Re: UPDATE: OTm2 receives but stops DIGI peating/Packet decoding

  • JohnD
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 19, 2013
      The RCV light was still responding whenever the APRS radio was receiving.

      As I was trying to plug in the serial cable the unit reset. :-(
      I had to do it blind, and I probably shorted a few pins in the DB9 socket. I left the cable attached... I will get a DUMP when it happens again.

      BTW - do you want DUMP or DUMP ALL along with INFO?
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 31, 2013
        I finally got a chance to try replicating that packet, and it doesn't
        seem to cause any harm. It doesn't decode to the proper position
        because of the mangled character, but it also doesn't cause the OT2m to
        lock up.

        If anyone has this happening on a regular basis, let me know. I have an
        audio recorder with a DB9 tap that can go on an OT2m for some hours and
        record all of the traffic.

        Scott

        On 1/18/2013 8:06 PM, JohnD wrote:

        > We may have something to go on here.
        >
        > I created a group photo album called "OT2m Poison Packets"
        > You must view these pictures at original size to read them...
        >
        > There is a pic of the frozen OT2m LCD screen showing a packet from K0HAX
        > with a bogus distance of 6316 miles. (OT2m HUD.png)
        >
        > I looked at my aprs station data in APRS.fi and my last position packet
        > was 2013-01-18 @ 00:56:34 (k0jdd.png)
        >
        > I looked at the k0hax aprs station data for around that time and there
        > is a packet with bad mic-e data on 2013-01-18 @ 01:04:13 (k0hax.png)
        >
        > I am working on capturing a DUMP - got to find the serial adapter and
        > get the PC booted up. Might be Saturday morning. I will email it to
        > Scott asap.

      • JohnD
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 6, 2013
          Latest incident occurred on Feb 2013 @ about 06:40 am Central time.

          Video this time.

          Part 1. T2 totally frozen this time and not responding to RX or console. No DUMP possible, sorry.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0TWU6v8_1E

          Part 2. Power cycle and POST.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9hy7msu0Ag

          Observations
          1. Station K0HAX was the last station to be received/displayed, again.

          2. K0HAX Packet has bad MICe characters, again.

          3. Seems highly improbable that the /next/ packet to be received is actually causing the problem.

          Uploaded my T2 config to files area just in case I have something *stupid* in there…
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 6, 2013
            You're right, it seems unlikely that it's something other than the bad
            Mic-E station. Unless maybe the LCD is getting stuck on that packet,
            and the lock-up is unrelated. The weird part is that it dies *after*
            sending it to the LCD. All of the parsing and distance/bearing
            calculation is already done.

            I checked out your configuration file, and it looks like you've got a
            problem with the profile switching setup. Both conditions are set
            identically, so if the profile switching condition is met it'll keep
            bouncing back and forth between profiles every second. The profiles
            appear to be identical, but you'll still have problems because it
            flushes buffers and resets some things each time that happens.

            Scott

            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 6, 2013
              I've just updated otwincfg to add a check for duplicate switching
              conditions like this. It now won't allow you to set conditions that
              could clearly result in constant switching. It's not an exhaustive
              check, but it should catch the obvious ones.

              Scott

              On 2/6/2013 6:16 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
              > You're right, it seems unlikely that it's something other than the bad
              > Mic-E station. Unless maybe the LCD is getting stuck on that packet,
              > and the lock-up is unrelated. The weird part is that it dies *after*
              > sending it to the LCD. All of the parsing and distance/bearing
              > calculation is already done.
              >
              > I checked out your configuration file, and it looks like you've got a
              > problem with the profile switching setup. Both conditions are set
              > identically, so if the profile switching condition is met it'll keep
              > bouncing back and forth between profiles every second. The profiles
              > appear to be identical, but you'll still have problems because it
              > flushes buffers and resets some things each time that happens.
              >
              > Scott
              >
              > On 2/6/2013 4:34 PM, JohnD wrote:
              >> Latest incident occurred on Feb 2013 @ about 06:40 am Central time.
              >>
              >> Video this time.
              >>
              >> Part 1. T2 totally frozen this time and not responding to RX or console.
              >> No DUMP possible, sorry.
              >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0TWU6v8_1E
              >>
              >> Part 2. Power cycle and POST.
              >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9hy7msu0Ag
              >>
              >> Observations
              >> 1. Station K0HAX was the last station to be received/displayed, again.
              >>
              >> 2. K0HAX Packet has bad MICe characters, again.
              >>
              >> 3. Seems highly improbable that the /next/ packet to be received is
              >> actually causing the problem.
              >>
              >> Uploaded my T2 config to files area just in case I have something
              >> *stupid* in there…

            • vk7ha
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 25, 2013

                I have been searching through the forums and noticed a few "lock up" issues with Tracker 2 and 3 units. Testing mine the past few days and I noticed a similar problem.

