T3-301 not transmitting or receiving

  • Steve Conover
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 10, 2013
      I'm experiencing a problem with my T3-301 in that the power LED comes on but the Tx/Rx LED never does. I can transmit over another radio and receive on a third, but nothing shows up on the T3-301. Also, I have it set for a 3 minute beacon but the transmit light never flashes and I receive nothing on other nearby units.

      The unit had been working fine, then started malfunctioning and I discovered two broken wires in the cable to the GPS unit. Repaired those and now no Tx/Rx.

      Tried loading the 56133 file from the internet to see if I had corrupted the original file somehow. When I click on 'Load' for the 56133 config, I get a message "Invalid Address 8000 (valid range 0000 to 8000).

      Have I blown something in the Friendcom? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

      Steve
    • Chris Meyer

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 10, 2013
          Did you download the firmware file manually or using the 'web' button?
          If it was manual, can you send me a copy off-list? A few people have
          reported that bug and I can't figure out where it's coming from.

          As for TX/RX not working, have you tried using the PTT button in the
          tuning/diagnostics menu to key the transmitter?

          Scott

          On 1/10/2013 6:24 AM, Steve Conover wrote:
          > I'm experiencing a problem with my T3-301 in that the power LED comes on
          > but the Tx/Rx LED never does. I can transmit over another radio and
          > receive on a third, but nothing shows up on the T3-301. Also, I have it
          > set for a 3 minute beacon but the transmit light never flashes and I
          > receive nothing on other nearby units.
          >
          > The unit had been working fine, then started malfunctioning and I
          > discovered two broken wires in the cable to the GPS unit. Repaired those
          > and now no Tx/Rx.
          >
          > Tried loading the 56133 file from the internet to see if I had corrupted
          > the original file somehow. When I click on 'Load' for the 56133 config,
          > I get a message "Invalid Address 8000 (valid range 0000 to 8000).
          >
          > Have I blown something in the Friendcom? Any help would be appreciated.
          > Thank you.
          >
          > Steve

        • Steve Conover
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 10, 2013
            Chris,
            Thanks for the ideas.  I'm not able to make any setting changes the way it is now.  I have access to another GPS and can try that in a day or two.

            I have been using USB.  With serial, would I use a straight serial to serial cable or a null modem cable?

            Thanks,

            Steve
            KZ7SMC
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 10, 2013
              All of our trackers except the T2-135/T3-135 use a null modem cable.

              Scott

              On 1/10/2013 5:07 PM, Steve Conover wrote:
              > Chris,
              > Thanks for the ideas. I'm not able to make any setting changes the way
              > it is now. I have access to another GPS and can try that in a day or two.
              >
              > I have been using USB. With serial, would I use a straight serial to
              > serial cable or a null modem cable?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Steve
              > KZ7SMC

            • Chris Meyer
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 10, 2013
                Try a null modem cable (cheap from Monoprice
                http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10212&cs_id=1021205&p_id=477&seq=1&format=2).
                I've lost the ability to reprogram my OTUSB multiple times and have
                had 100% success reflashing/reconnecting to it with a null modem cable. Also, make sure you actually pin out the cable if you're pulling it out of a drawer. I had a cable that I thought was a null modem, but the incorrect pins were crossed and it took longer than it should have to realize what the issue was.

                You should be able to just set a static (fixed) GPS coordinates without having a GPS plugged in but I haven't tried it on mine to confirm that it does work.

                Chris

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 11, 2013
                  The latest beta firmware version includes a safe mode - if you mess up
                  your configuration, you can still force it back to defaults and access
                  it via USB.

                  Scott