RE: [tracker2] Deluo GPS

  • 'Scott Miller'
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 16, 2007
      Hmm, I wonder if something's up with gmail - that message got me a bounce notice from every gmail user on the list, I think.  Let's see if it does it again...

      Scott

      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 18, 2007
        Thank you for responding, I hope we can get this fixed.

        I switched my primary email to another; I have not received any emails
        at all. I hope that this one (through yahoo) will work.

        Okay, I have turned off autobaud, position reports GPS, bbaud is 4800
        bmode is auto so far no data, GPS behaves in the same way (flashing
        red light, then solid). I tried using a second (same model) GPS, they
        behave both in the same way.

        Any other ideas? Here is output from info, I figure it might help or
        even make sense, I have not calibrated the tempadj as you can see.

        md:info
        OVF1:0 OVF2:0 PORT:0 EVQ:0000 BUF:00
        TEMP:-327F VOLT:0 RX:62 FCS:41 DIGI:0 CFG2
        cmd:

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "'Scott Miller'" <scott@...> wrote:

        > Hmm, I wonder if something's up with gmail - that message got me a
        bounce
        > notice from every gmail user on the list, I think. Let's see if it
        does it
        > again...
        >
        > Scott
        >

        > _____

        Behalf
        > Of 'Scott Miller'
        > Sent: Friday, March 16, 2007 10:16 AM
        > To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: RE: [tracker2] Deluo GPS
        >

        > I'll add a passthrough mode to my to-do list. That could be useful.
        What
        > does the POSITION command report? Turning AUTOBAUD off can
        eliminate one
        > potential source of problems if it's getting stuck in the wrong baud
        rate
        > for some reason.
        >
        > Scott
        >

        > _____

      • 'Scott Miller'
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 19, 2007
          Any blinking lights on the T2-135 board itself?  You should be getting something, even if the fix is bad.

          Scott

          Thank you for responding, I hope we can get this fixed.

          I switched my primary email to another; I have not received any emails
          at all. I hope that this one (through yahoo) will work.

          Okay, I have turned off autobaud, position reports GPS, bbaud is 4800
          bmode is auto so far no data, GPS behaves in the same way (flashing
          red light, then solid). I tried using a second (same model) GPS, they
          behave both in the same way.

          Any other ideas? Here is output from info, I figure it might help or
          even make sense, I have not calibrated the tempadj as you can see.

          md:info
          OVF1:0 OVF2:0 PORT:0 EVQ:0000 BUF:00
          TEMP:-327F VOLT:0 RX:62 FCS:41 DIGI:0 CFG2
          cmd:

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "'Scott Miller'" <scott@...> wrote:

          > Hmm, I wonder if something's up with gmail - that message got me a
          bounce
          > notice from every gmail user on the list, I think. Let's see if it
          does it
          > again...
          >
          > Scott
          >

          > _____

        • Chris
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 19, 2007
            Yes I do,
            When ever it hears an aprs signal the green light comes on for the
            duration of the signal. The red light comes on for the duration of
            the transmit, (with manual lat/long, or send/conv command)

            it also flashes during startup. If I put the radio on a quite
            frequency, and do not transmit I believe that I have no lights
            flashing after the startup flashes. I was hoping there was a mon b on
            type command that I could try to see the raw data.

            I have heard that I have to turn something off in regards to the B
            port, I am waiting to hear what that is, when I do, and if it works, I
            will post it here for the good of the achives.

            until then, Anymore ideas?

          • Chris
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 20, 2007
              Ok, there is what I have found. firmware 54030 works with GPS
              but the new firmware 54085 (I think) doesn't. Not sure if this helps
              us out any. I not sure if I need any of the new features, but I will
              check. do you think you could email me the 54030 code so I can
              download that into the other tnc and test.

            • 'Scott Miller'
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 22, 2007
                Ok, I'm going to try to duplicate this.  When you load the new firmware, make sure you erase the configuration and accept the defaults.  Make sure BMODE is AUTO.  Send me the output of the DISPLAY command (and optionally a saved config file, off-list) and I'll check it out.

                Scott

                Ok, there is what I have found. firmware 54030 works with GPS
                but the new firmware 54085 (I think) doesn't. Not sure if this helps
                us out any. I not sure if I need any of the new features, but I will
                check. do you think you could email me the 54030 code so I can
                download that into the other tnc and test.

                --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "'Scott Miller'" <scott@...> wrote:

                > Any blinking lights on the T2-135 board itself? You should be getting
                > something, even if the fix is bad.
                >
                > Scott
                >

                > _____

              • Clay Jackson
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 22, 2007
                  Has anyone else found the Garmin GPS18 to be a bit finicky? I've
                  got it hooked to an ACER through a serial-usb converter, and it seems
                  like I get disconnected a lot and am having some other connectivity
                  sorts of issues.

                  Thanks in advance!

                  Clay
                  N7QNM
                • 'Scott Miller'
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 22, 2007
                    No, never had any problems at all with it.  But then, I've only really used it with trackers.  I've used the Garmin configuration program and found it to be a pain and rather counter-intuitive, but I got it to work.

                    Scott

                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 23, 2007
                      Clay Jackson wrote:
                      > Has anyone else found the Garmin GPS18 to be a bit finicky?

                      Nope. Quite the opposite.

                      I've got one on my desk that was part of a lost balloon payload, sat out
                      in the woods for something like 260 days, and it still behaves just fine.

                      -Jason
                      kg4wsv
                    • Clay Jackson
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 24, 2007
                        Well, an upgrade to the GPS18 software fixed that.....now I'm having another weird problem, see my next message.

                        Clay

                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 24, 2007
                          OK - this is really bizzare! I read the docs on my DR135, and it
                          says that the middle ring on the front panel jack supplies +5V. So,
                          I hooked it up to my Deluo GPS and no light on the Deluo. I
                          measured the voltage, and it's MINUS 5V, NOT PLUS 5. Before I go
                          reversing leads, I thought I'd check this..

                          Anyone seen this? Did Alinco change at some point, or am I just crazy?

                          Thanks!

                          Clay
                          N7QNM
                        • Clay Jackson
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 24, 2007
                            I'll be dipped!!!!

                            I have another Alinco - a DR135MKII - just plugged it in, and sure
                            enough, it supplies PLUS 5!!!!

                            Anyone got any ideas?

                            Should the old one go back to Alinco?

                            Thanks in advanced, puzzled in Seattle!

                            Clay
                            N7QNM

                            On Mar 24, 2007, at 10:17 PM, Clay Jackson wrote:

                            > OK - this is really bizzare! I read the docs on my DR135, and it
                            > says that the middle ring on the front panel jack supplies +5V. So,
                            > I hooked it up to my Deluo GPS and no light on the Deluo. I
                            > measured the voltage, and it's MINUS 5V, NOT PLUS 5. Before I go
                            > reversing leads, I thought I'd check this..
                            >
                            > Anyone seen this? Did Alinco change at some point, or am I just
                            > crazy?
                            >
                            > Thanks!
                            >
                            > Clay
                            > N7QNM
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • ljs_hiho
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 25, 2007
                              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Clay Jackson <clayj@...> wrote:

                              > I'll be dipped!!!!
                              >
                              > I have another Alinco - a DR135MKII - just plugged it in, and sure
                              > enough, it supplies PLUS 5!!!!
                              >
                              > Anyone got any ideas?
                              >
                              > Should the old one go back to Alinco?
                              >
                              > Thanks in advanced, puzzled in Seattle!
                              >
                              > Clay
                              > N7QNM
                              >
                              > On Mar 24, 2007, at 10:17 PM, Clay Jackson wrote:
                              >
                              > > OK - this is really bizzare! I read the docs on my DR135, and it
                              > > says that the middle ring on the front panel jack supplies +5V. So,
                              > > I hooked it up to my Deluo GPS and no light on the Deluo. I
                              > > measured the voltage, and it's MINUS 5V, NOT PLUS 5. Before I go
                              > > reversing leads, I thought I'd check this..
                              > >
                              > > Anyone seen this? Did Alinco change at some point, or am I just
                              > > crazy?
                              > >
                              > > Thanks!
                              > >
                              > > Clay
                              > > N7QNM
                              > >

