Re: [tracker2] OTUSB Green Light - No Data?

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2013
      The green light, if the software DCD option is on, indicated that the
      tracker is hearing something that sounds like data. It doesn't mean
      it's a valid packet. If software DCD is off and you're not using a
      squelch signal, it just indicates that there's some sort of audio signal
      present.

      Scott

      On 12/31/2012 5:09 PM, Chris Meyer wrote:
      > Nope, I was running the latest firmware but have now switched to the
      > beta as the latest release revision seems to have a few bugs (that might
      > be reproducible but I haven't sat down to document them).
      >
      > What does the green light mean? Is it data transmitted over USB? A good
      > packet was decoded? I'm alive blink on a timer? GPS is locked?
      >
      > Happy New Year (soon)!
      >
      > Chris
      >
      > On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...
      > <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>> wrote:
      >
      > > Are you running the beta firmware version? That should eliminate the
      > gain setting as a variable.
      > >
      > > Scott
      > >
      > > On 12/28/2012 6:11 PM, Chris Meyer wrote:
      > > > So I think I've got the radio Rx level set correctly, every so
      > often I'll get a blink of a green light with the profiles set in KISS
      > mode at 9600 baud. If I leave a serial console window open monitoring
      > the configured COM port I don't see any data. What am I missing? I've
      > also tried using UI-VIEW32 following the manual but don't get anything.
      > UI-VIEW 32 does trigger the radio to transmit (red light on OTUSB, red
      > light on radio, interference on nearby computer speakers).
      > > >
      > > > Thanks for the help!
      > > >
      > > > Chris

    • Chris Meyer
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2013
        Status Update:

        I'm unable to install the latest (beta) firmware, I get:

        ---------------------------
        otwincfg
        ---------------------------
        Verify error at block 0xde00
        ---------------------------
        OK
        ---------------------------

        ---------------------------
        otwincfg
        ---------------------------
        Configuration write failed
        ---------------------------
        OK
        ---------------------------

        I've attempted updating from a local file as well as using the web update
        and pointing it to the latest beta firmware. With otwincfg open, if I exit
        without reflashing the current non-beta firmware I'll just get a blinking
        red light and no way to reconnect with the device without breaking out an
        old null modem cable [which is what I was trying to avoid by purchasing a
        USB device ;-) ]

        That aside, with the 1/2/2012 firmware, I'm now able to see data on the
        console (found buried somewhere online that hammering on ctrl-c with the
        com port open will get a cmd prompt open, that should be the first thing in
        the manual! It should also note that none of the commands listed will do
        anything until cmd is showing on the console window, this isn't clear
        anywhere in the manual). However, the only data I see is after turning on
        monitor mode and turning off filter, and turning on passall and it's
        garbled. These options are also not possible using the otwincfg software,
        but only accessible through the console. Is there a reason to leave
        features off the GUI version of the configuration?

        For testing, I have a 300mW transmitter right next to it on the bench and I
        tried again a few hundred feet away, but all I get is partially decoded
        junk. Any ideas what would cause this? I have your 2m antenna (
        https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25_36&products_id=132&osCsid=8nphc6rdr09s2c71klqgt68m66)
        on
        my VX-6R radio, I've tried radio and OTUSB squelch as well as
        checking/unchecking software DCD and nothing seems to make much of a
        difference.

        I had better luck using my laptop sound card with this same radio than I do
        using the OTUSB :-( Is the OT3 going to work any better?

        Any suggestions? Is this a radio configuration or an OTUSB issue?

        Chris

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2013
          > without reflashing the current non-beta firmware I'll just get a blinking
          > red light and no way to reconnect with the device without breaking out an
          > old null modem cable [which is what I was trying to avoid by purchasing a
          > USB device ;-) ]

          The beta firmware's safe mode should let you use USB regardless of how
          messed up the configuration might be.

          > That aside, with the 1/2/2012 firmware, I'm now able to see data on the
          > console (found buried somewhere online that hammering on ctrl-c with the

          Control-Cs should only be necessary if it's stuck in KISS or TEXT mode
          (and TEXT mode isn't applicable for USB).

          > anywhere in the manual). However, the only data I see is after turning on
          > monitor mode and turning off filter, and turning on passall and it's

          With PASSALL ON you may just be seeing random noise.

          > garbled. These options are also not possible using the otwincfg software,
          > but only accessible through the console. Is there a reason to leave
          > features off the GUI version of the configuration?

          Because you need a terminal program to see anything useful, and leaving
          them as options in otwincfg would be asking for trouble. PASSALL in
          particular should only be used for troubleshooting purposes, or in rare
          cases like balloon chases where you want to receive marginal packets and
          piece together mangled data by hand.

          > For testing, I have a 300mW transmitter right next to it on the bench and I
          > tried again a few hundred feet away, but all I get is partially decoded
          > junk. Any ideas what would cause this? I have your 2m antenna (

          Hard to say without hearing what it's hearing. You're sure the
          deviation on the transmitting side is OK, and the audio level on RX is OK?

          > my VX-6R radio, I've tried radio and OTUSB squelch as well as
          > checking/unchecking software DCD and nothing seems to make much of a
          > difference.

          DCD won't affect decoding at all.