Re: T3 135

  • Dealmeister
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 9, 2012
      Scott et al,

      Thanks - that is what I wanted to know. So, I can use the config program with USB cable to set the TNC's parameters, and the TNC will be powered by the USB cable during programming before insertion into the radio. Do I have this right?

      This is similar to the DSTAR boards I use. Please confirm I need only a USB cable to setup the board before insertion (i.e. no null adaptors, etc).

      Alinco's architecture with the DB9 etc is something I'm not familiar with hence the question. This will be my first purchase of an Argent board and is intended for a second permanent digi in Florida. I've already started looking for site #3, so hoping this install goes smoothly.

      I'll look for your response. Could not find the T3 135 Manual which probably answers my questions.

      Thanks, Chris KB1RXA

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 10, 2012
        The T3-135 (unlike the T3-301) can't run on USB power, so you have to
        have it powered up in the radio.

        Scott

        On 12/9/2012 5:41 AM, Dealmeister wrote:

        > Scott et al,
        >
        > Thanks - that is what I wanted to know. So, I can use the config program
        > with USB cable to set the TNC's parameters, and the TNC will be powered
        > by the USB cable during programming before insertion into the radio. Do
        > I have this right?
        >
        > This is similar to the DSTAR boards I use. Please confirm I need only a
        > USB cable to setup the board before insertion (i.e. no null adaptors, etc).
        >
        > Alinco's architecture with the DB9 etc is something I'm not familiar
        > with hence the question. This will be my first purchase of an Argent
        > board and is intended for a second permanent digi in Florida. I've
        > already started looking for site #3, so hoping this install goes smoothly.
        >
        > I'll look for your response. Could not find the T3 135 Manual which
        > probably answers my questions.
        >
        > Thanks, Chris KB1RXA

        > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > It can't be programmed from the menu, but you can program the T3-135
        > by USB.
        > >
        > > Scott
        > >
        > > On 12/8/2012 8:15 AM, Dealmeister wrote:
        > > > Quick question:
        > > >
        > > > Can the T135 be programmed from the radio's menu or is a programming
        > > > cable required. I've acquired another permanent digipeater location and
        > > > plan to use the T3 135.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks
        > > >
        > > > Chris KB1RXA

      • Tony VE6MVP
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 12, 2012
          Folks

          I have a T2-301 with the OT2 TNC and a Garmin Nuvi 350 with the FMI cable.  It has worked well for several months.  I have, in the past and only 4 days ago, happily done the --bea as a message on the Nuvi and the OT2 sends out a position beacon.     In the past the --bea beacons once and goes into the sent message queue with a time/date.

          But Monday afternoon the --bea was "stuck" being sent.    As I did this a minute or two into a two hour drive the Tracker happily beaconed my position every 10 or 11 seconds.   You can see this at http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a%2FVA6OO-9&timerange=345600 .    Ensure the time frame includes Monday afternoon.   You will see my return track showing normal beaconing and there is a lot of overlap on the straight sections.  On the curves you will see my rather frequent beacons.

          I only noticed this problem because I turned on my commercial FM radio in the vehicle while still out on the fringes of my favourite radio station.  I noticed the interference on the FM radio, which I seldom do, and was wondering why I was getting so many static bursts on the radio.  <smile>

          Otherwise I would've happily been beaconing for a considerable length of time while I was in the city for the next 24 hours incurring the wrath of the city folks while I was clogging up the city APRS network.  <wry smile>

          It is still behaving the same despite doing a power off and on cycle of the Nuvi 350 and the T2-301.   Any ideas?

          Tony
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 12, 2012
            I've run into something like this before. What firmware version is your
            nuvi running? IIRC, there was a bug in one version that related to
            message acknowledgement - the nuvi tells the tracker when there's a
            message and gives it a unique ID, but the tracker also polls with a
            catch-all ID in case it missed the announcement. The nuvi responds with
            the message but then the tracker only has the catch-all ID for it and
            ack'ing that ID doesn't properly remove it from the queue. At least
            that's how I remember it - it's been a couple of years.

            More recently I've seen at least two cases where a message seemed to get
            corrupted in the nuvi's memory and also wouldn't ack. The only way I've
            found to fix it is to use the maintenance menu (hold down the upper
            right corner of the touch screen while turning on the nuvi) to clear all
            user data.

            Scott

            On 12/12/2012 12:53 PM, Tony VE6MVP wrote:
            > Folks
            >
            > I have a T2-301 with the OT2 TNC and a Garmin Nuvi 350 with the FMI
            > cable. It has worked well for several months. I have, in the past and
            > only 4 days ago, happily done the --bea as a message on the Nuvi and the
            > OT2 sends out a position beacon. In the past the --bea beacons once
            > and goes into the sent message queue with a time/date.
            >
            > But Monday afternoon the --bea was "stuck" being sent. As I did this
            > a minute or two into a two hour drive the Tracker happily beaconed my
            > position every 10 or 11 seconds. You can see this at
            > http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a%2FVA6OO-9&timerange=345600 .
            > Ensure the time frame includes Monday afternoon. You will see my
            > return track showing normal beaconing and there is a lot of overlap on
            > the straight sections. On the curves you will see my rather frequent
            > beacons.
            >
            > I only noticed this problem because I turned on my commercial FM radio
            > in the vehicle while still out on the fringes of my favourite radio
            > station. I noticed the interference on the FM radio, which I seldom do,
            > and was wondering why I was getting so many static bursts on the radio.
            > <smile>
            >
            > Otherwise I would've happily been beaconing for a considerable length of
            > time while I was in the city for the next 24 hours incurring the wrath
            > of the city folks while I was clogging up the city APRS network. <wry smile>
            >
            > It is still behaving the same despite doing a power off and on cycle of
            > the Nuvi 350 and the T2-301. Any ideas?
            >
            > Tony

          • Tony VE6MVP
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 12, 2012
              At 08:49 PM 2012-12-12, Scott Miller wrote:

              I bought both the Nuvi and the T2-301 about a year ago and haven't updated the firmware since although I did at that time.     I'll pull it from the vehicle in the next day or so and bring it in.  I don't feel like going outside this evening in this weather if I don't have to.  Not that it's all that cold yet.

              Note though that the --bea command did work for the last year.  But suddenly didn't.  And all --beacons since did not work.    Hmm, could it be because the units were at a temp of about -15 C (+5 American) at the time and hadn't yet warmed up?   Although I think when I tested it the following day it had warmed up to about 0 C (or 32 American.)

              Note that I cleaned up the problem by deleting the --bea or --beacon from the outgoing message queue.

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 12, 2012
                Is it responding normally now, or does it get stuck every time you try
                to send it again?

                Scott

              • Tony VE6MVP
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 12, 2012
                  At 09:02 PM 2012-12-12, Scott Miller wrote:

                  It now gets stuck every time I tried it.  I can't recall if I tried it when it was warm at the end of my 2 hour drive yesterday.

                  I'll play with it, including if necessary, clearing out the settings to see what fixes it.   And post back.

                  Tony

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 12, 2012
                    That does sound similar to the problem I saw. It persisted until the
                    memory was cleared - there was definitely something affecting the
                    outgoing message queue that didn't show up on the nuvi.

                    Scott