                              > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                              > >

                              > >Hi Clay
                              I have an Alinco 135 MkII and a MkIII here both read positive at the
                              centre pin

                            • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 25, 2007
                                ljs_hiho wrote:
                                > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Clay Jackson <clayj@...> wrote:
                                >
                                >> I'll be dipped!!!!
                                >>
                                >> I have another Alinco - a DR135MKII - just plugged it in, and sure
                                >> enough, it supplies PLUS 5!!!!
                                >>
                                >> Anyone got any ideas?
                                >>

                                > I have an Alinco 135 MkII and a MkIII here both read positive at the
                                > centre pin

                                My DR135 MkIII is showing positive 5.

                                de Paulus N5SNN
                              • 'Scott Miller'
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 25, 2007
                                  My notes say that the sleeve is ground, the ring is +5 (or more like 4.5, I think) and tip is data.  That's how I've always wired it up, and it's always worked.  Sure you got the right contact on your 3.5mm plug?

                                  Scott

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 25, 2007
                                    That's a new one for me.  What version is the other radio?

                                    I have another Alinco - a DR135MKII - just plugged it in, and sure
                                    enough, it supplies PLUS 5!!!!

                                    Anyone got any ideas?

                                    Should the old one go back to Alinco?

                                    Thanks in advanced, puzzled in Seattle!

                                    Clay
                                    N7QNM

                                    On Mar 24, 2007, at 10:17 PM, Clay Jackson wrote:

                                    > OK - this is really bizzare! I read the docs on my DR135, and it
                                    > says that the middle ring on the front panel jack supplies +5V. So,
                                    > I hooked it up to my Deluo GPS and no light on the Deluo. I
                                    > measured the voltage, and it's MINUS 5V, NOT PLUS 5. Before I go
                                    > reversing leads, I thought I'd check this..
                                    >
                                    > Anyone seen this? Did Alinco change at some point, or am I just
                                    > crazy?
                                    >
                                    > Thanks!
                                    >
                                    > Clay
                                    > N7QNM
                                    >

                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • Clay Jackson
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 25, 2007
                                      The other radio is much older; close to 4 years, I think.  Here's the REALLY interesting part - when I did a FULL RESET, it popped back to +5, right where it should be.

                                      I looked at the schematic, and there's a PROGRAMMABLE voltage regulator on that line, that will deliver +5 to -5 (and +12 to -12 on a different set of pins).   So, I guess something flipped a bit somewhere.  I'm gonna leave that radio here on my bench for a while and see what happens after a bunch of power cycles and other abuse.

                                      The MkII just went in my daughter's truck, first with the Deluo GPS (because it has an LED that will indicate fixes, etc) and then with the Garmin (GPS-18), once I verified that all the cabling was correct.  So, look for KD7ULI-9.   One other thing I did note is that it's reporting 1.3 or 1.4 V; is there a spot for a multiplier (I seem to recall seeing one).

                                      I'm also still interested in 2 more T2-135s (for the radio now on my bench, and the one in my wife's car).

                                      Clay
                                      N7QNM

                                      On Mar 25, 2007, at 9:59 AM, Scott Miller wrote:

                                      That's a new one for me.  What version is the other radio?

                                      I have another Alinco - a DR135MKII - just plugged it in, and sure
                                      enough, it supplies PLUS 5!!!!

                                      Anyone got any ideas?

                                      Should the old one go back to Alinco?

                                      Thanks in advanced, puzzled in Seattle!

