Tracker3 USB dongle

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 24, 2013
      The new minimalist T3 prototypes came in yesterday:

      http://n1vg.net/t3-dongle.jpg

      The only connections are the USB port, GPS connector, and 3.5mm plug
      with audio in, audio out, PTT, and ground. I'll be working on cramming
      the whole thing, along with a GT-525 GPS receiver, into a small housing.
      For stand-alone operation it'll plug in to an off-the-shelf USB power
      adapter or battery pack.

      It'll need at least one more board tweak before it's ready, but if
      there's enough interest they could be in production in 6-8 weeks.

      Scott
    • Thomas
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 24, 2013
        Very nice!

        Will you also sell these without the heavy USB connector soldered on?

        Thomas
        KT5TK

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 24, 2013
          I could, but they'd be hard to program. I've got another (not as small)
          board on the way that has a mini-USB connector.

          Scott

          On 1/24/2013 10:05 AM, Thomas wrote:
          > Very nice!
          >
          > Will you also sell these without the heavy USB connector soldered on?
          >
          > Thomas
          > KT5TK

          > Scott Miller wrote:
          > >
          > > The new minimalist T3 prototypes came in yesterday:
          > >
          > > http://n1vg.net/t3-dongle.jpg

        • Matthew Cook
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 24, 2013
            One of the things I've noticed is that everyone seems to be migrating to USB based devices, however no one considered the ergonomics of using it eg Funcube Dongles !

            Many laptops put the USB ports either out the left or right side of the keyboard, if you're lucky out the back.  This is fine for USB flash drives and things when the laptop is sitting on a desk.  However trying to balance this on your lap in a bus, on  a train or front seat of a car even your couch is a nightmare.   Heaven help you if you drop the laptop with the USB device hanging out the side.. always results in tears.

            So to fix this problem you end up buying a 0.5m USB extension cable and hang the device away from the laptop, however USB connectors are not positive locking so cable ties or tape are required to hold everything together.  More fustration as things are pulled or fall out the back/side of the laptop.

            Looking at the images of your new T3 that screams soft silicon over mould at me.  With the T3 PCB and connectors as a soft silicon blob with a 0.5m USB cable moulded into the other end you would have something very useful for field operation.  I've found that soft silicon overmoulds are not as expensive as you might think, especially done on the sub-continent.  I've designed USB dongle/blocks like this for the military and commercial users with great success, had the added benefit of making them rather waterproof (subject to connectors) and very resilient and robust to shock and vibration.  Haven't had one back yet.

            Definitely food for thought. YMMV.

            73's

            Matthew
            VK5ZM

            On 25 January 2013 04:48, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
            I could, but they'd be hard to program.  I've got another (not as small)
            board on the way that has a mini-USB connector.

            Scott

            On 1/24/2013 10:05 AM, Thomas wrote:
            > Very nice!
            >
            > Will you also sell these without the heavy USB connector soldered on?
            >
            > Thomas
            > KT5TK

            > Scott Miller wrote:
            >  >
            >  > The new minimalist T3 prototypes came in yesterday:
            >  >
            >  > http://n1vg.net/t3-dongle.jpg
            >  >

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            --
            Matthew
            VK5ZM
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 24, 2013
              Hi Matthew,

              I just got the alternate board layout in today, and this one has all of
              the components, aside from connectors, on the bottom. They extend 1.5mm
              below the board, so it should be possible to get a housing around it and
              still have clearance on the bottom.

              Last time I looked at overmolding, domestic outfits were way too
              expensive. I haven't looked overseas for that particular sort of mold.

              I'm also working on integrating the GPS into the same housing, so that
              will restrict my options a bit.

              As soon as I get an hour or two to work on it, I'll design a simple
              housing that we can 3D print. The surface finish isn't good and it's
              hard to make thin-walled parts that snap together accurately, but it's
              nice for prototyping. The CNC milling machine produces much better
              results, and for small quantities I might try making a mold for some
              sort of urethane resin.

              Scott

            • Matthew Cook
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 24, 2013
                Hi Scott,

                Sounds like you're having fun :)

                When I get home tonight I'll dig up my over mould contact and send you an email.  Last time I did an over mould I used a soft tool (alumina) which was supposed to be good for only 1000-2000 pieces.  I got just over 3000 pieces from it.  The cost was about the same as if I took a normal box and had holes milled in it... I pocketed the money I saved in assembly time :)

                In terms of the GPS I'd just run a RG174 cable out the back with an SMA connector on it.  Give it 4" of cable and let it dangle, the audio could be done the same way..  would make things like telemetry and 1-wire weather stations a tad more difficult but depends on how you're positioning your product and for what purpose.

                You've got a 3D printer.. very cool !  Haven't taken the plunge yet.

                73's

                Matthew
                VK5ZM

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 24, 2013
                  On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Matthew Cook <vk5zm@...> wrote:

                  > however USB connectors are not
                  > positive locking so cable ties or tape are required to hold everything
                  > together. More fustration as things are pulled or fall out the back/side of
                  > the laptop.

                  You should look into using a DE-9 connector... they are very robust,
                  and have screws on either side of the connector to make a positive
                  secure connection. If you use pins 2 and 3 for RX and TX, and pin 5
                  for GND, and use RS-232 serial communication protocol, you could do
                  away with having to deal with all the complexity of USB operations and
                  the requisite drivers and such...

                  Of yeah, serial communications is too hard to deal with... USB is better! :)

                  I don't want all kinds of blobs dangling off the computer. Put a USB
                  hub on the computer or use an extension cable if you don't want snappy
                  off bits sticking out of the unit.

                  I agree with your assessments, but you're damned if you do and damned
                  if you don't.

                  I think this new little device is pretty sweet. Not sure if it would
                  find a use in my world. All my OT3s are stand alone digipeaters. It
                  would be handy to take as a travel device, where you can plug a cable
                  into an HT and play APRS on the road in a hotel, but I have a D72 to
                  do that all in one box.

                • Matthew Cook
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 24, 2013
                    On 25 January 2013 12:46, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

                    On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Matthew Cook vk5zm@...> wrote:

                    > however USB connectors are not
                    > positive locking so cable ties or tape are required to hold everything
                    > together. More fustration as things are pulled or fall out the back/side of
                    > the laptop.

                    You should look into using a DE-9 connector... they are very robust,
                    and have screws on either side of the connector to make a positive
                    secure connection. If you use pins 2 and 3 for RX and TX, and pin 5
                    for GND, and use RS-232 serial communication protocol, you could do
                    away with having to deal with all the complexity of USB operations and
                    the requisite drivers and such...

                    Of yeah, serial communications is too hard to deal with... USB is better! :)

                    You actually had me going here for a bit and it is nice to see someone else who knows their sub-D connector standards :)

                    I don't want all kinds of blobs dangling off the computer. Put a USB
                    hub on the computer or use an extension cable if you don't want snappy
                    off bits sticking out of the unit.

                    I agree with your assessments, but you're damned if you do and damned
                    if you don't.

                    Yupe it depends on your product positioning and feature set...  I still think USB is good for some laptop/computer requirements but sucky for others.

                    I think this new little device is pretty sweet. Not sure if it would
                    find a use in my world. All my OT3s are stand alone digipeaters. It
                    would be handy to take as a travel device, where you can plug a cable
                    into an HT and play APRS on the road in a hotel, but I have a D72 to
                    do that all in one box.

                    The size is nice, reminds me the first time I bought a OT+ SMD :)

                    Recently I married a roving networks bluetooth module with my D710 in the car and now enjoy bluetooth wireless between the laptop, android phone and D710 serial output.   Thinking about my comments earlier this might be better than USB, no wires at all.  However the roving networks modules aren't without their problems, but that could be addressed in the T3 firmware (ie getting them into broadcast mode).. I had to use a small micro to solve my problem.   I truely wish my D72 had a decent bluetooth module inside for the same purpose, what a wonderful toy err HT that would make !

                    73's

                    Matthew
                    VK5ZM
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 24, 2013
                      On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 7:45 PM, Matthew Cook <vk5zm@...> wrote:

                      > Recently I married a roving networks bluetooth module with my D710 in the
                      > car and now enjoy bluetooth wireless between the laptop, android phone and
                      > D710 serial output. Thinking about my comments earlier this might be
                      > better than USB, no wires at all. However the roving networks modules
                      > aren't without their problems, but that could be addressed in the T3
                      > firmware (ie getting them into broadcast mode).. I had to use a small micro
                      > to solve my problem. I truely wish my D72 had a decent bluetooth module
                      > inside for the same purpose, what a wonderful toy err HT that would make !

