OTUSB Can't Connect Via Serial

  • waterppk
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 26, 2012
      I was playing around with the OTUSB over USB power and was able to configure it and get it transmitting through my radio, so it was working fine. I then decided to reset the tracker to the stock configuration by checking "Erase device and load firmware" and attempting to connect through the "otwincfg.exe". I left it plugged in for a while but got "unable to access serial port" immediately. Every subsequent attempt to connect via USB has now been unsuccessful, but whenever I click connect the lights cycle green for a second, then red, then off and the unable to access serial port comes back up. It then won't cycle lights on a connection attempt until it's unplugged and plugged back in again. When powering it with the 12V plug I get a red light momentarily then nothing.

      Powering it via the radio plug and connecting a null modem cable to the Data side doesn't get any response at all (no lights, etc). I've attempted checking "disable turbo" as instructed in the manual but it doesn't seem to make a difference with USB or null modem serial connection. I've tried monitoring the serial port for any characters on boot and I don't see anything at the handful of baud rates that I've tried but I haven't extensively checked.

      Any ideas on additional testing or debugging to help solve this? I'd like to get the device reset and working again! I have full diagnostic tools available including a high speed USB analyzer, 8 channel logic analyzer, oscilloscope, etc if they'd be of any help figuring it out.

      Thanks,

      Chris
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 26, 2012
        Hi Chris,

        So when you're powering it with 12v it gives you a red blink, unless
        you've got the null modem cable connected?

        Scott

        On 12/26/2012 1:19 PM, waterppk wrote:
        > I was playing around with the OTUSB over USB power and was able to
        > configure it and get it transmitting through my radio, so it was working
        > fine. I then decided to reset the tracker to the stock configuration by
        > checking "Erase device and load firmware" and attempting to connect
        > through the "otwincfg.exe". I left it plugged in for a while but got
        > "unable to access serial port" immediately. Every subsequent attempt to
        > connect via USB has now been unsuccessful, but whenever I click connect
        > the lights cycle green for a second, then red, then off and the unable
        > to access serial port comes back up. It then won't cycle lights on a
        > connection attempt until it's unplugged and plugged back in again. When
        > powering it with the 12V plug I get a red light momentarily then nothing.
        >
        > Powering it via the radio plug and connecting a null modem cable to the
        > Data side doesn't get any response at all (no lights, etc). I've
        > attempted checking "disable turbo" as instructed in the manual but it
        > doesn't seem to make a difference with USB or null modem serial
        > connection. I've tried monitoring the serial port for any characters on
        > boot and I don't see anything at the handful of baud rates that I've
        > tried but I haven't extensively checked.
        >
        > Any ideas on additional testing or debugging to help solve this? I'd
        > like to get the device reset and working again! I have full diagnostic
        > tools available including a high speed USB analyzer, 8 channel logic
        > analyzer, oscilloscope, etc if they'd be of any help figuring it out.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Chris

      • Chris Meyer
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 28, 2012
          I was getting an "orange" blink when power was connected (red and green leds) no matter whether I had the cable connected or not.  I then tested my "null modem" cable and this time compared the crossed pins to an online reference to find out that it was wired as a null modem for some custom device [it's a molded, labeled cable, it's not labelled anymore :-) ].  I was then able to connect to it on the first try and now have it "recovered'.  I've got more questions but I'll start another thread.

          Thanks again,

          Chris

          On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
          Hi Chris,

          So when you're powering it with 12v it gives you a red blink, unless
          you've got the null modem cable connected?

          Scott

          On 12/26/2012 1:19 PM, waterppk wrote:
          > I was playing around with the OTUSB over USB power and was able to
          > configure it and get it transmitting through my radio, so it was working
          > fine. I then decided to reset the tracker to the stock configuration by
          > checking "Erase device and load firmware" and attempting to connect
          > through the "otwincfg.exe". I left it plugged in for a while but got
          > "unable to access serial port" immediately. Every subsequent attempt to
          > connect via USB has now been unsuccessful, but whenever I click connect
          > the lights cycle green for a second, then red, then off and the unable
          > to access serial port comes back up. It then won't cycle lights on a
          > connection attempt until it's unplugged and plugged back in again. When
          > powering it with the 12V plug I get a red light momentarily then nothing.
          >
          > Powering it via the radio plug and connecting a null modem cable to the
          > Data side doesn't get any response at all (no lights, etc). I've
          > attempted checking "disable turbo" as instructed in the manual but it
          > doesn't seem to make a difference with USB or null modem serial
          > connection. I've tried monitoring the serial port for any characters on
          > boot and I don't see anything at the handful of baud rates that I've
          > tried but I haven't extensively checked.
          >
          > Any ideas on additional testing or debugging to help solve this? I'd
          > like to get the device reset and working again! I have full diagnostic
          > tools available including a high speed USB analyzer, 8 channel logic
          > analyzer, oscilloscope, etc if they'd be of any help figuring it out.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Chris

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
              tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 28, 2012
            Ok, glad you got that fixed.

            Yesterday I tested a new 'safe mode' on the OT3m. By jumpering two pins
            you can force it to use the default config, and RESET DEFAULT will
            overwrite your config.

            If I have time today, I'm going to try to do something similar on the
            OTUSB. There's a good chance the OTUSB won't have enough space for
            another copy of the config, but I can at least force it to ignore some
            features when safe mode is enabled - maybe stop profile switching, force
            port A to AUTO, and disable KISS and scripting.

            Scott