                                      Clay
                                      N7QNM

                                      On Mar 24, 2007, at 10:17 PM, Clay Jackson wrote:

                                      > OK - this is really bizzare! I read the docs on my DR135, and it
                                      > says that the middle ring on the front panel jack supplies +5V. So,
                                      > I hooked it up to my Deluo GPS and no light on the Deluo. I
                                      > measured the voltage, and it's MINUS 5V, NOT PLUS 5. Before I go
                                      > reversing leads, I thought I'd check this..
                                      >
                                      > Anyone seen this? Did Alinco change at some point, or am I just
                                      > crazy?
                                      >
                                      > Thanks!
                                      >
                                      > Clay
                                      > N7QNM
                                      >

                                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    • 'Scott Miller'
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 26, 2007
                                        Wow, that's scary.  I hope the GPS receivers are more tolerant of -5 V than they are of +12.

                                        I made a firmware fix LATE last night for Baker to Vegas - turns out that the insidious timeslotting bug that's kept me from releasing a new OpenTracker build for some time now had made its way into the T2 codebase after all.  The good news is that I've got it fixed for both, now.  And came up with an idea for sub-second timeslot support while I was working on it.  Ought to at least work with the GPS 18, not sure about the Sony chipset.  Even mediocre radios ought to be able to squeeze a position report into 1/2 second.  If it works out, I figure I'll give it 1/4 second resolution.

                                        THEN we've got to figure out how to implement self-organizing timeslotting, like AIS.  Only AIS doesn't have to deal with a massive hidden transmitter problem, and digipeaters with overlapping coverage areas... still, even a simple slotted-ALOHA implementation would double the channel utilization.  A half-decent self-organizing scheme ought to be able to double it beyond that.

                                        Wait... is it a T2-135 that's reporting voltage?  They're not supposed to do that.  There's no 12-volt supply to measure, and no temperature sensor since I figured people wouldn't really care about the internal temperature in their radio.

                                        Scott

                                        I have another Alinco - a DR135MKII - just plugged it in, and sure
                                        enough, it supplies PLUS 5!!!!

                                        Anyone got any ideas?

                                        Should the old one go back to Alinco?

                                        Thanks in advanced, puzzled in Seattle!

                                        Clay
                                        N7QNM

                                        On Mar 24, 2007, at 10:17 PM, Clay Jackson wrote:

                                        > OK - this is really bizzare! I read the docs on my DR135, and it
                                        > says that the middle ring on the front panel jack supplies +5V. So,
                                        > I hooked it up to my Deluo GPS and no light on the Deluo. I
                                        > measured the voltage, and it's MINUS 5V, NOT PLUS 5. Before I go
                                        > reversing leads, I thought I'd check this..
                                        >
                                        > Anyone seen this? Did Alinco change at some point, or am I just
                                        > crazy?
                                        >
                                        > Thanks!
                                        >
                                        > Clay
                                        > N7QNM
                                        >

                                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      • Chris
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 27, 2007
                                          Okay, I am confused :) nothing new there. I have both t2 working.

                                          I flashed reset with defaults.
                                          no GPS signal

                                          removed, poweroff, etc
                                          no gps signal
                                          I configure with terminal program (not the ot config program)
                                          no gps signal.
                                          I read the config with config program (to send to Scott)
                                          discover terminal configuration was done all in config two.
                                          copy config 2 to config 1 and reset.
                                          NOW I HAVE GPS SIGNAL.

                                          Not exactly sure why... but they are both working. (or at least gps
                                          signal. I am going to go on test drive. and test it .
                                          thank you for your time and help.

                                          -C

                                        • Clay Jackson
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 10, 2007
                                            Hi - sorry for the long silence; it's been kinda busy 'round here, what with Spring Break.

                                            Anyway, yeah, the T2-135 is spitting out a voltage report (it appears to be 1.2-1.4 V).   I'm having trouble right now keeping the GPS18 'online'; I'll bring the radio into my bench from the truck Thursday or Friday nite (meetings tonite and tomorrow nite) and see what gives there.

                                            Any word on more T2-135 protos?

                                            Thanks!

                                            Clay
                                            N7QNM

                                            ==========
                                            On Mar 26, 2007, at 9:18 AM, Scott Miller wrote:

                                            Wow, that's scary.  I hope the GPS receivers are more tolerant of -5 V than they are of +12.

