Re: nuvi 2455 or 2555 with Tracker2 (T2-301)

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 21, 2012
      I am aware that they are available on ebay, but I am pressed for time and need a unit that can at least send APRS packets by Wed.

      Chris
      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "qrv@..." <qrv@...> wrote:

      > Nuvi 350's are really inexpensive and readily available
      > on the internet - it may simplify the process for you.
      >
      > > My nuvi 350 is toast.
      > >
      > > I understand that the new nuvi's aren't fully compatible with the
      > > Tracker2 (t2-301) but as I need to buy a replacement and the nuvi
      > > 2455 and 2555 are members of the nuvi 2xx5 series which are listed as
      > > supporting fleet management 2.7 I am wondering if:
      > >
      > > 1. They will provide my position to the T2-301 so that it can be
      > > transmitted.
      > >
      > > 2. Is the waypoint display failure mode a) Makes duplicates b) No
      > > display c) Something else
      > >
      > > Any information would be helpful
      > >
      > > Chris KF7FIR
      >

      > --
      >
      > Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
      > David Colburn nevils-station.com
      > I don't google I SEARCH! duckduckgo.com
      > Restored to design-spec at Heaven's gate 1Cor15:22

    • Chris
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 21, 2012
        Thanks for the info.

        When you note that they produce duplicates, are you are referring specifically to the nuvi 2xx5 series (I am interested in the nuvi 2455 or 2555) or the general failure mode observed in earlier models? I can live with the duplicates temporarily. I will get a replacement nuvi 350 at the earliest possible time.

        Another pressing is issue it whether this unit will communicate with the Tracker2 to send my position packets to the other members of my party in the field.

        Chris
        KF7FIR

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:

        > At 09:54 AM 2012-10-21, Chris wrote:
        >
        > >2. Is the waypoint display failure mode
        > >a) Makes duplicates
        > >b) No display
        > >c) Something else
        >
        > My understanding is that they leave duplicates on the map. This is
        > based on a verbal comment from some fellow amateurs about "droppings"
        > on the screen. Dunno about the favourites screen.
        >
        > Tony

      • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 21, 2012
          My Nuvi 1490 running as KJ4OVQ-9 works fine with a T3-135, but be aware
          that the different Nuvi families also require a different FMI cable than
          the original 350. And they can have a pretty long lead time sometimes.

          KJ4OVQ-9 tracks fine which means that the GPS is feeding the T3-135
          correctly. I'm still not sure about received stations showing up on the
          screen, but at least there's no breadcrumbs. I've also seen them in
          Favorites, but I'm not sure they move properly when new packets are
          received.

          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 21, 2012
            Thanks for the heads up about the FMI cable. I had forgotten that that it is a model specific Garmin part. I guess I am stuck for this trip.

            I would be interested in learning if the positions of the received stations in favorites updates over time, if you ever determine that, because that would still allow one to look up the current position of a station of interest.

            Chris
            KF7FIR

            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@...> wrote:

            > My Nuvi 1490 running as KJ4OVQ-9 works fine with a T3-135, but be aware
            > that the different Nuvi families also require a different FMI cable than
            > the original 350. And they can have a pretty long lead time sometimes.
            >
            > KJ4OVQ-9 tracks fine which means that the GPS is feeding the T3-135
            > correctly. I'm still not sure about received stations showing up on the
            > screen, but at least there's no breadcrumbs. I've also seen them in
            > Favorites, but I'm not sure they move properly when new packets are
            > received.

            > On 10/21/2012 5:05 PM, Chris wrote:
            > > I am aware that they are available on ebay, but I am pressed for time and need a unit that can at least send APRS packets by Wed.
            > >
            > > Chris
            > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "qrv@" <qrv@> wrote:
            > >> Nuvi 350's are really inexpensive and readily available
            > >> on the internet - it may simplify the process for you.

            > >> --
            > >>
            > >> Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
            > >> David Colburn nevils-station.com
            > >> I don't google I SEARCH! duckduckgo.com
            > >> Restored to design-spec at Heaven's gate 1Cor15:22

          • Eric Fort
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 21, 2012
              Ebay is probably your best bet.  there are a number of nuvi 350 units listed with buy it now and next day shipping (even if next day shipping almost doubles the asking price of the unit).  Take a buy it now and call it done for less than $80, have it delivered by tuesday.

              af6ep

              other than that, I'd be willing to assist your plight by selling you my nuvi 350 for the cost of replacing it a week or so from now with an equivalent unit and the lifetime maps upgrade it has installed.  I have no problem helping someone out by rotating hardware that I use only rarely.

              On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Chris <wellread1@...> wrote:

              My nuvi 350 is toast.

              I understand that the new nuvi's aren't fully compatible with the Tracker2 (t2-301) but as I need to buy a replacement and the nuvi 2455 and 2555 are members of the nuvi 2xx5 series which are listed as supporting fleet management 2.7 I am wondering if:

              1. They will provide my position to the T2-301 so that it can be transmitted.

              2. Is the waypoint display failure mode
              a) Makes duplicates
              b) No display
              c) Something else

              Any information would be helpful

              Chris
              KF7FIR

            • captnkliegle
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 21, 2012
                Try Craigs List for the Nuvi 350.

                $20 on Craigs List this week... $40 two weeks ago!

                Just type Nuvi 350 in the search. Sometimes they are not in electronics, so search ALL of Craigs List!

                Kriss KA1GJU-X

                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fort <eric.fort@...> wrote:

                > Ebay is probably your best bet. there are a number of nuvi 350 units
                > listed with buy it now and next day shipping (even if next day shipping
                > almost doubles the asking price of the unit). Take a buy it now and call
                > it done for less than $80, have it delivered by tuesday.
                >
                > af6ep
                >
                > other than that, I'd be willing to assist your plight by selling you my
                > nuvi 350 for the cost of replacing it a week or so from now with an
                > equivalent unit and the lifetime maps upgrade it has installed. I have no
                > problem helping someone out by rotating hardware that I use only rarely.
                >

                > On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Chris <wellread1@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > My nuvi 350 is toast.
                > >
                > > I understand that the new nuvi's aren't fully compatible with the Tracker2
                > > (t2-301) but as I need to buy a replacement and the nuvi 2455 and 2555 are
                > > members of the nuvi 2xx5 series which are listed as supporting fleet
                > > management 2.7 I am wondering if:
                > >
                > > 1. They will provide my position to the T2-301 so that it can be
                > > transmitted.
                > >
                > > 2. Is the waypoint display failure mode
                > > a) Makes duplicates
                > > b) No display
                > > c) Something else
                > >
                > > Any information would be helpful
                > >
                > > Chris
                > > KF7FIR

              • Chris
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 22, 2012
                  I have purchased a replacement on ebay, and it is on its way. Thanks for the tip.

                  Chris
                  KF7FIR

                  --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fort <eric.fort@...> wrote:

                  > Ebay is probably your best bet. there are a number of nuvi 350 units
                  > listed with buy it now and next day shipping (even if next day shipping
                  > almost doubles the asking price of the unit). Take a buy it now and call
                  > it done for less than $80, have it delivered by tuesday.
                  >
                  > af6ep
                  >
                  > other than that, I'd be willing to assist your plight by selling you my
                  > nuvi 350 for the cost of replacing it a week or so from now with an
                  > equivalent unit and the lifetime maps upgrade it has installed. I have no
                  > problem helping someone out by rotating hardware that I use only rarely.
                  >

                  > On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Chris <wellread1@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >

                  > > My nuvi 350 is toast.
                  > >
                  > > I understand that the new nuvi's aren't fully compatible with the Tracker2
                  > > (t2-301) but as I need to buy a replacement and the nuvi 2455 and 2555 are
                  > > members of the nuvi 2xx5 series which are listed as supporting fleet
                  > > management 2.7 I am wondering if:
                  > >
                  > > 1. They will provide my position to the T2-301 so that it can be
                  > > transmitted.
                  > >
                  > > 2. Is the waypoint display failure mode
                  > > a) Makes duplicates
                  > > b) No display
                  > > c) Something else
                  > >
                  > > Any information would be helpful
                  > >
                  > > Chris
                  > > KF7FIR

                • Chris
                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 22, 2012
                    Thanks for the tip, I elected the ebay option. Hopefully that will work out.

                    Chris
                    KF7FIR

                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 24, 2012
                      FMI 2.5 and above units like the 2xx5 don't leave duplicates - and in
                      fact they support expiration of old waypoints - but so far they don't
                      handle screen refreshes properly. If you exit and re-enter the map
                      you'll see moved stations, but otherwise you only get updates rarely
                      when it redraws on its own.

                      Scott

                      On 10/21/2012 2:13 PM, Chris wrote:
                      > Thanks for the info.
                      >
                      > When you note that they produce duplicates, are you are referring
                      > specifically to the nuvi 2xx5 series (I am interested in the nuvi 2455
                      > or 2555) or the general failure mode observed in earlier models? I can
                      > live with the duplicates temporarily. I will get a replacement nuvi 350
                      > at the earliest possible time.
                      >
                      > Another pressing is issue it whether this unit will communicate with the
                      > Tracker2 to send my position packets to the other members of my party in
                      > the field.
                      >
                      > Chris
                      > KF7FIR

                      > Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > At 09:54 AM 2012-10-21, Chris wrote:
                      > >
                      > > >2. Is the waypoint display failure mode
                      > > >a) Makes duplicates
                      > > >b) No display
                      > > >c) Something else
                      > >
                      > > My understanding is that they leave duplicates on the map. This is
                      > > based on a verbal comment from some fellow amateurs about "droppings"
                      > > on the screen. Dunno about the favourites screen.
                      > >
                      > > Tony

                    • Chris
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 26, 2012
                        Thanks Scott,

                        That information is very helpful for my next purchase decision.

                        Chris
                        KF7FIR

                        > FMI 2.5 and above units like the 2xx5 don't leave duplicates - and in
                        > fact they support expiration of old waypoints - but so far they don't
                        > handle screen refreshes properly. If you exit and re-enter the map
                        > you'll see moved stations, but otherwise you only get updates rarely
                        > when it redraws on its own.
                        >
                        > Scott
                        >
                        > On 10/21/2012 2:13 PM, Chris wrote:
                        > > Thanks for the info.
                        > >
                        > > When you note that they produce duplicates, are you are referring
                        > > specifically to the nuvi 2xx5 series (I am interested in the nuvi 2455
                        > > or 2555) or the general failure mode observed in earlier models? I can
                        > > live with the duplicates temporarily. I will get a replacement nuvi 350
                        > > at the earliest possible time.
                        > >
                        > > Another pressing is issue it whether this unit will communicate with the
                        > > Tracker2 to send my position packets to the other members of my party in
                        > > the field.
                        > >
                        > > Chris
                        > > KF7FIR

                        > > Tony VE6MVP <tony@> wrote:

                        > > > My understanding is that they leave duplicates on the map. This is
                        > > > based on a verbal comment from some fellow amateurs about "droppings"
                        > > > on the screen. Dunno about the favourites screen.
                        > > >
                        > > > Tony

                      • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 26, 2012
                          Thank you VERY much for that hint! I took my YL's 1490 out last night
                          with APRSISCE from my phone gating from -IS to RF and saw the same
                          behavior there. The phone showed up initially, but didn't move as we
                          traveled down the road. Switching to the menu and back to the map moved
                          the phone to where it last beaconed. I did this repeatedly.

