Re: [tracker2] otusb has no lights

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 11, 2013
      If you've got a voltmeter, you can check the output of the regulator and
      see if it's getting 5v.

      Scott

      On 1/10/2013 3:08 PM, bamos1 wrote:
      > I was using the otusb plugged into a 5v usb adapter plug on my vehicle
      > and the power flashed off and on quickly, now the otusb will not light
      > up with either 12v or connected to the USB. I have determined that the
      > 5v usb converter is loose and appears to have lost contact on hitting bumps.
      >
      > No lights come up but it appears to be drawing power from the usb host.
      > Windows and linux both are not recognizing the device either.
      >
      > How can I fix this?
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Brian, KF7OVD

    • Brian Amos
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 11, 2013
        Its not getting 5 volts with the usb powering it or with 12v. The odd
        thing is with 12v power source the voltage regulator isn't getting 12v
        either. Looks like I may have to call customer service Monday...

        Brian
        KF7OVD

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 11, 2013
          On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 7:57 PM, Brian Amos <bamos1@...> wrote:

          > Looks like I may have to call customer service Monday...

          You do realize that you already are talking to "customer service".
          Scott is the owner, as well as hardware designer, and software
          engineer. If you read the Contact page information, you'll see how to
          get in contact with customer service.

          *********
          For technical support, first please visit the support page, where you
          will find our FAQs and links to the online support groups. If you
          still have questions or don't want to submit your question to the
          public support group, you can contact us directly at
          support@....

          We can be reached by phone toll-free in the United States at
          1-800-274-4076 (1-805-619-4515 outside the US) for billing issues
          only. We are unable to provide technical support over the phone,
          except by prior arrangement.
          **********

          Telephone support sucks up an awful lot of time. Time Scott could be
          using to create new products, write new code, get products built,
          tested, and out the door to customers, etc.

          If you work with Scott and others here, you'll get the help you need.
          You may end up sending it back to Scott if we can't chase down a
          solution, but you'll find Scott is extremely generous with his
          customer support policies. Trying to support the thousands of
          customers via telephone calls however will chew up so much time that
          no one will get any new Argent Data toys.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 11, 2013
            > Telephone support sucks up an awful lot of time. Time Scott could be
            > using to create new products, write new code, get products built,
            > tested, and out the door to customers, etc.

            It's not just that it takes a lot of time, it's also that with phone
            support I make less efficient use of the time I've got. You'll notice I
            answer a lot of support emails in the evening - I can do that any time,
            while most of the testing and development work I can really only do in
            the office.

            Depending on the problem, sometimes it *is* fastest to do it on the
            phone and maybe set up a remote desktop session, but it's still usually
            best to plan that in advance. Monday morning Igor and I will probably
            both be busy conformally coating temperature sensors for a big
            underwater sensor grid project and there's a good chance we'll have our
            hands too full for an hour or two to answer the phone.

            Anyway, I'll get back to your email with some things to check.

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 11, 2013
              What's the 12v power source? If it's one of our tracker cables with a
              cigarette lighter, unscrew the tip and check that the fuse is OK.

              The left side of the voltage regulator is the input and the tab is the
              output. You should see 12v at the left side, and 5v on the right side.
              Diode D4, down and to the right from there, separates regulator power
              and USB power. You should see 5v at one of the legs, and slightly less
              than that at the center pin.

              Scott

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 12, 2013
                On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 11:08 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

                >> Telephone support sucks up an awful lot of time.
                >
                > It's not just that it takes a lot of time, it's also that with phone
                > support I make less efficient use of the time I've got.

                You must talk faster than I do then! You invariably get dragged off
                onto unrelated topics. I spent 3.5 hours on Thursday on the phone
                trying to get a customer to check a number of things to get a data
                radio up and running. Ended up driving out to unplug an RJ-45 cable
                and then plug it back in. Billable time just for yesterday, 9 hours
                and 600 km of mileage. 2 hours of that was spent just talking with the
                customer.

                I charge for all that support though. No freebie support where I work!

              • Brian Amos
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 13, 2013
                  Using your 12v cigarette lighter adapter into a 12v battery:
                  I get 12 v in from the DB-9
                  U1 registers no voltage difference between the CN4 8 pin (ground) and either the 12v or the 5v side of the voltage regulator.
                  The diode D4 shows no voltage on any of the pins either.
                  R-11 shows 12v on the left and ~.6v on the right

                  With 12v unplugged and using 5v usb power:
                  D4 shows 5v on top pin
                  cn4 pin 1 shows no voltage

                  I am going to try to make time to check for a broken trace this afternoon.

                  Glad to know that this list is customer service.

                  Thank you,
                  Brian KF7OVD

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Brian Amos
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 13, 2013
                    some further testing shows that D3 has 12v in and nothing out, so that is probably the culprit, although c3 seems to not be functioning either (no voltage potential across the cap), so I assume whatever happened happened caused those two at least to malfunction (possibly the voltage regulator as well).

                    If this is the case, why would it not function using power from the usb? And why would all this happen on the 12v input area when I was using it with the 12v supply side unhooked and powering from a 5v regulated supply?

                    Brian

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 13, 2013
                      is it possible to power the unit using an external power supply across the CN4? I would like to make sure the unit boots up before I start replacing diodes.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 14, 2013
                        Sure, you can feed 5v power in there.

                        Scott

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 14, 2013
                          Was it connected to anything else that had a separate ground return?

                          Scott

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 14, 2013
                            The 12v supply was a battery, and the 5v supply was my laptop during the previous testing, they were not connected at the same time.

                            D3 is gone D4 is gone too... (both easily repaired I believe), however:

                            Feeding 5v from a regulated power supply into CN4 produces no led activity.  My best guess is that somehow the main chip had some failure when the power cycled quickly, that must have blown out D4 and D3. My only other explanation is that the leds went at the same time as D4 and D3 and the chip is working but showing no visible manifestation. I will check out that (remote/very remote) possibility tonight by trying to get a computer connection to the unit while powered from CN4.

                            Maybe it's worth while to note that I recently purchased the unit and since I got it more than once it has either stopped responding or has switched into a constant ptt engaged state when turned on.  Every time I have had to use the erase device and load firmware option as it wasn't able to find the device otherwise (always using usb connection).  Although every time I have been able to correspond it to something such as the plug not being completely in the radio when it was turned on, or having the tracker plugged into the cigarette lighter when starting the vehicle, ie. user error.  When I was traveling out of town and it wouldn't light up it had been plugged into a 5v usb cigarette lighter adapter (possibly a 1amp adapter) that was powering the tracker and my telephone.  A spring broke on one of the side rails on the usb cigarette lighter adapter and the unit became loose in the socket and the power connection flickered on and off a couple of times before I noticed that my phone was complaining and I unplugged it.  I assumed that as it would easily be read by the computer when I got home, but when that didn't happen I looked to the list archives for help, but couldn't find anything. I hope my problem will be a word of warning to all, make sure your tracker power isn't allowed to shut off and on quickly and repeatedly, or you may have a similar problem as I have.

                            Thank you,

                            Brian
                            KF7OVD

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 14, 2013
                              I haven't followed the schematic completely, but is 2ohms a normal resistance between the cn4 5v pin and ground? and if not then is this likely the cause of the chip not booting?  Looks like I may have to replace the diodes anyway...

                              Brian
                              KF7OVD

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 14, 2013
                                It should be much higher than that. If you pull the diodes and it's
                                still that low, the MCU might be blown. You can send it back in any
                                time and we'll check it out here.

                                Scott