OT USB Telemetry

  • n9tkf
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 3 2:44 PM
      I have an OT USB that I am using for telemetry. It seems that the telemetry inputs on CN-4 are a bit skewed. CN-4 pin 5 is connected directly to my battery. Measured voltage is 13.1 but the telemetry value reported is 164. I expected the telemetry value to be 131. I also noticed my reported battery voltage in the comment field is 16.4V.

      Firmware version 55871 installed.

      CN4 pin 1 should be directly connected to the +5 volt supply according to the schematic. The voltage on this pin measures 4.23V. I measured the output on the +5V regulator and it is 4.99V. The 1 wire temperature pin 2 seems to be ok. I have a light sensor and moisture sensors connected to the CN4 header also.

      I have EXTTEMP on, and voltage and temperature reporting in the comment section. Here is a link to my telemetry page : http://aprs.fi/telemetry/a/N9TKF-4

      Has anyone encountered this problem and have a solution?

      John N9TKF
    • Joe Della Barba
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 4 5:13 AM

        My OT-3M has been reporting 0.3 volts low for about a year now.

        I could change the telemetry by sending a message if I can remember the format, but that won’t help the comment field.

        So – is there an adjustment for this?

        Joe Della Barba

        joe@...

        N3HGB-5

        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 4 6:07 AM
          I did look at your telemetry values before I posted. Your telemetry values show:::Battery: 12.900 Volts (TLM: 129 EQN: 0,0.1,0). The TLM: 129 corelates to 12.9 volts *10 as stated in the Telemetry Wiki. I should have a value of TLM: 131 on the channel None on my graph. Channel None is is TLM:164 but I have 13.1 volts connected to that channel. I did erase and re-flash the firmware but no luck.

          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 4 2:39 PM
            There's not presently an adjustment, but I should be able to add that in
            the next firmware version. Everything is referenced to an internal band
            gap reference, so it should be independent of the supply voltage (which
            runs lower than 5v because it's got a series diode) and I can simply
            adjust what the expected voltage of the band gap is.

            Scott

            On 2/4/2013 5:13 AM, Joe Della Barba wrote:
            > My OT-3M has been reporting 0.3 volts low for about a year now.
            >
            > I could change the telemetry by sending a message if I can remember the
            > format, but that won’t help the comment field.
            >
            > So – is there an adjustment for this?
            >
            > Joe Della Barba
            >
            > joe@... <mailto:joe@...>
            >
            > N3HGB-5

          • n9tkf
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 4 3:48 PM
              Thanks Scott for looking into this. I do have a question though, if I put 20 volts on say CN-4 pin 3 (analog input 1), what value would be output in the telemetry string for analog 1? Would it be 200? It seems my OT USB is maxed out at 164 with only 5 volts.

              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 6 8:13 PM
                Yes, it should read 200. It might not get all the way to 200, depending
                on the exact supply voltage the MCU is getting. The limit is actually
                4xVdd and on newer units with the isolation diode Vdd is slightly less
                than 5v. You should still have to put in 16.4v to get a reading of 164,
                though.

                Scott

              • n9tkf
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 7 6:43 AM
                  I did some testing last night and found if I put 5 volts on any of the analog pins on CN4 that all of them would give me a max count of 164.By max count I mean the maximum number reported in the telemetry output (TLM: 164). This would make sense since Vdd is ~4.2 volts as measured on CN4-1. My battery voltage reported in the comment section is 16.4V and I am running off a 12V battery. Not sure why the numbers don't match. By having only 164 counts the resolution of my LM355 is 4.64 degF. Would it be possible to program more resolution into the telemetry inputs?

                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 7 9:05 AM
                    Sounds like maybe there's something wrong with the voltage dividers.
                    There's a green resistor pack on the left side of the board, and a row
                    of resistors close to the CN4 pins. Do those look OK?

                    As for the resolution, the ADC can do 12 bits, and the telemetry fields
                    could represent 000-999, though that's not in the original spec. I
                    might make that an option, to scale the 12-bit samples to fit that range.