                          Apparently, the Nuvi 1490 doesn't force a map refresh when FMI changes
                          the waypoint/favorites information. Bummer.

                          PS. Configuration of KJ4OVQ-9: Nuvi 1490 with (proper, different than
                          350) FMI cable to T3-135 inside an Alinco DR-135.

                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 26, 2012
                            > Apparently, the Nuvi 1490 doesn't force a map refresh when FMI changes
                            > the waypoint/favorites information. Bummer.

                            Right. The programmers working on the GUI aren't the same ones that
                            work on the FMI stuff, apparently, and they seem to be very cautious
                            about changing absolutely anything user-facing.

                            Scott
                          • Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke
                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 26, 2012
                              Lynn W. Deffenbaugh wrote:

                              > Apparently, the Nuvi 1490 doesn't force a map refresh when FMI changes
                              > the waypoint/favorites information. Bummer.

                              Is that how the NUVI 350 does it? I've never really
                              known. When the TNC sends a new position to the NUVI
                              via the FMI, does the NUVI refresh ONLY that single
                              new position?

                              ie, if a station beacons and displays on the 350, then
                              that station shuts down for overnight or for days or
                              whatever, does the NUVI 350 still show that stale
                              icon where the station was last seen?

                              Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

                              www.n0eq.com
                            • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                              Message 14 of 29 , Oct 26, 2012
                                On 10/26/2012 1:12 PM, Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke wrote:
                                > Lynn W. Deffenbaugh wrote:
                                >
                                >> Apparently, the Nuvi 1490 doesn't force a map refresh when FMI changes
                                >> the waypoint/favorites information. Bummer.
                                > Is that how the NUVI 350 does it? I've never really
                                > known. When the TNC sends a new position to the NUVI
                                > via the FMI, does the NUVI refresh ONLY that single
                                > new position?

                                Don't know about ONLY, but when a new station position is received, the
                                Nuvi 350 immediately reflects the information on the screen. For all I
                                know it's updating everything on the screen, but the effect is the same.

                                > ie, if a station beacons and displays on the 350, then
                                > that station shuts down for overnight or for days or
                                > whatever, does the NUVI 350 still show that stale
                                > icon where the station was last seen?

                                The 350 does remember the most recent position of every station it has
                                ever heard until that station moves (at which point it moves) or you
                                manually delete it from your favorites or clear all favorites. There is
                                no indication of the age of a station, and you will see it where you
                                last heard from it until you take some manual action to remove it.

                                It's not a perfect APRS solution, but it's the closest you can come for
                                the small amount it costs you, $40-$95 for a TNC and ~$50 (tops, check
                                e-bay) for the GPS. Full APRS messaging and a map display with received
                                station information, just add a radio.

                              • Michael Kaufman
                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 26, 2012
                                  Lumpy:
                                  To answer your question, the nuvi 350 will hold the call-sign in position indefinitely or until you do a clear all waypoints. It will always show the closest waypoint to you first in your favorites and I do not believe there is a way of checking so see how old that position may be.  I am not sure of what happens when the number of waypoints in the memory is exceeded, I believe the farthest waypoint is deleted and replaced. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. In my opinion the Nuvi 350 is the best GPS for the job. I have 2 of them in my mobiles running a T2 into a Icom 2820 and a T2 301 in my floatplane.

                                  Mike
                                  WB9SLI

                                  > Apparently, the Nuvi 1490 doesn't force a map refresh when FMI changes
                                  > the waypoint/favorites information.  Bummer.

                                  Is that how the NUVI 350 does it? I've never really
                                  known. When the TNC sends a new position to the NUVI
                                  via the FMI, does the NUVI refresh ONLY that single
                                  new position?

                                  ie, if a station beacons and displays on the 350, then
                                  that station shuts down for overnight or for days or
                                  whatever, does the NUVI 350 still show that stale
                                  icon where the station was last seen?

