Re: [tracker2] otusb has no lights

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 14, 2013
      Was it connected to anything else that had a separate ground return?

      Scott

    • Brian Amos
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 14, 2013
        The 12v supply was a battery, and the 5v supply was my laptop during the previous testing, they were not connected at the same time.

        D3 is gone D4 is gone too... (both easily repaired I believe), however:

        Feeding 5v from a regulated power supply into CN4 produces no led activity.  My best guess is that somehow the main chip had some failure when the power cycled quickly, that must have blown out D4 and D3. My only other explanation is that the leds went at the same time as D4 and D3 and the chip is working but showing no visible manifestation. I will check out that (remote/very remote) possibility tonight by trying to get a computer connection to the unit while powered from CN4.

        Maybe it's worth while to note that I recently purchased the unit and since I got it more than once it has either stopped responding or has switched into a constant ptt engaged state when turned on.  Every time I have had to use the erase device and load firmware option as it wasn't able to find the device otherwise (always using usb connection).  Although every time I have been able to correspond it to something such as the plug not being completely in the radio when it was turned on, or having the tracker plugged into the cigarette lighter when starting the vehicle, ie. user error.  When I was traveling out of town and it wouldn't light up it had been plugged into a 5v usb cigarette lighter adapter (possibly a 1amp adapter) that was powering the tracker and my telephone.  A spring broke on one of the side rails on the usb cigarette lighter adapter and the unit became loose in the socket and the power connection flickered on and off a couple of times before I noticed that my phone was complaining and I unplugged it.  I assumed that as it would easily be read by the computer when I got home, but when that didn't happen I looked to the list archives for help, but couldn't find anything. I hope my problem will be a word of warning to all, make sure your tracker power isn't allowed to shut off and on quickly and repeatedly, or you may have a similar problem as I have.

        Thank you,

        Brian
        KF7OVD

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
            tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Brian Amos
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 14, 2013
          I haven't followed the schematic completely, but is 2ohms a normal resistance between the cn4 5v pin and ground? and if not then is this likely the cause of the chip not booting?  Looks like I may have to replace the diodes anyway...

          Brian
          KF7OVD

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 14, 2013
            It should be much higher than that. If you pull the diodes and it's
            still that low, the MCU might be blown. You can send it back in any
            time and we'll check it out here.

            Scott