                It is setup as a WIDE digipeater and after a few minutes it stopped digipeating and responding. The LED's on the front went out and no commands through putty would respond. I have to manually power the unit on and off. This happened a few times with random lock ups after less than 5 mins. I reflashed firmware to current release, and reloaded my config in. Still problems.

                I then sent a software reset over the command, and it seems to have been working fine for the past hour, however this will be on a remote site from here so want to make sure that I don't get another lock up. I plan to put a DTMF controller linked to my voice repeater so that I can remote reset the digipeater however.

                I can't do a DUMP or INFO as I couldn't access the terminal.

                Thanks

                Hayden

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 25, 2013
                    The DUMP output plus your firmware revision number is what I really
                    need. That gives me the entire contents of RAM and I can look at every
                    flag and every variable and see what's broken.

                    And if you haven't already, make sure you're running a current firmware
                    revision. Could be the problem is already fixed, and for some of the
                    old versions I might be missing the linker map file that I need to
                    decode the dump.

                    Scott

                    On 10/25/2013 3:44 AM, haydenph91@... wrote:
                    > Another update, the tracker stopped receiving again.
                    >

                    > It was still working via a terminal so I sent another reset command and
                    > it starting receiving again. I'll do a INFO or DUMP if it happens again.
                    >

                    > Hayden
                    >

                    > ---In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, wrote:
                    >
                    > I have been searching through the forums and noticed a few "lock up"
                    > issues with Tracker 2 and 3 units. Testing mine the past few days and I
                    > noticed a similar problem.
                    >

                    > It is setup as a WIDE digipeater and after a few minutes it stopped
                    > digipeating and responding. The LED's on the front went out and no
                    > commands through putty would respond. I have to manually power the unit
                    > on and off. This happened a few times with random lock ups after less
                    > than 5 mins. I reflashed firmware to current release, and reloaded my
                    > config in. Still problems.
                    >
                    > I then sent a software reset over the command, and it seems to have been
                    > working fine for the past hour, however this will be on a remote site
                    > from here so want to make sure that I don't get another lock up. I plan
                    > to put a DTMF controller linked to my voice repeater so that I can
                    > remote reset the digipeater however.
                    >

                    > I can't do a DUMP or INFO as I couldn't access the terminal.
                    >

                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > Hayden

                  • Guido Tedeschi
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 25, 2013
                      It would be great if������������ you could help Scoot and he will fix the bug!
                      We did not have the capability to help him, because our digis are on remote sites and we are guest with no direct access.
                      We had to substitute all the OT2M with Microsat WX3IN1 in our five digipeaters, because it was a real nightmare with the "lock up", with some days that needed even two or three remote resets...
                      It was a pity, because the OT2M decodes very well and has script capability and many other great features.
                      If a fixed firmware will be released, that's will be great and we will use again our OT2M for other digis.
                      TNX and 73 de Guido, ik2bcp

                      ������������������������

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 25, 2013

                      Hi Scott.

                      I have done a INFO and a DUMP command and have attached to this message.

                      I left the unit overnight. It seemed to keep digipeating. I went for a drive earlier and the unit did not repeat all of my packets. When I got home, the front TX/RX LED was not blinking. I got my Kenwood TH-D72 handheld and sent a few packets, to which the first few did nothing, next few made the green LED blink, then it sent a beacon and then I sent it another packet then it digipeated that and went back to normal again.

                      I'm using a Philips PRM80 mobile radio with the mute set always open and software DCD.

                      Hopefully you can make something out of it.

                      My firmware revision is 56408

                      Regards

                      Message 11 of 22 , Oct 25, 2013

                       I'm not sure if my last message sent?

                      Attached are INFO and DUMP files.

                      Firmware is 56408

                      Hayden VK7HA

                      Message 12 of 22 , Oct 28, 2013
                        Thanks. Just to confirm, this dump was taken while the unit was in the
                        failed state, right? Was it failing to receive, or only failing to
                        digipeat?

                        Scott

                        On 10/25/2013 7:42 PM, haydenph91@... wrote:
                        > [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from haydenph91@... included below]
                        >
                        > I'm not sure if my last message sent?
                        >

                        > Attached are INFO and DUMP files.
                        >

                        > Firmware is 56408
                        >

                        > Hayden VK7HA
                        >

                        > ---In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, wrote:
                        >
                        > It would be great if������������ you could help Scoot and he will fix
                        > the bug!
                        > We did not have the capability to help him, because our digis are on
                        > remote sites and we are guest with no direct access.
                        > We had to substitute all the OT2M with Microsat WX3IN1 in our five
                        > digipeaters, because it was a real nightmare with the "lock up", with
                        > some days that needed even two or three remote resets...
                        > It was a pity, because the OT2M decodes very well and has script
                        > capability and many other great features.
                        > If a fixed firmware will be released, that's will be great and we will
                        > use again our OT2M for other digis.
                        > TNX and 73 de Guido, ik2bcp

                      • vk7ha
                        Message 13 of 22 , Oct 28, 2013

                          Further to my last message too - it was failing to receive as I had a Putty window open looking at packets.