                                            I made a firmware fix LATE last night for Baker to Vegas - turns out that the insidious timeslotting bug that's kept me from releasing a new OpenTracker build for some time now had made its way into the T2 codebase after all.  The good news is that I've got it fixed for both, now.  And came up with an idea for sub-second timeslot support while I was working on it.  Ought to at least work with the GPS 18, not sure about the Sony chipset.  Even mediocre radios ought to be able to squeeze a position report into 1/2 second.  If it works out, I figure I'll give it 1/4 second resolution.

                                            THEN we've got to figure out how to implement self-organizing timeslotting, like AIS.  Only AIS doesn't have to deal with a massive hidden transmitter problem, and digipeaters with overlapping coverage areas... still, even a simple slotted-ALOHA implementation would double the channel utilization.  A half-decent self-organizing scheme ought to be able to double it beyond that.

                                            Wait... is it a T2-135 that's reporting voltage?  They're not supposed to do that.  There's no 12-volt supply to measure, and no temperature sensor since I figured people wouldn't really care about the internal temperature in their radio.

                                            Scott

                                            I have another Alinco - a DR135MKII - just plugged it in, and sure
                                            enough, it supplies PLUS 5!!!!

                                            Anyone got any ideas?

                                            Should the old one go back to Alinco?

                                            Thanks in advanced, puzzled in Seattle!

                                            Clay
                                            N7QNM

                                            On Mar 24, 2007, at 10:17 PM, Clay Jackson wrote:

                                            > OK - this is really bizzare! I read the docs on my DR135, and it
                                            > says that the middle ring on the front panel jack supplies +5V. So,
                                            > I hooked it up to my Deluo GPS and no light on the Deluo. I
                                            > measured the voltage, and it's MINUS 5V, NOT PLUS 5. Before I go
                                            > reversing leads, I thought I'd check this..
                                            >
                                            > Anyone seen this? Did Alinco change at some point, or am I just
                                            > crazy?
                                            >
                                            > Thanks!
                                            >
                                            > Clay
                                            > N7QNM
                                            >

                                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          • Keith VE7GDH
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 15, 2007
                                              Scott N1VG wrote (way back on March 26 2007)

                                              > Wait... is it a T2-135 that's reporting voltage? They're not
                                              > supposed to do that. There's no 12-volt supply to measure,
                                              > and no temperature sensor since I figured people wouldn't
                                              > really care about the internal temperature in their radio.

                                              I just posted a reply to a more recent message where I replied to Tom W3TMC
                                              about "Monitor voltages on boat" where I mentioned about the T2-135 that mine
                                              "shows something like 3.7 volts" when I have it report the voltage. I see
                                              also there's a copy of the T2-135 schematic in the files section. I'll snag
                                              that later and take a look at it. Guess I'll see then where the 3.7 volts is
                                              coming from that my T2-135 reports.

                                              PS - don't redesign the T2-135 just for me, but if you do ever add a voltage
                                              divider so it can report the supply voltage that would be nice. I know the
                                              temperature wouldn't be very meaningful, but I wouldn't mind seeing a
                                              temperature sensor added as well. Maybe it could just be a couple of pads on
                                              the edge of the board and leave it up to the owner to bring those wires to the
                                              outside world and hang a temperature sensor outboard somewhere.

                                              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                                            • Ian ZL1VFO
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Aug 16, 2007
                                                ~Snip~

                                                > PS - don't redesign the T2-135 just for me, but if you do ever add a voltage
                                                > divider so it can report the supply voltage that would be nice. I know the
                                                > temperature wouldn't be very meaningful, but I wouldn't mind seeing a
                                                > temperature sensor added as well. Maybe it could just be a couple of pads on
                                                > the edge of the board and leave it up to the owner to bring those wires to the
                                                > outside world and hang a temperature sensor outboard somewhere.

                                                > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                                                Well, if you were using one of these as a digipeater setup, it might
                                                be quite nice to keep an eye on your supply voltage and heatsink
                                                temperature somehow...

                                                -Ian ZL1VFO