Re: Tracker/TNC and Ethernet / TCP/IP

  • caimaver
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2012
      Hi Max-

      I realize this is an answer to a question you didn't ask, but you can build a stand-alone I-gate for under $80 using an Open Tracker USB in KISS mode with a Raspberry Pi. I'm sure the next generation Trackers that Scott is working on would run on less power, but the Tracker+RasPi solution works pretty well for me.

      - Cai /W6CAI

      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Max" <kg4pid@...> wrote:

      > Scott, Over on the APRSSIG you mentioned you were going to add Ethernet and TCP/IP to some of your Tracker/TNC products. Here is a partial quote.
      > "I'm adding Ethernet and TCP/IP support to my next generation
      > tracker/TNC. Supporting AGWPE's TCP protocol seems like a
      > straightforward way to allow compatibility with existing programs, so
      > they can use a network-connected TNC."
      > What kind of time frame are you talking about here? Also what would it take to make a stand alone Igate? I see lots of possibilities for such a device.
      >
      > KG4PID Max

    • Max
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2012
        That would be great if I knew Linux, but I don't. I can follow instructions, but I haven't seen anything explaining just how to do it. The Igate using a Linksys router sounded good also, but I never could find the correct router.

        Max

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "caimaver" <caimaver@...> wrote:

        > Hi Max-
        >
        > I realize this is an answer to a question you didn't ask, but you can build a stand-alone I-gate for under $80 using an Open Tracker USB in KISS mode with a Raspberry Pi. I'm sure the next generation Trackers that Scott is working on would run on less power, but the Tracker+RasPi solution works pretty well for me.
        >
        > - Cai /W6CAI
        >
        > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Max" <kg4pid@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Scott, Over on the APRSSIG you mentioned you were going to add Ethernet and TCP/IP to some of your Tracker/TNC products. Here is a partial quote.
        > > "I'm adding Ethernet and TCP/IP support to my next generation
        > > tracker/TNC. Supporting AGWPE's TCP protocol seems like a
        > > straightforward way to allow compatibility with existing programs, so
        > > they can use a network-connected TNC."
        > > What kind of time frame are you talking about here? Also what would it take to make a stand alone Igate? I see lots of possibilities for such a device.
        > >
        > > KG4PID Max

      • caimaver
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2012
          Hi Max-

          If you're a member of the opentracker yahoo group, look in the files section for the document called "Raspberry Pi Installation instructions.docx". It is a very thorough, command by command walk through for getting a Raspberry Pi running the Xastir software as an I-Gate written by iamdadof3. If it looks like something your up to tackle, I and other group members would be happy to help if you run in to any problems. The Open Tracker USB makes everything really easy.

          Hope that helps.

          - Ca /W6CAI

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Max" <kg4pid@...> wrote:

          > That would be great if I knew Linux, but I don't. I can follow instructions, but I haven't seen anything explaining just how to do it. The Igate using a Linksys router sounded good also, but I never could find the correct router.
          >
          > Max
          >
          > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "caimaver" <caimaver@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Max-
          > >
          > > I realize this is an answer to a question you didn't ask, but you can build a stand-alone I-gate for under $80 using an Open Tracker USB in KISS mode with a Raspberry Pi. I'm sure the next generation Trackers that Scott is working on would run on less power, but the Tracker+RasPi solution works pretty well for me.
          > >
          > > - Cai /W6CAI
          > >
          > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Max" <kg4pid@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Scott, Over on the APRSSIG you mentioned you were going to add Ethernet and TCP/IP to some of your Tracker/TNC products. Here is a partial quote.
          > > > "I'm adding Ethernet and TCP/IP support to my next generation
          > > > tracker/TNC. Supporting AGWPE's TCP protocol seems like a
          > > > straightforward way to allow compatibility with existing programs, so
          > > > they can use a network-connected TNC."
          > > > What kind of time frame are you talking about here? Also what would it take to make a stand alone Igate? I see lots of possibilities for such a device.
          > > >
          > > > KG4PID Max

        • Max
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2012
            Thanks for the info. I read over the instructions and it didn't look too bad. I am going to try and order a PI in the next couple of weeks.

            Thanks again Max KG4PID

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 5, 2012
              Hard to say. The person I had lined up to do the hardware design had to
              back out and I haven't had time to pursue it. I do have a rough
              hardware design and I've got some software running on a development
              board, but I've got other projects that are higher priorities right now.

              Scott