Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: looking for a comprehensive list of aprs digipeaters

Expand Messages
  • Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke
    ... Consider the question Why do I want to know the digi s? . It s not required to tell your APRS client/device which digi s to use. Simply set your
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
    • 0 Attachment
      Eric Fort wrote:

      > Anyone know where or have a link to where I might find a listing or
      > directory of APRS digipeaters across the us with at least lat/lon for
      > location if not coverage maps? I'm especially interested in aprs
      > coverage
      > in West Virginia around the towns of Green Bank and Sugar Grove and
      > how far
      > out of town one needs to get in these areas to regain aprs coverage.

      Consider the question "Why do I want to know the digi's?".

      It's not required to tell your APRS client/device which digi's to
      use. Simply set your parameters to WIDE2-1 and see if you achieve
      appropriate coverage by viewing your station on aprs.fi or findu.
      In aprs.fi you can view your raw packets which will tell you which
      digi is digipeating your signal. But again, knowledge of which digi
      is doing the deed is not really required. It may be interesting to
      know where and who the digi's are and how far my signal is traveling.
      But the bottom line is "Is my signal reaching the network".


      Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

      www.n0eq.com
    • Eric Fort
      On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Craig Lumpy Lemke
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
      • 0 Attachment
        On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke <lumpy@...> wrote:

        Eric Fort wrote:

        > Anyone know where or have a link to where I might find a listing or
        > directory of APRS digipeaters across the us with at least lat/lon for
        > location if not coverage maps?  I'm especially interested in aprs
        > coverage
        > in West Virginia around the towns of Green Bank and Sugar Grove and
        > how far
        > out of town one needs to get in these areas to regain aprs coverage.

        Consider the question "Why do I want to know the digi's?".

        It's not required to tell your APRS client/device which digi's to
        use. Simply set your parameters to WIDE2-1 and see if you achieve
        appropriate coverage by viewing your station on aprs.fi or findu.
        In aprs.fi you can view your raw packets which will tell you which
        digi is digipeating your signal. But again, knowledge of which digi
        is doing the deed is not really required. It may be interesting to
        know where and who the digi's are and how far my signal is traveling.
        But the bottom line is "Is my signal reaching the network".


        Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

        www.n0eq.com

        I specifically asked not for issues of routing but to get an idea of coverage for a proposed vacation route.  also of note, the area of interest I'm looking at is (in) the national radio quiet zone laid out to protect  the telescope at green bank WV and the naval station (and nsa listening post) at sugar grove, WV.  I'm actually somewhat supprised that coverage in that area appears to be as good as it looks.  They tend to discourage both intentional and uintentional radiators in this area.

        AF6EP
      • Bob Burns W9RXR
        ... Keep in mind that the digipeater coverage plots you ve been provided are only representations of the area covered by the digi based on a rough calculation
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
        • 0 Attachment
          On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Eric Fort <eric.fort@...> wrote:

          also of note, the area of interest I'm looking at is (in) the national radio quiet zone laid out to protect  the telescope at green bank WV and the naval station (and nsa listening post) at sugar grove, WV.  I'm actually somewhat supprised that coverage in that area appears to be as good as it looks.


          Keep in mind that the digipeater coverage plots you've been provided are only representations of the area covered by the digi based on a rough calculation using the digi's power output, antenna height, antenna gain, and antenna pattern. While the RF output at the digipeater will be high, the field strength will fall off as you reach the limits of those arbitrary circles.

          Bob...
        • Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke
          ... I didn t see that you specifically asked nor for issues of routing . What I saw was you asked for a list of digipeaters. I suggest that a list of that
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
          • 0 Attachment
            Eric Fort wrote:


            > I specifically asked not for issues of routing but to get an idea of
            > coverage for a proposed vacation route...

            I didn't see that you "specifically asked nor for issues of routing".
            What I saw was you asked for a list of digipeaters. I suggest that
            a list of that nature borders on useless in trying to determine
            coverage.

            Much, much simpler, is to view the system in real time. Go to aprs.fi
            and view the area you want to travel in. See if other stations and mobiles
            are being digipeated. THAT will give you an accurate guess as to if you
            will be covered. A list of digi's won't.

            And in the bigger picture, knowing (guessing) that there is or isn't
            coverage in any particular area won't get you coverage. If you travel
            into an area without coverage, nothing you can do will change that.
            You won't reach the network. And conversely, traveling into an area
            that does have coverage is seamless. There's no settings to change.

            My apologies if you already knew all this. It appeared by your
            initial post that you weren't very familiar with how the network works.


            Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

            www.n0eq.com
          • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
            ... Pardon my picking of the nits, but view the system in real time is not going to be accomplished by go to aprs.fi . Due to the duplicate packet filtering
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
            • 0 Attachment
              On 10/3/2012 2:28 PM, Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke wrote:
              > Much, much simpler, is to view the system in real time. Go to aprs.fi
              > and view the area you want to travel in. See if other stations and mobiles
              > are being digipeated. THAT will give you an accurate guess as to if you
              > will be covered. A list of digi's won't.

              Pardon my picking of the nits, but "view the system in real time" is not
              going to be accomplished by "go to aprs.fi".

              Due to the duplicate packet filtering enforced by the APRS-IS transport
              from which aprs.fi draws all of its information, and the fact that
              aprs.fi shows you stations from its accumulated database based on
              selected time window, all you'll get on an aprs.fi display is a
              time-windowed accumulation of stations and the route their respective
              FIRST packet to reach an IGate took.

              The only way to see the true nature of the digipeater action is to bring
              up your own RF-connected APRS client and truly watch ALL of the packets
              as they bounce around in truly "real time"".

              Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
            • Eric Fort
              On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Craig Lumpy Lemke
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
              • 0 Attachment
                On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke <lumpy@...> wrote:
                Eric Fort wrote:


                > I specifically asked not for issues of routing but to get an idea of
                > coverage for a proposed vacation route...

                I didn't see that you "specifically asked nor for issues of routing".
                What I saw was you asked for a list of digipeaters. I suggest that
                a list of that nature borders on useless in trying to determine
                coverage.

                Much, much simpler, is to view the system in real time. Go to aprs.fi
                and view the area you want to travel in. See if other stations and mobiles
                are being digipeated. THAT will give you an accurate guess as to if you
                will be covered. A list of digi's won't.

                And in the bigger picture, knowing (guessing) that there is or isn't
                coverage in any particular area won't get you coverage. If you travel
                into an area without coverage, nothing you can do will change that.
                You won't reach the network. And conversely, traveling into an area
                that does have coverage is seamless. There's no settings to change.

                My apologies if you already knew all this. It appeared by your
                initial post that you weren't very familiar with how the network works.


                Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

                www.n0eq.com

                I'm not all that familiar with how the aprs network works, but I do know that by knowing the locations of voice repeaters and other fixed radios in an area I can at least get a vague idea of the coverage and service area they provide.  It's also pretty obvious - no radio, no coverage.  Viewing traffic in real time only shows that there is traffic happening.  There could be infrastructure in an area that sees little use, thus the nodes are there, but little traffic.  In an area like the quiet zone where they'd prefer few to none intentional or even unintentional radiators I might suspect that very few would exist.  There's more than I figured.  The map (listing) also shows the calls of those who operate radio's in the area of interest which with the help of qrz one can contact those operators local to an area and get more info.  This I've done.  It's also been good to learn a bit more about the aprs network along the way.

                Eric
                AF6EP
              • Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke
                ... I think it certainly will be real time in terms of what the OP is trying to discover. Is there coverage in an area I m going to travel in? Look on aprs.fi
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 4, 2012
                • 0 Attachment
                  Lynn W. Deffenbaugh wrote:

                  > Pardon my picking of the nits, but
                  > "view the system in real time" is
                  > not going to be accomplished by "go to aprs.fi".
                  >
                  > Due to the duplicate packet filtering enforced
                  > by the APRS-IS transport from which aprs.fi draws
                  > all of its information, and the fact that
                  > aprs.fi shows you stations from its accumulated
                  > database based on selected time window, all you'll
                  > get on an aprs.fi display is a time-windowed accumulation
                  > of stations and the route their respective
                  > FIRST packet to reach an IGate took.

                  I think it certainly will be real time in terms of what
                  the OP is trying to discover. Is there coverage in an area
                  I'm going to travel in? Look on aprs.fi and I'll know.

                  Do I know exactly the route my packet took? How many hops
                  it was digi'd? Sometimes, absolutely yes. But even when the
                  answer is "no" it doesn't make a difference for the question
                  of "is there coverage". If I see mobile APRS stations
                  hitting a digi, I'm quite confident there's coverage in the
                  area between those mobiles.

                  Consider the "list of digi's" approach.

                  Here's a list of three fictitional digi's -

                  W7AAA - 39.0 112.0 1400'
                  W7BBB - 39.2 111.2 2200'
                  W7CCC - 38.2 112.2 875'

                  Is there any possible way to infer what kind of coverage
                  there is in that area? I'm quite certain there isn't.

