OTUSB RX Level

  • Matthew Cook
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 8, 2012
      I'm hoping this is a quick question.

      How many volts peak to peak do you need to drive into the Audio Input pin of the OTUSB for it to reliably decode.?

      Any ideas?

      73's

      --
      Matthew
      VK5ZM
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 11, 2012
        On the highest gain setting, about 75 mV p-p seems to be OK.

        Scott

        On 12/8/2012 5:11 AM, Matthew Cook wrote:
        > I'm hoping this is a quick question.
        >

        > How many volts peak to peak do you need to drive into the Audio Input
        > pin of the OTUSB for it to reliably decode.?
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > 73's
        >
        > --
        > Matthew
        > VK5ZM

      • Matthew Cook
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 11, 2012
          Ok that's interesting.  Where do I find the gain setting?   Me thinks I've missed something in the manual?

          I've got about +/-250mV from my discriminator but the OTUSB was not decoding packets.  Once I'd put in an opamp buffer and drove +/-2Vp-p into the pin it sprang to life.

          Matthew
          VK5ZM

          On 12 December 2012 03:55, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
          On the highest gain setting, about 75 mV p-p seems to be OK.

          Scott

          On 12/8/2012 5:11 AM, Matthew Cook wrote:
          > I'm hoping this is a quick question.
          >

          > How many volts peak to peak do you need to drive into the Audio Input
          > pin of the OTUSB for it to reliably decode.?
          >
          > Any ideas?
          >
          > 73's
          >
          > --
          > Matthew
          > VK5ZM

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
              tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 11, 2012
            It's in the tuning/diagnostic menu. The latest beta version has an AGC
            function that seems to be working well.

            Scott

            On 12/11/2012 5:20 PM, Matthew Cook wrote:
            > Ok that's interesting. Where do I find the gain setting? Me thinks
            > I've missed something in the manual?
            >
            > I've got about +/-250mV from my discriminator but the OTUSB was not
            > decoding packets. Once I'd put in an opamp buffer and drove +/-2Vp-p
            > into the pin it sprang to life.
            >
            > Matthew
            > VK5ZM
            >
            > On 12 December 2012 03:55, Scott Miller <scott@...
            > <mailto:scott@...>> wrote:
            >
            > On the highest gain setting, about 75 mV p-p seems to be OK.
            >
            > Scott
            >
            > On 12/8/2012 5:11 AM, Matthew Cook wrote:
            > > I'm hoping this is a quick question.
            > >

            > > How many volts peak to peak do you need to drive into the Audio Input
            > > pin of the OTUSB for it to reliably decode.?
            > >
            > > Any ideas?
            > >
            > > 73's
            > >
            > > --
            > > Matthew
            > > VK5ZM

          • Matthew Cook
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 11, 2012
              Ah now I don't feel so silly.. will go and check that menu option out...

              Now just to prove that I don't pay attention, where can I download the latest version of the code for the OTUSB?

              73's

              Matthew
              VK5ZM

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 12, 2012
                Click the 'web' button in otwincfg.

                Scott

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 12, 2012
                  Yep thanks for that, found the right button and unit is now upgraded with the beta software.  I also like the RX level adjustment in the Tuning/Diagnostics menu too, very nice.

                  Just a question regarding the RX level adjustment, where should we be aiming to have the blue bar, towards the higher end or somewhere in the middle?   From the discriminator with a 1200Hz tone and 3kHz deviation the blue bar sits about half way (50%) with the x4 gain setting doesn't move for the other tone 2200Hz.   If I take x16 gain the blue bar goes to 100% and stays there.

                  Looking at the packet demodulation it appears to decode better with x16 (100%) than with x4 (50%), however this is just my subjectinve comparison with a T2-301 plugged into the same antenna.

                  Your thoughts?

                  73's

                  Matthew
                  VK5ZM

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 12, 2012
                    *Ideally* every packet would hit exactly 100% at its highest peaks. In
                    practice there's a lot of variability in deviation, so I usually aim for
                    about 75%.

                    Scott

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 12, 2012
                      Ok.. so that suggests to me if I manage say just on 100% with 5kHz deviation and 75% with 3kHz deviation then I'm in the ball park.

                      I think the worst factor for us here locally on RF is tone amplitude variation due to some users feeding their tracker in the microphone port and not the modulator (ie pre-emphasis).

                      Thanks for the tips.

                      Matthew
                      VK5ZM