connect a display to ot3m

  • claude1us
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 8, 2013
      hallo

      is it possibel to connect a display direct to the ot3m and also an keyboard.

      thanks
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2013
        On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 8:40 AM, claude1us <claudewa@...> wrote:

        > is it possibel to connect a display direct to the ot3m and also an
        > keyboard.

        If by display, you mean a monitor, the answer is no. There is provision for installation of a keyboard socket to the OT3 board, and then connecting a keyboard to the unit. You would be typing blindly with no computer connected to the unit though.

        If the inline image survives, you can see the keyboard connector just above the crystal. OT3s currently shipping do not have the keyboard connector installed.

        Scott talked about the connector back in 2011...

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2013
          Keyboard, yes. I'm still experimenting with display options.

          Scott

          On 1/8/2013 7:40 AM, claude1us wrote:
          > hallo
          >
          > is it possibel to connect a display direct to the ot3m and also an keyboard.
          >
          > thanks

        • Tony VE6MVP
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2013
            At 08:40 AM 2013-01-08, claude1us wrote:

             is it possibel to connect a display direct to the ot3m and also an keyboard.

            You can hook up a GPS though and send and receive commands and messages.   The only two that really work properly are the Garmin Nuvi 350, available used on Ebay for about $60, and the AVMAP Geosat 6 APRS for about $500.

            For the Nuvi 350 you will want the serial splitter cable, a Garmin Fleet Management interface cable and the cradle which is required for the Garmin cable and the cigarette plug power.    You might also want the external plug in GA 25MCX antenna.  I picked one up on eBay.

            https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=93
            https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=90

            For some more details see http://ve6mvp.com/aprs.htm

            Tony
          • Tony VE6MVP
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 8, 2013
              I was asked the following privately and decided to respond publicly as I felt this would be useful to all.

              why do you need the splitter cable,

              1) I can simultaneously hook up some kind of serial device such as a laptop or a Windows CE as well as the Garmin Nuvi 350 GPS.

              2) If I want to program the Tracker I don't have to switch the control protocol on the OT3 port from Garmin to Serial and back again.

              Tony