                  But go to aprs.fi and VIEW the area in question. I'm quite
                  certain I can ascertain if there is coverage in that area.
                  Is it "real time"? Define the definition. If I send an RF
                  packet to the network, I see it on aprs.fi in seconds. But
                  even if it wasn't that fast, the digi's don't move. If stations
                  are hitting digis they're doing it 24/7. Even if we were viewing
                  them in time delay, the coverage wouldn't change.


                  Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

                  www.n0eq.com
                • Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke
                  ... Traffic happening is what APRS is. If there are nodes (they aren t typically called notes in unconnected packet like APRS) we see them. They beacon.
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 4, 2012
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Eric Fort wrote:

                    > Viewing traffic in real time only shows that there is
                    > traffic happening. There could be infrastructure in
                    > an area that sees little use, thus the nodes are
                    > there, but little traffic. In an area like the quiet
                    > zone where they'd prefer few to none intentional or
                    > even unintentional radiators I might
                    > suspect that very few would exist. There's more than
                    > I figured. The map (listing) also shows the calls of
                    > those who operate radio's in the area of
                    > interest which with the help of qrz one can
                    > contact those operators local
                    > to an area and get more info.
                    > This I've done. It's also been good to
                    > learn a bit more about the aprs network along the way.

                    "Traffic happening" is what APRS is. If there are "nodes"
                    (they aren't typically called notes in unconnected packet
                    like APRS) we see them. They beacon. They ALL beacon. Some
                    also digi. But there are no APRS stations that are lying in
                    wait to be "woken up" by traffic. Or to put it another way,
                    if you don't see "traffic" there IS no "infrastructure".

                    Perhaps look at it this way...What is the desired outcome
                    of your research into the area in question? Are you traveling
                    there and want friends and relatives to see your icon on the web?
                    If that's the scenario, you can find out if that will happen or
                    not right now. Just view the web based APRS sites. If you see
                    other mobiles in the area, then YOU will be seen when you're
                    in the area.

                    It's really much simpler than it sometimes seems. We beacon
                    our packets, they either get picked up or they don't. It's
                    not like we're (usually) communicating 2-way like we do on
                    a 2m or UHF repeater.

                    I suspect I've kind of set you off a bit. It really was not
                    my intention. My apologies if I did. Perhaps someone else
                    can explain it in a way which seems more logical. Simple,
                    bottom line answer is - Just beacon your packets. The
                    network does the rest magiriffically.


                    Lumpy

                    You Played on Lawrence Welk?
                    Yes but no blue notes. Just blue hairs.

                    www.LumpyMusic.com
                  • Eric Fort
                    Craig, Yes what I was looking for here was if a station passes through an area, will it bee seen. the means of figuring that out has been demonstrated and
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 4, 2012
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Craig,

                      Yes what I was looking for here was if a station passes through an area, will it bee seen.  the means of figuring that out has been demonstrated and along the way as well as me learning a bit more about how things work along the way.  not off putting at all, simply educational and for that I thank everyone that has participated.

                      Eric

                      On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 4:15 PM, Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke <lumpy@...> wrote:
                      Eric Fort wrote:

                      > Viewing traffic in real time only shows that there is
                      > traffic happening. There could be infrastructure in
                      > an area that sees little use, thus the nodes are
                      > there, but little traffic.  In an area like the quiet
                      > zone where they'd prefer few to none intentional or
                      > even unintentional radiators I might
                      > suspect that very few would exist.  There's more than
                      > I figured. The map (listing) also shows the calls of
                      > those who operate radio's in the area of
                      > interest which with the help of qrz one can
                      > contact those operators local
                      > to an area and get more info.
                      > This I've done.  It's also been good to
                      > learn a bit more about the aprs network along the way.

                      "Traffic happening" is what APRS is. If there are "nodes"
                      (they aren't typically called notes in unconnected packet
                      like APRS) we see them. They beacon. They ALL beacon. Some
                      also digi. But there are no APRS stations that are lying in
                      wait to be "woken up" by traffic. Or to put it another way,
                      if you don't see "traffic" there IS no "infrastructure".

                      Perhaps look at it this way...What is the desired outcome
                      of your research into the area in question? Are you traveling
                      there and want friends and relatives to see your icon on the web?
                      If that's the scenario, you can find out if that will happen or
                      not right now. Just view the web based APRS sites. If you see
                      other mobiles in the area, then YOU will be seen when you're
                      in the area.