                                  Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

                                  www.n0eq.com

                                  <*> Your email settings:
                                      Individual Email | Traditional

                                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                                  <*> To change settings via email:
                                      tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                      tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Oct 26, 2012
                                    On 10/26/2012 1:36 PM, Michael Kaufman wrote:
                                    I am not sure of what happens when the number of waypoints in the memory is exceeded, I believe the farthest waypoint is deleted and replaced. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

                                    Unfortunately, when the favorites is full (it's either 100 or 500) you get an error message every time a new station is received.  An existing station moving is fine, but a new station will pop up some warning about it being full.  But it's not that difficult to delete a few favorites either.   The 1490 actually made deleting individual favorites harder, unless there's a menu navigation sequence that I haven't figured out yet.

                                    In my opinion the Nuvi 350 is the best GPS for the job. I have 2 of them in my mobiles running a T2 into a Icom 2820 and a T2 301 in my floatplane.

                                    Certainly better than a non-display GPS feeding a transmit-only tracker!  Even if all it had to offer was bi-directional APRS messaging, it'd be good.  The display is, IMHO, an added bonus!  And you get street-level routing to boot!

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Oct 26, 2012
                                      The 350 never deletes old icons. There was no 'delete' command in FMI
                                      *or* the old serial protocol until I talked them into it with FMI 2.5.

                                      The map doesn't do a visible redraw - the moved icon just moves.

                                      Scott

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Oct 26, 2012
                                        > The 350 does remember the most recent position of every station it has
                                        > ever heard until that station moves (at which point it moves) or you
                                        > manually delete it from your favorites or clear all favorites. There is
                                        > no indication of the age of a station, and you will see it where you
                                        > last heard from it until you take some manual action to remove it.

                                        For FMI 2.5, Garmin implemented my suggestion of a 'delete by category'
                                        command and a category bitmap. The tracker creates an 'APRS' category
                                        that all APRS stations belong to. It also creates a few hidden
                                        categories. Each waypoint, as it is created or updated, is assigned to
                                        one of these categories based on the time of day at that moment. When
                                        the tracker changes to the next time-based category, it deletes all of
                                        the waypoints already in that category. The result is that the oldest
                                        waypoints get deleted.

                                        So individual waypoints don't expire exactly at (for example) 2 hours
                                        after their creation, but all of the waypoints between 1 hour 45 minutes
                                        and 2 hours in age would expire at the same time. The T2/T3 code refers
                                        to each age group of waypoints as a cohort. It keeps the code on
                                        Garmin's side extremely simple and eliminates the need for the tracker
                                        to track waypoint ages itself.

                                        Scott
                                      • Dave Miller
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Oct 27, 2012
                                          Scott,
                                          So can you clarify please?
                                          Will a 1490 with a FMI cable and a T2-301 be a suitable replacement for a Nuvi 350? Do we lose anything? Do we gain anything? Do we need to update to a T3-301?
                                          My Nuvi350 is getting long in the tooth and it starting to display garbled callsigns on a real regular basis. I notice it of of course my own callsign. Variations like VE&PKE-9 or VE7WKE-9 etc. I am assuming this is in the Nuvi??

                                          Thanks
                                          Dave

                                          > > The 350 does remember the most recent position of every station it has
                                          > > ever heard until that station moves (at which point it moves) or you
                                          > > manually delete it from your favorites or clear all favorites. There is
                                          > > no indication of the age of a station, and you will see it where you
                                          > > last heard from it until you take some manual action to remove it.
                                          >
                                          > For FMI 2.5, Garmin implemented my suggestion of a 'delete by category'
                                          > command and a category bitmap. The tracker creates an 'APRS' category
                                          > that all APRS stations belong to. It also creates a few hidden
                                          > categories. Each waypoint, as it is created or updated, is assigned to
                                          > one of these categories based on the time of day at that moment. When
                                          > the tracker changes to the next time-based category, it deletes all of
                                          > the waypoints already in that category. The result is that the oldest
                                          > waypoints get deleted.
                                          >
                                          > So individual waypoints don't expire exactly at (for example) 2 hours
                                          > after their creation, but all of the waypoints between 1 hour 45 minutes
                                          > and 2 hours in age would expire at the same time. The T2/T3 code refers
                                          > to each age group of waypoints as a cohort. It keeps the code on
                                          > Garmin's side extremely simple and eliminates the need for the tracker
                                          > to track waypoint ages itself.
                                          >
                                          > Scott

                                        • Keith VE7GDH
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Oct 27, 2012
                                            Dave VE7PKE wrote...

                                            > My Nuvi350 is getting long in the tooth and it starting to display
                                            > garbled callsigns on a real regular basis. I notice it of course
                                            > my own callsign. Variations like VE&PKE-9 or VE7WKE-9 etc.
                                            > I am assuming this is in the Nuvi??

                                            Any chance you have PASSALL turned ON in the T2-301?

                                            If it isn't, are you hearing the garbled callsigns direct or via
                                            a digi? Perhaps there is a digi in your area that (cluelessly)
                                            has PASSALL turned ON. However, I don't see any evidence
                                            that VE&PKE-9 or VE7WKE-9 have made it to an IGate,
                                            so perhaps only you are seeing this.

                                            I wouldn't expect that it would be caused by the Nuvi, but
                                            testing it should be as easy as connecting the T2-301 to a
                                            terminal program and watching the output.

                                            73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                                          • Dave Miller
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Oct 28, 2012
                                              Keith, Anything is possible.
                                              I did a quick search of the Tracker 2 manual and the OTWconfig program and I can't find where the PASSALL "ON" "OFF" switch is adjusted.
                                              Since they are being displayed on the Nuvi it means they are coming off the air. My station is sending out the position report. Then it is either hearing a gorped transmission or a Digi is gorping it or the T2-301 is messing up and reporting the trashed call sign.

                                              Thanks for your suggestion and I am pleased to check the setting but need to find where to check.
                                              Thanks
                                              Dave

                                              > Dave VE7PKE wrote...
                                              >
                                              > > My Nuvi350 is getting long in the tooth and it starting to display
                                              > > garbled callsigns on a real regular basis. I notice it of course
                                              > > my own callsign. Variations like VE&PKE-9 or VE7WKE-9 etc.
                                              > > I am assuming this is in the Nuvi??
                                              >
                                              > Any chance you have PASSALL turned ON in the T2-301?
                                              >
                                              > If it isn't, are you hearing the garbled callsigns direct or via
                                              > a digi? Perhaps there is a digi in your area that (cluelessly)
                                              > has PASSALL turned ON. However, I don't see any evidence
                                              > that VE&PKE-9 or VE7WKE-9 have made it to an IGate,
                                              > so perhaps only you are seeing this.
                                              >
                                              > I wouldn't expect that it would be caused by the Nuvi, but
                                              > testing it should be as easy as connecting the T2-301 to a
                                              > terminal program and watching the output.
                                              >
                                              > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                                            • Rob
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Oct 28, 2012
                                                On 29/10/2012 03:35, Dave Miller wrote:

                                                I did a quick search of the Tracker 2 manual and the OTWconfig program and I can't find where the PASSALL "ON" "OFF" switch is adjusted.

                                                I seem to remember that's a console command only. Connect with a terminal and type PASSALL. That will show you the current state. Type PASSALL OFF to disable it. The same thing happened to one of my T2s. I never turned it on. A glitch in the Matrix.

                                                --
                                                Rob, VK6UFO, VK6RN
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Oct 30, 2012
                                                  Depends on what features are important to you. The main thing you lose
                                                  is live display of moving stations on the screen, and you can't see
                                                  callsigns without tapping each station's icon.

