Re: [tracker2] OTUSB Green Light - No Data?

  • Chris Meyer
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2013
      Status Update:

      I'm unable to install the latest (beta) firmware, I get:

      ---------------------------
      otwincfg
      ---------------------------
      Verify error at block 0xde00
      ---------------------------
      OK
      ---------------------------

      ---------------------------
      otwincfg
      ---------------------------
      Configuration write failed
      ---------------------------
      OK
      ---------------------------

      I've attempted updating from a local file as well as using the web update
      and pointing it to the latest beta firmware. With otwincfg open, if I exit
      without reflashing the current non-beta firmware I'll just get a blinking
      red light and no way to reconnect with the device without breaking out an
      old null modem cable [which is what I was trying to avoid by purchasing a
      USB device ;-) ]

      That aside, with the 1/2/2012 firmware, I'm now able to see data on the
      console (found buried somewhere online that hammering on ctrl-c with the
      com port open will get a cmd prompt open, that should be the first thing in
      the manual! It should also note that none of the commands listed will do
      anything until cmd is showing on the console window, this isn't clear
      anywhere in the manual). However, the only data I see is after turning on
      monitor mode and turning off filter, and turning on passall and it's
      garbled. These options are also not possible using the otwincfg software,
      but only accessible through the console. Is there a reason to leave
      features off the GUI version of the configuration?

      For testing, I have a 300mW transmitter right next to it on the bench and I
      tried again a few hundred feet away, but all I get is partially decoded
      junk. Any ideas what would cause this? I have your 2m antenna (
      https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25_36&products_id=132&osCsid=8nphc6rdr09s2c71klqgt68m66)
      on
      my VX-6R radio, I've tried radio and OTUSB squelch as well as
      checking/unchecking software DCD and nothing seems to make much of a
      difference.

      I had better luck using my laptop sound card with this same radio than I do
      using the OTUSB :-( Is the OT3 going to work any better?

      Any suggestions? Is this a radio configuration or an OTUSB issue?

      Chris

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2013
        > without reflashing the current non-beta firmware I'll just get a blinking
        > red light and no way to reconnect with the device without breaking out an
        > old null modem cable [which is what I was trying to avoid by purchasing a
        > USB device ;-) ]

        The beta firmware's safe mode should let you use USB regardless of how
        messed up the configuration might be.

        > That aside, with the 1/2/2012 firmware, I'm now able to see data on the
        > console (found buried somewhere online that hammering on ctrl-c with the

        Control-Cs should only be necessary if it's stuck in KISS or TEXT mode
        (and TEXT mode isn't applicable for USB).

        > anywhere in the manual). However, the only data I see is after turning on
        > monitor mode and turning off filter, and turning on passall and it's

        With PASSALL ON you may just be seeing random noise.

        > garbled. These options are also not possible using the otwincfg software,
        > but only accessible through the console. Is there a reason to leave
        > features off the GUI version of the configuration?

        Because you need a terminal program to see anything useful, and leaving
        them as options in otwincfg would be asking for trouble. PASSALL in
        particular should only be used for troubleshooting purposes, or in rare
        cases like balloon chases where you want to receive marginal packets and
        piece together mangled data by hand.

        > For testing, I have a 300mW transmitter right next to it on the bench and I
        > tried again a few hundred feet away, but all I get is partially decoded
        > junk. Any ideas what would cause this? I have your 2m antenna (

        Hard to say without hearing what it's hearing. You're sure the
        deviation on the transmitting side is OK, and the audio level on RX is OK?

        > my VX-6R radio, I've tried radio and OTUSB squelch as well as
        > checking/unchecking software DCD and nothing seems to make much of a
        > difference.

        DCD won't affect decoding at all.