T2-301 Serial Port

  • Matthew Cook
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 23, 2012
      I'm hoping this is another quick question.

      Is the serial port on the T2-301 a real one (MAX232 or derivative) or fake (requires -12V bias from host) ?

      Can't find the circuit to take a peek and the unit is no longer here to pull apart :-(

      Anyone?

      --
      Matthew
      VK5ZM
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 23, 2012

        Can't find the circuit to take a peek and the unit is no longer here to pull apart :-(

        http://wiki.argentdata.com/images/T2-301-schematic.png

        Looks like a MAX232 or similar

        --
        Rob, VK6UFO, VK6RN
      • Matthew Cook
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 23, 2012
          Thanks Rob,

          You've got better eye's than me.. didn't spot the circuit on the website anywhere...

          I'll call that a real serial port then :)

          --
          Matthew
          VK5ZM

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 23, 2012
            Hi Matthew,

            It's an equivalent - usually an ST202 in 5v designs and a MAX3232 in 3v
            designs.

            Sorry the schematic is hard to find. I reorganized a bunch of the
            website and parts of the wiki yesterday, and things should generally be
            getting better. You can actually find the T3-301 schematic from the
            product page now if you know to follow the wiki link. I'll get it added
            to the main page later.

            Scott

            On 12/23/2012 4:21 PM, Matthew Cook wrote:
            > Thanks Rob,
            >

            > You've got better eye's than me.. didn't spot the circuit on the website
            > anywhere...
            >
            > I'll call that a real serial port then :)
            >
            > --
            > Matthew
            > VK5ZM
            >
            > On 24 December 2012 10:09, Rob <vk6ufo@...
            > <mailto:vk6ufo@...>> wrote:
            >
            > __
            >

            >> Can't find the circuit to take a peek and the unit is no longer
            >> here to pull apart :-(
            >
            > http://wiki.argentdata.com/images/T2-301-schematic.png
            >
            > Looks like a MAX232 or similar
            >
            > --
            > Rob, VK6UFO, VK6RN

          • Matthew Cook
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 23, 2012
              Hi Scott,

              No problem.  When Rob sent through the schematic I felt a little silly... I did go and look before asking *honest*, thought I might need glasses ?!?  But I'll blame the website rearrangement for the time being ;-)

              Anyway the new low power ARPS i-Gate/digi is taking shape. The OTUSB's are doing a very good job decoding the on air traffic in KISS serial mode.

              My T2-301 (or a new T3-301 still undecided) is going to be pressed into service within this system, so I was trying to work out how much of a serial port I had to make to interface to the T2-301.  In short two transistors, one MOSFET, two diodes and few jelly bean parts is all I needed.

              Thanks to everyone for the help.

              73's

              Matthew
              VK5ZM

              On 24 December 2012 15:45, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
              Hi Matthew,

              It's an equivalent - usually an ST202 in 5v designs and a MAX3232 in 3v
              designs.

              Sorry the schematic is hard to find.  I reorganized a bunch of the
              website and parts of the wiki yesterday, and things should generally be
              getting better.  You can actually find the T3-301 schematic from the
              product page now if you know to follow the wiki link.  I'll get it added
              to the main page later.

              Scott

              On 12/23/2012 4:21 PM, Matthew Cook wrote:
              > Thanks Rob,
              >

              > You've got better eye's than me.. didn't spot the circuit on the website
              > anywhere...
              >
              > I'll call that a real serial port then :)
              >
              > --
              > Matthew
              > VK5ZM
              >
              > On 24 December 2012 10:09, Rob <vk6ufo@...
              > <mailto:vk6ufo@...>> wrote:
              >
              >     __
              >

              >>     Can't find the circuit to take a peek and the unit is no longer
              >>     here to pull apart :-(
              >
              >     http://wiki.argentdata.com/images/T2-301-schematic.png
              >
              >     Looks like a MAX232 or similar
              >
              >     --