                      I've been thinking about doing the same with my D710. Did you embed
                      the bluetooth unit in the control head, or do you have it dangling off
                      the back of the unit?

                      I looked at the the RN-41 to embed, and also the RN220XP as a toy for
                      work so I can sit in my nice warm truck while connected to those
                      blasted radios out in the chilly world, and poke and prod them.

                      e-bay is infested with cheaper class 2 devices, which I am sorely
                      tempted to purchase and try out, but I have yet to break down and set
                      up an e-bay account and make the plunge.

                      Do you have any photos, construction images, or drawings of the D710 interface?

                    • Matthew Cook
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 24, 2013
                        On 25 January 2013 13:38, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

                        On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 7:45 PM, Matthew Cook vk5zm@...> wrote:

                        > Recently I married a roving networks bluetooth module with my D710 in the
                        > car and now enjoy bluetooth wireless between the laptop, android phone and
                        > D710 serial output. Thinking about my comments earlier this might be
                        > better than USB, no wires at all. However the roving networks modules
                        > aren't without their problems, but that could be addressed in the T3
                        > firmware (ie getting them into broadcast mode).. I had to use a small micro
                        > to solve my problem. I truely wish my D72 had a decent bluetooth module
                        > inside for the same purpose, what a wonderful toy err HT that would make !

                        I've been thinking about doing the same with my D710. Did you embed
                        the bluetooth unit in the control head, or do you have it dangling off
                        the back of the unit?

                        I looked at the the RN-41 to embed, and also the RN220XP as a toy for
                        work so I can sit in my nice warm truck while connected to those
                        blasted radios out in the chilly world, and poke and prod them.

                        I've used the RN-41 modules, it all sits in a box on the back of the head.  I've tapped the 8V out of the radio/head cable and regulate this down to 3.3V.  The internal regulator in the D710 body gets a little warmer, but not stonking hot or at risk of damange.  The RN modules I used have one bug-bear in that they won't automatically go in to Broadcast mode, so at power on they hide and don't tell you they are there.  So you have to go into your phone/laptop bluetooth settings and tell it to connect.  I'm not keen on that so I've put a small 8-pin micro with some code in it that puts the RN module into the right mode so that then the radio turns on (powerup), it makes the TN tell the world it's there and the laptop or phone will automatically connect.

                        I've used these modules in a recent product that allows me to do drive by fault finding and data reading (I actually don't have to stop)...  so I'm reasonably happy with the RN products.

                        e-bay is infested with cheaper class 2 devices, which I am sorely
                        tempted to purchase and try out, but I have yet to break down and set
                        up an e-bay account and make the plunge.

                        I can purchase the RN-41 for A$20 in one off qtys with free shipping, so I never felt I needed to head to e-bay.  I too don't have an account either.

                        Do you have any photos, construction images, or drawings of the D710 interface?

                        Umm nope, never documented or blogged it.  It's embarrasingly all held together with hot-melt glue, chocks of foam and other such things.   Happy to scribble something on some paper if you like, there was something from a US supplier that was similar that I copied.  Will see if I can find the URL when I get home from work.

                        73's
                        --
                        Matthew
                        VK5ZM
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 24, 2013
                          > I think this new little device is pretty sweet. Not sure if it would
                          > find a use in my world. All my OT3s are stand alone digipeaters. It
                          > would be handy to take as a travel device, where you can plug a cable
                          > into an HT and play APRS on the road in a hotel, but I have a D72 to
                          > do that all in one box.

                          I'm not certain how much demand there might be for this version, but
                          they're relatively cheap and easy to produce and I'm all for stocking
                          more items that don't require long lead times and large MOQs like the
                          OT3m cases.

                          Also, with the GPS receiver installed it can take the place of a USB GPS
                          receiver as well.

