Re: [tracker2] otusb has no lights

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 11, 2013
      > Telephone support sucks up an awful lot of time. Time Scott could be
      > using to create new products, write new code, get products built,
      > tested, and out the door to customers, etc.

      It's not just that it takes a lot of time, it's also that with phone
      support I make less efficient use of the time I've got. You'll notice I
      answer a lot of support emails in the evening - I can do that any time,
      while most of the testing and development work I can really only do in
      the office.

      Depending on the problem, sometimes it *is* fastest to do it on the
      phone and maybe set up a remote desktop session, but it's still usually
      best to plan that in advance. Monday morning Igor and I will probably
      both be busy conformally coating temperature sensors for a big
      underwater sensor grid project and there's a good chance we'll have our
      hands too full for an hour or two to answer the phone.

      Anyway, I'll get back to your email with some things to check.

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 11, 2013
        What's the 12v power source? If it's one of our tracker cables with a
        cigarette lighter, unscrew the tip and check that the fuse is OK.

        The left side of the voltage regulator is the input and the tab is the
        output. You should see 12v at the left side, and 5v on the right side.
        Diode D4, down and to the right from there, separates regulator power
        and USB power. You should see 5v at one of the legs, and slightly less
        than that at the center pin.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 12, 2013
          On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 11:08 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

          >> Telephone support sucks up an awful lot of time.
          >
          > It's not just that it takes a lot of time, it's also that with phone
          > support I make less efficient use of the time I've got.

          You must talk faster than I do then! You invariably get dragged off
          onto unrelated topics. I spent 3.5 hours on Thursday on the phone
          trying to get a customer to check a number of things to get a data
          radio up and running. Ended up driving out to unplug an RJ-45 cable
          and then plug it back in. Billable time just for yesterday, 9 hours
          and 600 km of mileage. 2 hours of that was spent just talking with the
          customer.

          I charge for all that support though. No freebie support where I work!

        • Brian Amos
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 13, 2013
            Using your 12v cigarette lighter adapter into a 12v battery:
            I get 12 v in from the DB-9
            U1 registers no voltage difference between the CN4 8 pin (ground) and either the 12v or the 5v side of the voltage regulator.
            The diode D4 shows no voltage on any of the pins either.
            R-11 shows 12v on the left and ~.6v on the right

            With 12v unplugged and using 5v usb power:
            D4 shows 5v on top pin
            cn4 pin 1 shows no voltage

            I am going to try to make time to check for a broken trace this afternoon.

            Glad to know that this list is customer service.

            Thank you,
            Brian KF7OVD

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Brian Amos
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 13, 2013
              some further testing shows that D3 has 12v in and nothing out, so that is probably the culprit, although c3 seems to not be functioning either (no voltage potential across the cap), so I assume whatever happened happened caused those two at least to malfunction (possibly the voltage regulator as well).

              If this is the case, why would it not function using power from the usb? And why would all this happen on the 12v input area when I was using it with the 12v supply side unhooked and powering from a 5v regulated supply?

              Brian

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 13, 2013
                is it possible to power the unit using an external power supply across the CN4? I would like to make sure the unit boots up before I start replacing diodes.

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 14, 2013
                  Sure, you can feed 5v power in there.

                  Scott

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 14, 2013
                    Was it connected to anything else that had a separate ground return?

                    Scott

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 14, 2013
                      The 12v supply was a battery, and the 5v supply was my laptop during the previous testing, they were not connected at the same time.

                      D3 is gone D4 is gone too... (both easily repaired I believe), however:

                      Feeding 5v from a regulated power supply into CN4 produces no led activity.  My best guess is that somehow the main chip had some failure when the power cycled quickly, that must have blown out D4 and D3. My only other explanation is that the leds went at the same time as D4 and D3 and the chip is working but showing no visible manifestation. I will check out that (remote/very remote) possibility tonight by trying to get a computer connection to the unit while powered from CN4.

                      Maybe it's worth while to note that I recently purchased the unit and since I got it more than once it has either stopped responding or has switched into a constant ptt engaged state when turned on.  Every time I have had to use the erase device and load firmware option as it wasn't able to find the device otherwise (always using usb connection).  Although every time I have been able to correspond it to something such as the plug not being completely in the radio when it was turned on, or having the tracker plugged into the cigarette lighter when starting the vehicle, ie. user error.  When I was traveling out of town and it wouldn't light up it had been plugged into a 5v usb cigarette lighter adapter (possibly a 1amp adapter) that was powering the tracker and my telephone.  A spring broke on one of the side rails on the usb cigarette lighter adapter and the unit became loose in the socket and the power connection flickered on and off a couple of times before I noticed that my phone was complaining and I unplugged it.  I assumed that as it would easily be read by the computer when I got home, but when that didn't happen I looked to the list archives for help, but couldn't find anything. I hope my problem will be a word of warning to all, make sure your tracker power isn't allowed to shut off and on quickly and repeatedly, or you may have a similar problem as I have.

                      Thank you,

                      Brian
                      KF7OVD

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 14, 2013
                        I haven't followed the schematic completely, but is 2ohms a normal resistance between the cn4 5v pin and ground? and if not then is this likely the cause of the chip not booting?  Looks like I may have to replace the diodes anyway...

                        Brian
                        KF7OVD

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 14, 2013
                          It should be much higher than that. If you pull the diodes and it's
                          still that low, the MCU might be blown. You can send it back in any
                          time and we'll check it out here.

                          Scott