Tracker/TNC and Ethernet / TCP/IP

  • Max
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2012
      Scott, Over on the APRSSIG you mentioned you were going to add Ethernet and TCP/IP to some of your Tracker/TNC products. Here is a partial quote.
      "I'm adding Ethernet and TCP/IP support to my next generation
      tracker/TNC. Supporting AGWPE's TCP protocol seems like a
      straightforward way to allow compatibility with existing programs, so
      they can use a network-connected TNC."
      What kind of time frame are you talking about here? Also what would it take to make a stand alone Igate? I see lots of possibilities for such a device.

      KG4PID Max
    • caimaver
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2012
        Hi Max-

        I realize this is an answer to a question you didn't ask, but you can build a stand-alone I-gate for under $80 using an Open Tracker USB in KISS mode with a Raspberry Pi. I'm sure the next generation Trackers that Scott is working on would run on less power, but the Tracker+RasPi solution works pretty well for me.

        - Cai /W6CAI

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Max" <kg4pid@...> wrote:

        > Scott, Over on the APRSSIG you mentioned you were going to add Ethernet and TCP/IP to some of your Tracker/TNC products. Here is a partial quote.
        > "I'm adding Ethernet and TCP/IP support to my next generation
        > tracker/TNC. Supporting AGWPE's TCP protocol seems like a
        > straightforward way to allow compatibility with existing programs, so
        > they can use a network-connected TNC."
        > What kind of time frame are you talking about here? Also what would it take to make a stand alone Igate? I see lots of possibilities for such a device.
        >
        > KG4PID Max

      • Max
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2012
          That would be great if I knew Linux, but I don't. I can follow instructions, but I haven't seen anything explaining just how to do it. The Igate using a Linksys router sounded good also, but I never could find the correct router.

          Max

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "caimaver" <caimaver@...> wrote:

          > Hi Max-
          >
          > I realize this is an answer to a question you didn't ask, but you can build a stand-alone I-gate for under $80 using an Open Tracker USB in KISS mode with a Raspberry Pi. I'm sure the next generation Trackers that Scott is working on would run on less power, but the Tracker+RasPi solution works pretty well for me.
          >
          > - Cai /W6CAI
          >
          > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Max" <kg4pid@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Scott, Over on the APRSSIG you mentioned you were going to add Ethernet and TCP/IP to some of your Tracker/TNC products. Here is a partial quote.
          > > "I'm adding Ethernet and TCP/IP support to my next generation
          > > tracker/TNC. Supporting AGWPE's TCP protocol seems like a
          > > straightforward way to allow compatibility with existing programs, so
          > > they can use a network-connected TNC."
          > > What kind of time frame are you talking about here? Also what would it take to make a stand alone Igate? I see lots of possibilities for such a device.
          > >
          > > KG4PID Max

        • caimaver
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2012
            Hi Max-

            If you're a member of the opentracker yahoo group, look in the files section for the document called "Raspberry Pi Installation instructions.docx". It is a very thorough, command by command walk through for getting a Raspberry Pi running the Xastir software as an I-Gate written by iamdadof3. If it looks like something your up to tackle, I and other group members would be happy to help if you run in to any problems. The Open Tracker USB makes everything really easy.

            Hope that helps.

            - Ca /W6CAI

            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Max" <kg4pid@...> wrote:

            > That would be great if I knew Linux, but I don't. I can follow instructions, but I haven't seen anything explaining just how to do it. The Igate using a Linksys router sounded good also, but I never could find the correct router.
            >
            > Max
            >
            > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "caimaver" <caimaver@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Max-
            > >
            > > I realize this is an answer to a question you didn't ask, but you can build a stand-alone I-gate for under $80 using an Open Tracker USB in KISS mode with a Raspberry Pi. I'm sure the next generation Trackers that Scott is working on would run on less power, but the Tracker+RasPi solution works pretty well for me.
            > >
            > > - Cai /W6CAI
            > >
            > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Max" <kg4pid@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Scott, Over on the APRSSIG you mentioned you were going to add Ethernet and TCP/IP to some of your Tracker/TNC products. Here is a partial quote.
            > > > "I'm adding Ethernet and TCP/IP support to my next generation
            > > > tracker/TNC. Supporting AGWPE's TCP protocol seems like a
            > > > straightforward way to allow compatibility with existing programs, so
            > > > they can use a network-connected TNC."
            > > > What kind of time frame are you talking about here? Also what would it take to make a stand alone Igate? I see lots of possibilities for such a device.
            > > >
            > > > KG4PID Max

          • Max
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 4, 2012
              Thanks for the info. I read over the instructions and it didn't look too bad. I am going to try and order a PI in the next couple of weeks.

              Thanks again Max KG4PID

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 5, 2012
                Hard to say. The person I had lined up to do the hardware design had to
                back out and I haven't had time to pursue it. I do have a rough
                hardware design and I've got some software running on a development
                board, but I've got other projects that are higher priorities right now.

                Scott