                                                  APRS aside, I don't care for the 1200/1300/1400 series as a navigation
                                                  device. The 350 had a snappier interface. Simply zooming the map in
                                                  and out and trying to pan around on my 1490 usually results in some cursing.

                                                  I've heard the 2xx5 series is better in that respect, and that's where
                                                  Garmin seems to be focusing their development effort.

                                                  As for variations of your callsign, that sounds like either you've got
                                                  PASSALL turned on, or someone running a PC-based digi does.

                                                  Scott

                                                  On 10/27/2012 11:16 AM, Dave Miller wrote:
                                                  > Scott,
                                                  > So can you clarify please?
                                                  > Will a 1490 with a FMI cable and a T2-301 be a suitable replacement for
                                                  > a Nuvi 350? Do we lose anything? Do we gain anything? Do we need to
                                                  > update to a T3-301?
                                                  > My Nuvi350 is getting long in the tooth and it starting to display
                                                  > garbled callsigns on a real regular basis. I notice it of of course my
                                                  > own callsign. Variations like VE&PKE-9 or VE7WKE-9 etc. I am assuming
                                                  > this is in the Nuvi??
                                                  >
                                                  > Thanks
                                                  > Dave

                                                  > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > > The 350 does remember the most recent position of every station it has
                                                  > > > ever heard until that station moves (at which point it moves) or you
                                                  > > > manually delete it from your favorites or clear all favorites. There is
                                                  > > > no indication of the age of a station, and you will see it where you
                                                  > > > last heard from it until you take some manual action to remove it.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > For FMI 2.5, Garmin implemented my suggestion of a 'delete by category'
                                                  > > command and a category bitmap. The tracker creates an 'APRS' category
                                                  > > that all APRS stations belong to. It also creates a few hidden
                                                  > > categories. Each waypoint, as it is created or updated, is assigned to
                                                  > > one of these categories based on the time of day at that moment. When
                                                  > > the tracker changes to the next time-based category, it deletes all of
                                                  > > the waypoints already in that category. The result is that the oldest
                                                  > > waypoints get deleted.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > So individual waypoints don't expire exactly at (for example) 2 hours
                                                  > > after their creation, but all of the waypoints between 1 hour 45 minutes
                                                  > > and 2 hours in age would expire at the same time. The T2/T3 code refers
                                                  > > to each age group of waypoints as a cohort. It keeps the code on
                                                  > > Garmin's side extremely simple and eliminates the need for the tracker
                                                  > > to track waypoint ages itself.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Scott

                                                • Dave Miller
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Nov 1, 2012
                                                    Thanks for the low down on the Nuvi's. Sure wish the 350 was not so old.

                                                    Scott you were correct. Passall was on. All I know is I never recall turning it on. ;-)
                                                    I imagine that will fix that. Thank you.
                                                    Dave

                                                  • qrv@kd4e.com
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Nov 1, 2012
                                                      We have two working Nuvi 350's which we no longer use.

                                                      They include the DC-adapter w/mount, protective sleeve
                                                      & I think I have the little manuals for both.

                                                      $25. each including shipping to standard USA addresses.

                                                      > Thanks for the low down on the Nuvi's. Sure wish the 350 was not so
                                                      > old.
                                                      >
                                                      > Scott you were correct. Passall was on. All I know is I never recall
                                                      > turning it on. ;-) I imagine that will fix that. Thank you. Dave

                                                      --

                                                      Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
                                                      David Colburn nevils-station.com
                                                      I don't google I SEARCH! duckduckgo.com
                                                    • RJ Stiles
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Aug 19, 2013
                                                        Does anyone have experience using the nuvi 2xx7 series (FMI 2.8) with the Tracker2 or Tracker3? Has there been any progress made on the screen refresh issue? Are there any other understandable APRS issues?

                                                        Thank you,
                                                        Rob
                                                        KD0FTJ