Re: [tracker2] connect a display to ot3m

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 8, 2013
      Keyboard, yes. I'm still experimenting with display options.

      Scott

      On 1/8/2013 7:40 AM, claude1us wrote:
      > hallo
      >
      > is it possibel to connect a display direct to the ot3m and also an keyboard.
      >
      > thanks

    • Tony VE6MVP
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2013
        At 08:40 AM 2013-01-08, claude1us wrote:

         is it possibel to connect a display direct to the ot3m and also an keyboard.

        You can hook up a GPS though and send and receive commands and messages.   The only two that really work properly are the Garmin Nuvi 350, available used on Ebay for about $60, and the AVMAP Geosat 6 APRS for about $500.

        For the Nuvi 350 you will want the serial splitter cable, a Garmin Fleet Management interface cable and the cradle which is required for the Garmin cable and the cigarette plug power.    You might also want the external plug in GA 25MCX antenna.  I picked one up on eBay.

        https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=93
        https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=90

        For some more details see http://ve6mvp.com/aprs.htm

        Tony
      • Tony VE6MVP
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2013
          I was asked the following privately and decided to respond publicly as I felt this would be useful to all.

          why do you need the splitter cable,

          1) I can simultaneously hook up some kind of serial device such as a laptop or a Windows CE as well as the Garmin Nuvi 350 GPS.

          2) If I want to program the Tracker I don't have to switch the control protocol on the OT3 port from Garmin to Serial and back again.

          Tony