T2 as APRS/Winlink Digipeater

  • Sion Chow Q. C. (9W2QC)
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 15, 2013
      Dear All,

      We are using 2 units of T2s as mountain top WIDE digipeaters for 2M
      and 70cm. As we are seeing very low usage on the 70cm side, we would
      like to add some other packet services such as BBS and/or Winlink.

      I understand this has been asked before, but I like to get a final
      confirmation whether the T2 can support digipeating of BBS and/or
      Winlink packets? I have tried looking around and I see that the T2
      does not support Winlink when connected to a host computer, but am not
      sure if this would work as a digipeater.

      Thank you.

      73,
      Sion Chow Q. C.,
      9M2CQC, WQ2C
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 15, 2013
        Hi,

        I've been doing a lot of testing with the T3 lately for connected mode
        use, and there are a couple of easy tweaks I can back-port to the T2.
        If you've got a setup you'd like to test (that you can access easily to
        update) let me know and I'll send you a new firmware version.

        Scott

        On 1/15/2013 5:58 PM, Sion Chow Q. C. (9W2QC) wrote:
        > Dear All,
        >
        > We are using 2 units of T2s as mountain top WIDE digipeaters for 2M
        > and 70cm. As we are seeing very low usage on the 70cm side, we would
        > like to add some other packet services such as BBS and/or Winlink.
        >
        > I understand this has been asked before, but I like to get a final
        > confirmation whether the T2 can support digipeating of BBS and/or
        > Winlink packets? I have tried looking around and I see that the T2
        > does not support Winlink when connected to a host computer, but am not
        > sure if this would work as a digipeater.
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > 73,
        > Sion Chow Q. C.,
        > 9M2CQC, WQ2C

      • Sion Chow Q. C. (9W2QC)
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 15, 2013
          Scott,

          This is the T2 firmware to support connected mode packets? I would
          not mind testing, but let me see if I have a spare T2 to do this
          first. Another one has been sent for packaging for another hill top
          digi.

          Has there been any previous success getting connected packets digied
          via the T2 in the past?

          73, Sion, 9M2CQC

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 15, 2013
            To clarify, this is to support packets (digi'd or through KISS) used by
            connected mode applications, and is *not* a connected mode AX.25 stack
            in itself.

            The most important thing I found is that some very small packets were
            getting dropped as invalid. No APRS packet would be that small, so it
            hadn't turned up in APRS operation. It shouldn't affect digi operation,
            though, because the presence of a digi path would make it larger than
            that threshold.

            Scott

            On 1/15/2013 6:48 PM, Sion Chow Q. C. (9W2QC) wrote:
            > Scott,
            >
            > This is the T2 firmware to support connected mode packets? I would
            > not mind testing, but let me see if I have a spare T2 to do this
            > first. Another one has been sent for packaging for another hill top
            > digi.
            >
            > Has there been any previous success getting connected packets digied
            > via the T2 in the past?
            >
            > 73, Sion, 9M2CQC
            >
            > Quoting Scott Miller scott@... <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>>:
            >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I've been doing a lot of testing with the T3 lately for connected mode
            > > use, and there are a couple of easy tweaks I can back-port to the T2.
            > > If you've got a setup you'd like to test (that you can access easily to
            > > update) let me know and I'll send you a new firmware version.
            > >
            > > Scott
            > >
            > > On 1/15/2013 5:58 PM, Sion Chow Q. C. (9W2QC) wrote:
            > >> Dear All,
            > >>
            > >> We are using 2 units of T2s as mountain top WIDE digipeaters for 2M
            > >> and 70cm. As we are seeing very low usage on the 70cm side, we would
            > >> like to add some other packet services such as BBS and/or Winlink.
            > >>
            > >> I understand this has been asked before, but I like to get a final
            > >> confirmation whether the T2 can support digipeating of BBS and/or
            > >> Winlink packets? I have tried looking around and I see that the T2
            > >> does not support Winlink when connected to a host computer, but am not
            > >> sure if this would work as a digipeater.
            > >>
            > >> Thank you.
            > >>
            > >> 73,
            > >> Sion Chow Q. C.,
            > >> 9M2CQC, WQ2C

          • Sion Chow Q. C.
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 17, 2013
              Yes Scott, that is correct.

              Thanks for the information - we will try that out as time permits.

              73, Sion, 9M2CQC