                          And sometimes it's just fun to see how small a board you can cram
                          everything onto. Just built a USB keyboard emulator into a board that's
                          1/2 square inch, single sided, including the USB connector.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 24, 2013
                            > When I get home tonight I'll dig up my over mould contact and send you
                            > an email. Last time I did an over mould I used a soft tool (alumina)
                            > which was supposed to be good for only 1000-2000 pieces. I got just
                            > over 3000 pieces from it. The cost was about the same as if I took a
                            > normal box and had holes milled in it... I pocketed the money I saved in
                            > assembly time :)

                            Great, I appreciate it! The GTRANS was originally designed for that
                            sort of packaging. We had to move to a plastic enclosure to accommodate
                            the switching power supply the newer nuvis need, though, and the
                            contract manufacturer was having no end of trouble getting 48-pad QFNs
                            on those tiny, thin boards reliably and I got *really* tired of doing
                            rework.

                            > be done the same way.. would make things like telemetry and 1-wire
                            > weather stations a tad more difficult but depends on how you're
                            > positioning your product and for what purpose.

                            This is definitely aimed at basic setups, though of course it's still
                            usable as a digi and everything. The DIP module will be more useful for
                            telemetry applications. And I've been tempted to make a DIN rail
                            mounted one with lots of extra I/Os.

                            > You've got a 3D printer.. very cool ! Haven't taken the plunge yet.

                            Just a basic single extruder with 6x6x6 inch build area. But when I was
                            working on a custom button panel, I found I could turn around a revision
                            in under half an hour, with minimal material cost. It certainly has its
                            uses.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 24, 2013
                              On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 8:40 PM, Matthew Cook <vk5zm@...> wrote:

                              >> Do you have any photos, construction images, or drawings of the D710
                              >> interface?
                              >

                              > Umm nope, never documented or blogged it.  It's embarrasingly all held
                              > together with hot-melt glue, chocks of foam and other such things.   Happy
                              > to scribble something on some paper if you like, there was something from a
                              > US supplier that was similar that I copied.  Will see if I can find the URL
                              > when I get home from work.

                              Here's a real simple schematic for powering up a BT module and interfacing to a serial port. Dan YO3GGX uses this configuration for creating a BlueCat interface.
                              Inline image 1
                              This should work for the D710. It can be fed with the 8 volts available in the head.

                            • Larry Sack
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 25, 2013
                                Scott,

                                Cool stuff with the dongle. What kind of connector is that for the audio? Must be a four conductor deal . . .

                                What kind of applications do you see for this device? With the USB power packs out there, this thing could run for a very long time next to a HT.

                                Same code as the OT3m?

                                Larry Sack, N8QNM
                              • rcgreenw
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 25, 2013
                                  > I could, but they'd be hard to program. I've got another (not as small)
                                  > board on the way that has a mini-USB connector.

                                  I would go with the mini-USB. Most of us already have a mini-USB cable (or several) lying around, and there are lots of mini-USB power supplies already on the market.

                                  --Rich
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 31, 2013
                                    It's a 4-conductor 3.5mm jack. Right now my biggest problem with the
                                    design is that I either need to eliminate the HT and HI jumpers or make
                                    it easy to open the case.

                                    I see this as being potentially useful for laptop setups where you don't
                                    want to mess with a sound card packet interface. Should also be useful
                                    for simple embedded applications that don't need extra I/Os.

                                    Yes, it's still a T3. The code is exactly the same.

                                    Scott

                                    On 1/25/2013 5:23 AM, Larry Sack wrote:
                                    > Scott,
                                    >
                                    > Cool stuff with the dongle. What kind of connector is that for the
                                    > audio? Must be a four conductor deal . . .
                                    >
                                    > What kind of applications do you see for this device? With the USB power
                                    > packs out there, this thing could run for a very long time next to a HT.
                                    >
                                    > Same code as the OT3m?
                                    >
                                    > Larry Sack, N8QNM

                                  • Matthew Cook
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 31, 2013
                                      No spare I/O ? Couple of well placed MOSFET's and make it a software option.

                                      73's

                                      Matthew
                                      VK5ZM

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 31, 2013
                                        That's the idea right now, but it's a pretty tight squeeze already, and
                                        I'm reluctant to add one more firmware variation.

                                        Scott