Alinco and T3-135

  • Ron N9SZV
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 24, 2012
      Dumb Q can the T3-135 be used as a BBS?

      Ron N9SZV
    • qrv@kd4e.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 24, 2012
        Any rig can be a BBS with the correct internal or
        external interface.

        Speed is related to the rig design and tap (e.g.
        mic connector, digital port, special tap location),
        as well as the interface device.

        --

        Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
        David Colburn nevils-station.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 24, 2012
          Any links for software out there I can download?

          Ron N9SZV

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 24, 2012
            On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 7:30 AM, Ron N9SZV <n9szv@...> wrote:

            > Dumb Q can the T3-135 be used as a BBS?

            So, a BBS was normally software running on a computer with a data
            connection via phone lines or now the internet... A T3-135 isn't a
            computer, a phone line, internet, nor software.

            You probably want to run a PBBS, which is a packet BBS, again software
            running on a computer, but using a TNC and radio as the connection
            method.

            Not any rig can be a BBS, but you can use just about any radio as the
            RF portion of a PBBS. The on air speed is dependent upon the TNC that
            you use, as it is the device that converts the serial data from the
            computer to the on air protocol and back again.

            There is a difference between "regular packet" used for PBBS, Winlink,
            and other legacy packet modes versus the packet radio subset which is
            APRS.

            Be aware that some of the APRS TNCs were not able to handle the full
            packets used by legacy packet applications.