                    Scott

                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 7 5:23 PM
                      On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

                      > As for the resolution, the ADC can do 12 bits, and the telemetry fields
                      > could represent 000-999, though that's not in the original spec. I
                      > might make that an option, to scale the 12-bit samples to fit that range.

                      There is precedence for the nearly 10 bit resolution... the TinyTrak
                      line does high resolution telemetry.

                      We asked about it on the APRSISCE/32 forum and got a response from Bob.

                      Searching the suggested files didn't turn up anything, but that
                      doesn't stop people from playing. Documentation in the APRS world
                      seems to lag just a bit.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 7 6:49 PM
                        I remember discussing it with Bob years ago. I'll put it on my list to
                        add as an option.

                        Scott

                        On 2/7/2013 5:23 PM, James Ewen wrote:
                        > On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Scott Miller scott@...
                        > <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>> wrote:
                        >
                        > > As for the resolution, the ADC can do 12 bits, and the telemetry fields
                        > > could represent 000-999, though that's not in the original spec. I
                        > > might make that an option, to scale the 12-bit samples to fit that range.
                        >
                        > There is precedence for the nearly 10 bit resolution... the TinyTrak
                        > line does high resolution telemetry.
                        >
                        > We asked about it on the APRSISCE/32 forum and got a response from Bob.

                        > Searching the suggested files didn't turn up anything, but that
                        > doesn't stop people from playing. Documentation in the APRS world
                        > seems to lag just a bit.
                        >
                        > --
                        > James
                        > VE6SRV

                      • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 7 7:15 PM
                          Be aware that Pete, AE5PL and author of javAPRSSrvr which powers many of
                          the APRS-IS servers, is on record that his filter implementation in the
                          new 4.x release requires strict adherence to the original aprs101.pdf
                          definition of 0..127 for telemetry values. A t/t (type telemetry)
                          filter will NOT pass a telemetry packet with any data value outside this
                          range. The only way such a packet would be received is if it is passed
                          by some other filter element (like range or buddy or some-such).

                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 7 7:48 PM
                            And this is why it'll be a user-configurable option. With warnings. =]

                            I'm still hoping to convince Hessu to implement a more flexible
                            telemetry format. I've got one designed. Might just have to implement
                            it myself and see if it gets any traction.

                            Scott

                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 7 7:59 PM
                              On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 8:48 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

                              > I'm still hoping to convince Hessu to implement a more flexible
                              > telemetry format. I've got one designed. Might just have to implement
                              > it myself and see if it gets any traction.

                              In what way? The APRS telemetry format is defined in the APRS
                              protocol, not by Hessu. We have tried to get Hessu to support a new
                              RANGE statement back in December of 2011. It does not require any
                              changes to the APRS protocol as it is simply an APRS message. It would
                              however need to be interpreted by aprs.fi, or any other APRS program
                              that displayed telemetry data graphically.

                              ******************

                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 7 8:03 PM
                                Were you aware of the Base91 telemetry extension described at:

                                http://he.fi/doc/aprs-base91-comment-telemetry.txt

                                It allows telemetry data to appear in a posit comment and allows values
                                from 0..8280 (13 bits per sample). It still has sequence in there, but
                                you don't have to provide all 5 values unless you want to include the 8
                                binary bits which come at the end.

                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 7 8:07 PM
                                  On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 9:03 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                                  <ldeffenb@...> wrote:

                                  > Were you aware of the Base91 telemetry extension described at:
                                  >
                                  > http://he.fi/doc/aprs-base91-comment-telemetry.txt
                                  >
                                  > It allows telemetry data to appear in a posit comment and allows values
                                  > from 0..8280 (13 bits per sample). It still has sequence in there, but
                                  > you don't have to provide all 5 values unless you want to include the 8
                                  > binary bits which come at the end.

                                  And that one is the sweetest way to do telemetry... high resolution,
                                  adaptable to the number of values to be represented, and squeezed down
                                  tighter than concentrated orange juice from Florida!

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 7 8:10 PM
                                    I mean I came up with a more flexible format for telemetry, and I'm
                                    trying to talk Hessu into supporting it. If aprs.fi can handle it,
                                    that's what most of my users need and other clients would probably
                                    follow suit.

                                    My proposed format is variable-length, more efficient, and lets you
                                    specify profiles for metadata - either a standard pre-defined profile
                                    (e.g., T3 profile with 1 temperature, 1 count, and 5 voltage readings)
                                    or a profile you'd create yourself on the site. Because from what I've
                                    seen, most folks don't need equations and labels on the air, they just
                                    want the data presented nicely online.

                                    Scott

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 7 8:11 PM
                                      I think it was in an earlier stage when I saw it last. I'll look it over.

                                      Scott

                                      On 2/7/2013 8:03 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
                                      > Were you aware of the Base91 telemetry extension described at:
                                      >
                                      > http://he.fi/doc/aprs-base91-comment-telemetry.txt
                                      >
                                      > It allows telemetry data to appear in a posit comment and allows values
                                      > from 0..8280 (13 bits per sample). It still has sequence in there, but
                                      > you don't have to provide all 5 values unless you want to include the 8
                                      > binary bits which come at the end.

                                      > On 2/7/2013 10:48 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
                                      >> And this is why it'll be a user-configurable option. With warnings. =]
                                      >>
                                      >> I'm still hoping to convince Hessu to implement a more flexible
                                      >> telemetry format. I've got one designed. Might just have to implement
                                      >> it myself and see if it gets any traction.
                                      >>
                                      >> Scott
                                      >>
                                      >> On 2/7/2013 7:15 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
                                      >>> Be aware that Pete, AE5PL and author of javAPRSSrvr which powers many of
                                      >>> the APRS-IS servers, is on record that his filter implementation in the
                                      >>> new 4.x release requires strict adherence to the original aprs101.pdf
                                      >>> definition of 0..127 for telemetry values. A t/t (type telemetry)
                                      >>> filter will NOT pass a telemetry packet with any data value outside this
                                      >>> range. The only way such a packet would be received is if it is passed
                                      >>> by some other filter element (like range or buddy or some-such).

                                    • Matthew Cook
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 7 8:30 PM
                                        Scott,

                                        I've sent a few of those packets to the APRS-IS servers, they did appear to go through to aprs.fi...   There was a little sillyness until I resent a PARM packet manually with new scaling factors etc...  it doesn't fix all of the problems with telemetry but the additional range is nice.. especially for measureing battery voltage in millivolts....

                                        We should be flying new APRS trackers in our next HAB launch later this month (or early next month) with this new compressed base-91 telemetry code in it.

                                        73's

                                        Matthew
                                        VK5ZM

                                        <*> Your email settings:
                                            Individual Email | Traditional

                                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                                        <*> To change settings via email:
                                            tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                            tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                        --
                                        Matthew
                                        VK5ZM
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Feb 7 10:32 PM
                                          On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 9:10 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

                                          > My proposed format is variable-length, more efficient, and lets you
                                          > specify profiles for metadata - either a standard pre-defined profile
                                          > (e.g., T3 profile with 1 temperature, 1 count, and 5 voltage readings)
                                          > or a profile you'd create yourself on the site. Because from what I've
                                          > seen, most folks don't need equations and labels on the air, they just
                                          > want the data presented nicely online.

                                          The base-91 has the variable length concept...

                                          The metadata sounds like the existing parameter definitions just with
                                          a different coat of paint. Sounds like you are advocating defining the
                                          metadata directly on aprs.fi via the web interface. You define the
                                          metadata currently via APRS with a few APRS messages sent to the
                                          specific callsign. Do that once every few years to keep aprs.fi up to
                                          date and you're there.

                                          I'm game to hear different though... what about defining it on the
                                          wiki where it can be discussed and documented rather than just in an
                                          email? It's kind of out of the scope of what the reflector is about.

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Feb 8 9:42 AM
                                            I wrote up a sheet about it some time back. If I can figure out where I
                                            put it, I'll post it to the wiki.

                                            Scott