Tracker 3 First Setup

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 28, 2012
      Hello all,
      I'm new to APRS, trying to get up and running for the first time. Tried the sample setup in the manual, nothing seems to work, no dispatch menu on the Nuvi 350, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is a list of the things I Have:

      Garmin Nuvi 350
      Tracker OT3m
      Yaesu VX 170
      Yaesu Waterproof Style Tracker Cable
      Garmin 010-10813-00 Mini-B Data Cable

      Thanks,
      Jeff KN4KT
    • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 28, 2012
        Did you put the port (A or B) connected to the Nuvi350 into Garmin mode?

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 28, 2012
          Hi Jeff,

          Check that you've got profile switching disabled and that port A is set
          to GARMIN mode. Also check the firmware version on the nuvi - if it's
          old, it might need an update before it'll work.

          Scott

          On 12/28/2012 10:53 AM, Jeff wrote:
          > Hello all,
          > I'm new to APRS, trying to get up and running for the first time. Tried
          > the sample setup in the manual, nothing seems to work, no dispatch menu
          > on the Nuvi 350, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is a
          > list of the things I Have:
          >
          > Garmin Nuvi 350
          > Tracker OT3m
          > Yaesu VX 170
          > Yaesu Waterproof Style Tracker Cable
          > Garmin 010-10813-00 Mini-B Data Cable
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Jeff KN4KT

        • Jeff Elizer
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 28, 2012
            Thanks Scott, I'll give that a try.

            Jeff

            Check that you've got profile switching disabled and that port A is set to
            GARMIN mode. Also check the firmware version on the nuvi - if it's old, it
            might need an update before it'll work.

            Scott

            On 12/28/2012 10:53 AM, Jeff wrote:
            > Hello all,
            > I'm new to APRS, trying to get up and running for the first time.
            > Tried the sample setup in the manual, nothing seems to work, no
            > dispatch menu on the Nuvi 350, etc. Any help would be greatly
            > appreciated. Here is a list of the things I Have:
            >
            > Garmin Nuvi 350
            > Tracker OT3m
            > Yaesu VX 170
            > Yaesu Waterproof Style Tracker Cable
            > Garmin 010-10813-00 Mini-B Data Cable
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Jeff KN4KT

          • Hroller McKnutt
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 28, 2012
              On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
              <ldeffenb@...> wrote:
              > Did you put the port (A or B) connected to the Nuvi350 into Garmin mode?

              Garmin Nuvi 350
              Tracker OT3m
              Baofeng UV-5R
              Home made cable
              (2.5mm sleeve to pin 6 (ground), 2.5mm tip to pin 5 (speaker), 3.5mm
              sleeve pin 3 (PTT), 3.5mm ring to pin 1 (mic), I think that's all
              correct)
              Garmin 010-10813-00 Mini-B Data Cable

              Nuvi is plugged into power via the cradle, garmin FMI cable plugged
              into SERIAL, home made UV-5R cable to RADIO.

              No dispatch menu on the Nuvi 350 (firmware version 6.2) and firmware
              56002 on the otm3... AH HAH! ;)

              While I was writing this I was looking at the Nuvi 350 manual and did
              a reset, I had everything unplugged when I did. I reset it (raise the
              antenna and press the reset button) and I also cleared all user data
              (though it didn't clear it all I don't think since it still had my
              home address set, as well as the voice I had set last night) by
              holding a finger on the top right of the screen (where the clock is)
              and powering it on, hitting Yes when prompted to clear all data.
              Powered it off, plugged it all in and the dispatch showed up!

              FYI on the Nuvi, you can see satallite info by pushing the satallite
              bars icon on the display. Also pressing on the time in the upper right
              corner and holding for a bit puts you into a test menu with firmware
              versions, info about SD cards if you have one in, screen tests and
              sound test stuff, power off to get out of the menu.

              Hope that help!
              Mike
              KD0TGR
              --
              Nullo edactore ligni, consilium cedet. - Countess Magda
            • Keith VE7GDH
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 28, 2012
                Jeff KN4KT wrote...

                > no dispatch menu on the Nuvi 350 etc.
                > Garmin Nuvi 350
                > Tracker OT3m
                > Yaesu VX 170
                > Yaesu Waterproof Style Tracker Cable
                > Garmin 010-10813-00 Mini-B Data Cable

                Does the Nuvi 350 have external power... i.e. powered from the cradle?
                If it isn't, you would need to do some surgery on the 350.

                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH