Serial ports on the T3-135

  • ve7ltd
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 16, 2013
      I see that there are two "legacy serial ports" (non-USB) on the T3-135. One is router to the DB-9 on the back of the radio (pins 2/3/5), and one is internally routed to the Alinco motherboard.

      First let me explain that I am not using an Alinco, but instead interfacing this to a Motorola Maxtrac radio. I am trying to send either KISS or command line interface out through the front RJ-45 connector.

      But no matter what I hook up, I can't seem to get any serial data out of the system...

      I can configure the TNC using OTWINCFG, but only through the USB port it seems.

      So my questions are:
      1) Which serial port (A or B) in OTWINCFG is the rear connector?
      2) What do the TXD and RXD pins that are routed to the Alinco motherboard do? Can they also be used for control/KISS?
      3) Can the unit be configured through one of its serial ports instead of through USB?

      Thanks.

      Dave Cameron
      VE7LTD
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 16, 2013
        > 1) Which serial port (A or B) in OTWINCFG is the rear connector?

        Rear connector is port A. Front (normally input-only on the 135) is B.

        > 2) What do the TXD and RXD pins that are routed to the Alinco
        > motherboard do? Can they also be used for control/KISS?

        The RXD line comes from the data jack on the front of the radio when
        it's in data mode. Maybe it's possible to talk to the radio's MCU as
        well, never really spent any time trying to figure that out. I suspect
        that connection is disabled in data mode, but I'm not certain. Not
        relevant for your application, anyway. The port is fully functional, so
        you can use it for any port B mode.

        > 3) Can the unit be configured through one of its serial ports instead of
        > through USB?

        Yes, but only port A.

        You might also be interested in the embeddable module version of the
        OTUSB/T3 I'm testing now. The first board rev had some glitches but is
        usable with a jumper. It's smaller than the T3-135 and includes a
        regulator and a bunch of I/Os. I just redesigned it to fit all of the
        components on one side of the board and to make room for optional screw
        terminal blocks. Hadn't thought of that originally but my son swiped
        one of the prototypes to use as a USB keyboard emulator for his arcade
        cabinet project and that configuration worked out nicely. I'll have the
        new board rev in a couple of weeks.

        A new rev of the T3-135 is off to the board house for prototyping within
        the hour. This one just fixes a couple of glitches, changes the
        connector orientation, and shrinks the board by about 20%.

        Scott
      • ve7ltd
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 17, 2013
          Okay, so like a dummy I read the pin numbers on the connector wrong....

          So my problem now is I somehow have the TNC in a mode whereby when I try to access the TNC using the USB port, it sends messages with my callsign and some random text (actually transmits).

          It is like I have the USB in "converse" mode, and I can't seem to get it out.

          I have tried talking to the TNC using WINOTCFG through serial port A and USB, and it is not talking, just causing a lot of TX's flooding my local airwaves with garbage....

          Are the USB and Port A settings combined somehow? It seems that if I set the serial port configuration for Port A, the USB port seems to follow.

          Dave Cameron

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Scott Miller wrote:

          > > 1) Which serial port (A or B) in OTWINCFG is the rear connector?
          >
          > Rear connector is port A. Front (normally input-only on the 135) is B.
          >
          > > 2) What do the TXD and RXD pins that are routed to the Alinco
          > > motherboard do? Can they also be used for control/KISS?
          >
          > The RXD line comes from the data jack on the front of the radio when
          > it's in data mode. Maybe it's possible to talk to the radio's MCU as
          > well, never really spent any time trying to figure that out. I suspect
          > that connection is disabled in data mode, but I'm not certain. Not
          > relevant for your application, anyway. The port is fully functional, so
          > you can use it for any port B mode.
          >
          > > 3) Can the unit be configured through one of its serial ports instead of
          > > through USB?
          >
          > Yes, but only port A.
          >
          > You might also be interested in the embeddable module version of the
          > OTUSB/T3 I'm testing now. The first board rev had some glitches but is
          > usable with a jumper. It's smaller than the T3-135 and includes a
          > regulator and a bunch of I/Os. I just redesigned it to fit all of the
          > components on one side of the board and to make room for optional screw
          > terminal blocks. Hadn't thought of that originally but my son swiped
          > one of the prototypes to use as a USB keyboard emulator for his arcade
          > cabinet project and that configuration worked out nicely. I'll have the
          > new board rev in a couple of weeks.
          >
          > A new rev of the T3-135 is off to the board house for prototyping within
          > the hour. This one just fixes a couple of glitches, changes the
          > connector orientation, and shrinks the board by about 20%.
          >
          > Scott

        • ve7ltd
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 17, 2013
            The message it is sending is

            $~R/*reset*~R

            It transmits this out as a message over and over and over again. But the TNC is not listening it appears, because it never goes into configuration mode.

            Any ideas?

            Dave

            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "ve7ltd" wrote:

            > Okay, so like a dummy I read the pin numbers on the connector wrong....
            >
            > So my problem now is I somehow have the TNC in a mode whereby when I try to access the TNC using the USB port, it sends messages with my callsign and some random text (actually transmits).
            >
            > It is like I have the USB in "converse" mode, and I can't seem to get it out.
            >
            > I have tried talking to the TNC using WINOTCFG through serial port A and USB, and it is not talking, just causing a lot of TX's flooding my local airwaves with garbage....
            >
            > Are the USB and Port A settings combined somehow? It seems that if I set the serial port configuration for Port A, the USB port seems to follow.
            >
            > Dave Cameron
            >
            > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Scott Miller wrote:
            > >
            > > > 1) Which serial port (A or B) in OTWINCFG is the rear connector?
            > >
            > > Rear connector is port A. Front (normally input-only on the 135) is B.
            > >
            > > > 2) What do the TXD and RXD pins that are routed to the Alinco
            > > > motherboard do? Can they also be used for control/KISS?
            > >
            > > The RXD line comes from the data jack on the front of the radio when
            > > it's in data mode. Maybe it's possible to talk to the radio's MCU as
            > > well, never really spent any time trying to figure that out. I suspect
            > > that connection is disabled in data mode, but I'm not certain. Not
            > > relevant for your application, anyway. The port is fully functional, so
            > > you can use it for any port B mode.
            > >
            > > > 3) Can the unit be configured through one of its serial ports instead of
            > > > through USB?
            > >
            > > Yes, but only port A.
            > >
            > > You might also be interested in the embeddable module version of the
            > > OTUSB/T3 I'm testing now. The first board rev had some glitches but is
            > > usable with a jumper. It's smaller than the T3-135 and includes a
            > > regulator and a bunch of I/Os. I just redesigned it to fit all of the
            > > components on one side of the board and to make room for optional screw
            > > terminal blocks. Hadn't thought of that originally but my son swiped
            > > one of the prototypes to use as a USB keyboard emulator for his arcade
            > > cabinet project and that configuration worked out nicely. I'll have the
            > > new board rev in a couple of weeks.
            > >
            > > A new rev of the T3-135 is off to the board house for prototyping within
            > > the hour. This one just fixes a couple of glitches, changes the
            > > connector orientation, and shrinks the board by about 20%.
            > >
            > > Scott

          • ve7ltd
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 17, 2013
              I think I am getting somewhere - So if I plug the USB into my linux computer and read /dev/ttyACM0 at 9600 baud, I can see the data from the channel coming across, and I can see that the USB port is in CONVERSE mode.

              So I press CTRL-C and I get a cmd: prompt. Multiple CTRL-Cs just return more cmd: prompts. But anything I type at that prompt is just send out the TNC in converse mode again. It appears that my TNC is stuck in converse mode, and I can't get it out. Attempts to connect to OTWINCFG either through serial port A or USB always end up in the word $~R/*reset*~R being send out of the TNC in converse mode.

              I really wish I could find a way to get this thing to go back into OTWINCFG so I could reflash and start fresh.

              help?

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 18, 2013
                They're not linked, but the console will only work on one at a time,
                with preference for USB. Port A could be stuck in TEXT mode, but that's
                not an option for the USB port. If it's in KISS mode, a bunch of
                control-C's should fix it. TEXT mode too, if you've got the recent beta
                firmware.

                And you should always be able to get into otwincfg on the serial port
                from a cold start.

                Don't feel bad about reading the pin numbers backwards, the connector
                wound up backwards on the T3-135, the same mistake I made and later
                fixed on the T2-135. I think the library part was numbered backwards or
                something. The fix was easy enough, just mount the connector on the
                other side of the board.

                Scott

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 18, 2013
                  Is that on the serial port or USB?

                  Scott

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 18, 2013
                    The USB port should never be stuck in converse mode - it doesn't have
                    TEXT mode as an option.

                    Try a cold boot on port A. It'll try to talk to otwincfg before it even
                    loads the configuration.

                    Scott

                  • ve7ltd
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 19, 2013
                      That is weird - Port A and the USB were linked. If I typed letters on the USB through the linux console on /dev/ttyACM0 at 9600 baud, I read them on the serial port connected to port A at 9600 baud.

                      I can't seem to get it out of TEXT mode. I have moved onto T3-135 number 2 :)

                      The USB was definitely in text mode - Hooked at 9600 baud, everything I typed went straight out the air via the TNC.

                      Is there any way to hold a pin to ground to force a base configuration? I think I have tried everything to get this thing to read in OTWINCFG.

                      Will leave it for a few days and see where I get.

                      Dave

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 20, 2013

                        http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Safe_Mode