                          I beaconed several times and it didn't register on the screen. So I did a power reset and it started to work properly again.

                          ---In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, <tracker2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                          Thanks. Just to confirm, this dump was taken while the unit was in the
                          failed state, right? Was it failing to receive, or only failing to
                          digipeat?

                          Scott

                          On 10/25/2013 7:42 PM, haydenph91@... wrote:
                          > [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from haydenph91@... included below]
                          >
                          > I'm not sure if my last message sent?
                          >

                          > Attached are INFO and DUMP files.
                          >

                          > Firmware is 56408
                          >

                          > Hayden VK7HA
                          >

                          > ---In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, wrote:
                          >
                          > It would be great if������������ you could help Scoot and he will fix
                          > the bug!
                          > We did not have the capability to help him, because our digis are on
                          > remote sites and we are guest with no direct access.
                          > We had to substitute all the OT2M with Microsat WX3IN1 in our five
                          > digipeaters, because it was a real nightmare with the "lock up", with
                          > some days that needed even two or three remote resets...
                          > It was a pity, because the OT2M decodes very well and has script
                          > capability and many other great features.
                          > If a fixed firmware will be released, that's will be great and we will
                          > use again our OT2M for other digis.
                          > TNX and 73 de Guido, ik2bcp

                        • vk7ha
                          Message 14 of 22 , Oct 28, 2013

                            Hi Scott,

                            The failure is intermittent now.

                            That dump was taken while it failed to receive (thus it also failed to digipeat).

                            However as I said it is intermittent. I used my Kenwood handheld to beacon several times, the LED did not light up, then by chance the unit beaconed (it's own callsign and data) and then I beaconed again and it picked me up. I have beaconed several times from my handheld standing outside the house and it fails to hear my packets.

                            Driving around listening on air it picks up probably 20% of my packets - I've tried two separate radios and I'm only a few hundred metres away down the road. It seems that when it receives a bunch of packets it gets upset and stops receiving/digipeating them.

                            The Green LED on the front flashes occasionally when running properly, but during the beaconing near the unit with my handheld the LED did not light up at all until after the unit transmitted it's own data.

                            I can also attach a config if you like.

                            Regards

                            Hayden

                            ---In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, <tracker2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                            Thanks. Just to confirm, this dump was taken while the unit was in the
                            failed state, right? Was it failing to receive, or only failing to
                            digipeat?

                            Scott

                            On 10/25/2013 7:42 PM, haydenph91@... wrote:
                            > [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from haydenph91@... included below]
                            >
                            > I'm not sure if my last message sent?
                            >

                            > Attached are INFO and DUMP files.
                            >

                            > Firmware is 56408
                            >

                            > Hayden VK7HA
                            >

                            > ---In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, wrote:
                            >
                            > It would be great if������������ you could help Scoot and he will fix
                            > the bug!
                            > We did not have the capability to help him, because our digis are on
                            > remote sites and we are guest with no direct access.
                            > We had to substitute all the OT2M with Microsat WX3IN1 in our five
                            > digipeaters, because it was a real nightmare with the "lock up", with
                            > some days that needed even two or three remote resets...
                            > It was a pity, because the OT2M decodes very well and has script
                            > capability and many other great features.
                            > If a fixed firmware will be released, that's will be great and we will
                            > use again our OT2M for other digis.
                            > TNX and 73 de Guido, ik2bcp

                          • vk7ha
                            Message 15 of 22 , Mar 2 2:39 AM
                              Hi Scott.
                              I got the Tracker3 back. I've just got around to reinterfacing it again.

                              All looks to be working - however I am still getting a transmit problem.
                              The Tracker3 works fine digipeating packets etc for about 20-30 minutes then it stops transmitting. The unit stops digipeating, or even transmitting a beacon of its own. The green light on the front flashes as normal.

                              I log into a putty window to get a INFO and DUMP and once I connect it begins working again for the same period of time.

                              I'm running firmware 56476.

                              Thanks

                            • vk7ha
                              Message 16 of 22 , Mar 2 2:01 PM
                                Downgraded to the firmware on the website and it seems to be working fine now.

                                I'll monitor throughout the next few days to see what happens - Scott is 56476 a beta firmware? I noticed it is only available via the "Web" upgrade button. Now running 56398.
                              • vk7ha
                                Message 17 of 22 , Mar 3 12:54 AM
                                  Another update - I tried to get some scripts working, but the Tracker3 decided to do it's lock up thing after 15 minutes again.

                                  I turned off the Script engine and restarted the Tracker3 and the same thing happened.
                                  I go into putty to get a INFO or DUMP and it starts working again with what must be the last packet received. Maybe it doesn't like a certain packet? I've had it running overnight fine.

                                  I can send you a DUMP or INFO if you want Scott.