Tracker3 and Baofeng UV-5R

  • ld_hrothgar
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27, 2012
      I got my OTM3 today (Thanks for the quick shipping on an out of stock item Scott) and while the PLAN is to get a 2 meter mobile in the truck to use with it in the long term, I've got a Baofeng UV-5R right now. Assuming I had a stereo 3.5mm plug, a stereo 2.5mm plug, and a db9 to wire the thing up, would it work to get on the air with for now?

      I searched for info on the UV-5R on this group but didn't find anything and a search on the opentracker group found only the UV-3R which might be the same setup but I don't have one so I don't know.

      Thanks,
      Mike
      KD0TGR
    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 27, 2012
        Mike KD0TGR wrote...

        > I got my OTM3 today... I've got a Baofeng UV-5R right now.
        > Assuming I had a stereo 3.5mm plug, a stereo 2.5mm plug,
        > and a db9 to wire the thing up, would it work to get on the
        > air with for now?

        Yes, this should work. The UV-5R uses "Kenwood" style
        connectors. You can make your own cable, but Scott carries
        them with a moulded plug.

        > I searched for info on the UV-5R on this group but didn't
        > find anything and a search on the opentracker group found
        > only the UV-3R which might be the same setup but I don't
        > have one so I don't know.

        A "Kenwood" style connector will work with most Kenwoods,
        the Wouxun, KG-UVD1P etc. as well as the Baofeng UV-3R,
        UV-5R, and the Puxing PX-777, PX-888 and many other Chinese
        HTs.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH