can remember the format, but that won’t help the comment field.

      So – is there an adjustment for this?

      Joe Della Barba

      joe@...

      N3HGB-5

      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 4, 2013
        I did look at your telemetry values before I posted. Your telemetry values show:::Battery: 12.900 Volts (TLM: 129 EQN: 0,0.1,0). The TLM: 129 corelates to 12.9 volts *10 as stated in the Telemetry Wiki. I should have a value of TLM: 131 on the channel None on my graph. Channel None is is TLM:164 but I have 13.1 volts connected to that channel. I did erase and re-flash the firmware but no luck.

        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 4, 2013
          There's not presently an adjustment, but I should be able to add that in
          the next firmware version. Everything is referenced to an internal band
          gap reference, so it should be independent of the supply voltage (which
          runs lower than 5v because it's got a series diode) and I can simply
          adjust what the expected voltage of the band gap is.

          Scott

          On 2/4/2013 5:13 AM, Joe Della Barba wrote:
          > My OT-3M has been reporting 0.3 volts low for about a year now.
          >
          > I could change the telemetry by sending a message if I can remember the
          > format, but that won’t help the comment field.
          >
          > So – is there an adjustment for this?
          >
          > Joe Della Barba
          >
          > joe@... <mailto:joe@...>
          >
          > N3HGB-5

        • n9tkf
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 4, 2013
            Thanks Scott for looking into this. I do have a question though, if I put 20 volts on say CN-4 pin 3 (analog input 1), what value would be output in the telemetry string for analog 1? Would it be 200? It seems my OT USB is maxed out at 164 with only 5 volts.

            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 6, 2013
              Yes, it should read 200. It might not get all the way to 200, depending
              on the exact supply voltage the MCU is getting. The limit is actually
              4xVdd and on newer units with the isolation diode Vdd is slightly less
              than 5v. You should still have to put in 16.4v to get a reading of 164,
              though.

              Scott

            • n9tkf
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 7, 2013
                I did some testing last night and found if I put 5 volts on any of the analog pins on CN4 that all of them would give me a max count of 164.By max count I mean the maximum number reported in the telemetry output (TLM: 164). This would make sense since Vdd is ~4.2 volts as measured on CN4-1. My battery voltage reported in the comment section is 16.4V and I am running off a 12V battery. Not sure why the numbers don't match. By having only 164 counts the resolution of my LM355 is 4.64 degF. Would it be possible to program more resolution into the telemetry inputs?

                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 7, 2013
                  Sounds like maybe there's something wrong with the voltage dividers.
                  There's a green resistor pack on the left side of the board, and a row
                  of resistors close to the CN4 pins. Do those look OK?

                  As for the resolution, the ADC can do 12 bits, and the telemetry fields
                  could represent 000-999, though that's not in the original spec. I
                  might make that an option, to scale the 12-bit samples to fit that range.

                  Scott

                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 7, 2013
                    On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

                    > As for the resolution, the ADC can do 12 bits, and the telemetry fields
                    > could represent 000-999, though that's not in the original spec. I
                    > might make that an option, to scale the 12-bit samples to fit that range.

                    There is precedence for the nearly 10 bit resolution... the TinyTrak
                    line does high resolution telemetry.

                    We asked about it on the APRSISCE/32 forum and got a response from Bob.

                    Searching the suggested files didn't turn up anything, but that
                    doesn't stop people from playing. Documentation in the APRS world
                    seems to lag just a bit.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 7, 2013
                      I remember discussing it with Bob years ago. I'll put it on my list to
                      add as an option.

                      Scott

                      On 2/7/2013 5:23 PM, James Ewen wrote:
                      > On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Scott Miller scott@...
                      > <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>> wrote:
                      >
                      > > As for the resolution, the ADC can do 12 bits, and the telemetry fields
                      > > could represent 000-999, though that's not in the original spec. I
                      > > might make that an option, to scale the 12-bit samples to fit that range.
                      >
                      > There is precedence for the nearly 10 bit resolution... the TinyTrak
                      > line does high resolution telemetry.
                      >
                      > We asked about it on the APRSISCE/32 forum and got a response from Bob.

                      > Searching the suggested files didn't turn up anything, but that
                      > doesn't stop people from playing. Documentation in the APRS world
                      > seems to lag just a bit.
                      >
                      > --
                      > James
                      > VE6SRV

                    • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 7, 2013
                        Be aware that Pete, AE5PL and author of javAPRSSrvr which powers many of
                        the APRS-IS servers, is on record that his filter implementation in the
                        new 4.x release requires strict adherence to the original aprs101.pdf
                        definition of 0..127 for telemetry values. A t/t (type telemetry)
                        filter will NOT pass a telemetry packet with any data value outside this
                        range. The only way such a packet would be received is if it is passed
                        by some other filter element (like range or buddy or some-such).

                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 7, 2013
                          And this is why it'll be a user-configurable option. With warnings. =]

                          I'm still hoping to convince Hessu to implement a more flexible
                          telemetry format. I've got one designed. Might just have to implement
                          it myself and see if it gets any traction.

                          Scott

                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 7, 2013
                            On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 8:48 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

                            > I'm still hoping to convince Hessu to implement a more flexible
                            > telemetry format. I've got one designed. Might just have to implement
                            > it myself and see if it gets any traction.

                            In what way? The APRS telemetry format is defined in the APRS
                            protocol, not by Hessu. We have tried to get Hessu to support a new
                            RANGE statement back in December of 2011. It does not require any
                            changes to the APRS protocol as it is simply an APRS message. It would
                            however need to be interpreted by aprs.fi, or any other APRS program
                            that displayed telemetry data graphically.

                            ******************

                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 7, 2013
                              Were you aware of the Base91 telemetry extension described at:

                              http://he.fi/doc/aprs-base91-comment-telemetry.txt

                              It allows telemetry data to appear in a posit comment and allows values
                              from 0..8280 (13 bits per sample). It still has sequence in there, but
                              you don't have to provide all 5 values unless you want to include the 8
                              binary bits which come at the end.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 7, 2013
                                On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 9:03 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                                <ldeffenb@...> wrote:

                                > Were you aware of the Base91 telemetry extension described at:
                                >
                                > http://he.fi/doc/aprs-base91-comment-telemetry.txt
                                >
                                > It allows telemetry data to appear in a posit comment and allows values
                                > from 0..8280 (13 bits per sample). It still has sequence in there, but
                                > you don't have to provide all 5 values unless you want to include the 8
                                > binary bits which come at the end.

                                And that one is the sweetest way to do telemetry... high resolution,
                                adaptable to the number of values to be represented, and squeezed down
                                tighter than concentrated orange juice from Florida!

                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 7, 2013
                                  I mean I came up with a more flexible format for telemetry, and I'm
                                  trying to talk Hessu into supporting it. If aprs.fi can handle it,
                                  that's what most of my users need and other clients would probably
                                  follow suit.

                                  My proposed format is variable-length, more efficient, and lets you
                                  specify profiles for metadata - either a standard pre-defined profile
                                  (e.g., T3 profile with 1 temperature, 1 count, and 5 voltage readings)
                                  or a profile you'd create yourself on the site. Because from what I've
                                  seen, most folks don't need equations and labels on the air, they just
                                  want the data presented nicely online.

                                  Scott

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 7, 2013
                                    I think it was in an earlier stage when I saw it last. I'll look it over.

                                    Scott

                                    On 2/7/2013 8:03 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
                                    > Were you aware of the Base91 telemetry extension described at:
                                    >
                                    > http://he.fi/doc/aprs-base91-comment-telemetry.txt
                                    >
                                    > It allows telemetry data to appear in a posit comment and allows values
                                    > from 0..8280 (13 bits per sample). It still has sequence in there, but
                                    > you don't have to provide all 5 values unless you want to include the 8
                                    > binary bits which come at the end.

                                    > On 2/7/2013 10:48 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
                                    >> And this is why it'll be a user-configurable option. With warnings. =]
                                    >>
                                    >> I'm still hoping to convince Hessu to implement a more flexible
                                    >> telemetry format. I've got one designed. Might just have to implement
                                    >> it myself and see if it gets any traction.
                                    >>
                                    >> Scott
                                    >>
                                    >> On 2/7/2013 7:15 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
                                    >>> Be aware that Pete, AE5PL and author of javAPRSSrvr which powers many of
                                    >>> the APRS-IS servers, is on record that his filter implementation in the
                                    >>> new 4.x release requires strict adherence to the original aprs101.pdf
                                    >>> definition of 0..127 for telemetry values. A t/t (type telemetry)
                                    >>> filter will NOT pass a telemetry packet with any data value outside this
                                    >>> range. The only way such a packet would be received is if it is passed
                                    >>> by some other filter element (like range or buddy or some-such).

                                  • Matthew Cook
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 7, 2013
                                      Scott,

                                      I've sent a few of those packets to the APRS-IS servers, they did appear to go through to aprs.fi...   There was a little sillyness until I resent a PARM packet manually with new scaling factors etc...  it doesn't fix all of the problems with telemetry but the additional range is nice.. especially for measureing battery voltage in millivolts....

                                      We should be flying new APRS trackers in our next HAB launch later this month (or early next month) with this new compressed base-91 telemetry code in it.

                                      73's

                                      Matthew
                                      VK5ZM

                                      <*> Your email settings:
                                          Individual Email | Traditional

                                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                                      <*> To change settings via email:
                                          tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                          tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                      --
                                      Matthew
                                      VK5ZM
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 7, 2013
                                        On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 9:10 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

                                        > My proposed format is variable-length, more efficient, and lets you
                                        > specify profiles for metadata - either a standard pre-defined profile
                                        > (e.g., T3 profile with 1 temperature, 1 count, and 5 voltage readings)
                                        > or a profile you'd create yourself on the site. Because from what I've
                                        > seen, most folks don't need equations and labels on the air, they just
                                        > want the data presented nicely online.

                                        The base-91 has the variable length concept...

                                        The metadata sounds like the existing parameter definitions just with
                                        a different coat of paint. Sounds like you are advocating defining the
                                        metadata directly on aprs.fi via the web interface. You define the
                                        metadata currently via APRS with a few APRS messages sent to the
                                        specific callsign. Do that once every few years to keep aprs.fi up to
                                        date and you're there.

                                        I'm game to hear different though... what about defining it on the
                                        wiki where it can be discussed and documented rather than just in an
                                        email? It's kind of out of the scope of what the reflector is about.

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Feb 8, 2013
                                          I wrote up a sheet about it some time back. If I can figure out where I
                                          put it, I'll post it to the wiki.

                                          Scott