                      It's really much simpler than it sometimes seems. We beacon
                      our packets, they either get picked up or they don't. It's
                      not like we're (usually) communicating 2-way like we do on
                      a 2m or UHF repeater.

                      I suspect I've kind of set you off a bit. It really was not
                      my intention. My apologies if I did. Perhaps someone else
                      can explain it in a way which seems more logical. Simple,
                      bottom line answer is - Just beacon your packets. The
                      network does the rest magiriffically.


                      Lumpy

                      You Played on Lawrence Welk?
                      Yes but no blue notes. Just blue hairs.

                      www.LumpyMusic.com





                      ------------------------------------

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracker2/

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracker2/join
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                          tracker2-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                      <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/


                    • James Ewen
                      On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Craig Lumpy Lemke
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 5, 2012
                      • 0 Attachment
                        On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke <lumpy@...> wrote:

                        > I think it certainly will be real time in terms of what
                        > the OP is trying to discover. Is there coverage in an area
                        > I'm going to travel in? Look on aprs.fi and I'll know.

                        The original question was asking for a list of digipeaters, and the coverage in the areas in question.

                        > Do I know exactly the route my packet took? How many hops
                        > it was digi'd? Sometimes, absolutely yes. But even when the
                        > answer is "no" it doesn't make a difference for the question
                        > of "is there coverage". If I see mobile APRS stations
                        > hitting a digi, I'm quite confident there's coverage in the
                        > area between those mobiles.

                        The information displayed at aprs.fi will not always provide the information that you say it will. You can get a partial picture of what is happening out there, but not a full picture.

                        Much of the APRS RF network is hidden from the APRS-IS by the filtering that takes place as packets are moved from RF to the APRS-IS. Only the first packet to get into the APRS-IS stream is kept.

                        Take an example where there are 4 digipeaters that can hear an area, and an i-gate as well. Send a packet out into that network, and the i-gate will pass the packet directly to the APRS-IS first. The packet will also bounce off the 4 digipeaters, and the i-gate will hear those 4 digipeats. The i-gate will try to forward the copies on to the APRS-IS stream, but the first heard only filter will drop the copies. For the observer on the internet, they would never know that the digipeaters can hear into the area.

                        > But go to aprs.fi and VIEW the area in question. I'm quite
                        > certain I can ascertain if there is coverage in that area.
                        > Is it "real time"? Define the definition. If I send an RF
                        > packet to the network, I see it on aprs.fi in seconds. But
                        > even if it wasn't that fast, the digi's don't move. If stations
                        > are hitting digis they're doing it 24/7. Even if we were viewing
                        > them in time delay, the coverage wouldn't change.

                        The issue isn't chronologic, but completeness of the data being observed.

                        In the Edmonton area we have a number of digipeaters. Many of these can hear quite a bit of traffic, and our RF network works very well. We also have some i-gates with HUGE ears. The LAMONT RX only i-gate sits on a hilltop at a world class contesting station VE6JY. It can hear packets directly for a long distance. The CHPMAN digipeater sits a couple miles away. CHPMAN can hear fairly well itself, but looking at aprs.fi's coverage plot based on filtered data only shows a subset of the coverage area.

                        Inline image 1

                        Inline image 2

                        aprs.fi does not show any of the packets that were heard in the City of Edmonton. Those were passed to the internet via one of the 5 or 6 i-gates running in town before CHPMAN handled the packet.

                        Looking at aprs.fi, you can tell if something heard a packet in the area in question, but getting a full idea of the area of coverage of a specific digipeater from the available data is impossible.

                        You could put up a wonderful network of i-gates fully covering an area, and aprs.fi would show that there's great coverage, but drive through the area and you'll never heard a digipeat, and will only hear others within simplex range since there are no digipeaters in the area.

                        Of course the opposite is also true... you could be in an area with wonderful digipeater coverage, but with no i-gates around, one could assume that there's no coverage due to what can be observed via the APRS-IS stream.

                        As long as you are aware that the APRS-IS stream only provides visibility of a small subset of the available data, and that it is skewed towards showing i-gate coverage versus RF coverage, you're good to go...

                        -- 
                        James
                        VE6SRV
                      • Tony VE6MVP
                        ... In Feb/March of this year I travelled from Alberta to British Columbia in areas where there were no digipeaters for hours at a time. I was using my
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 5, 2012
                        • 0 Attachment
                          At 05:15 PM 2012-10-04, Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke wrote:

                          >"Traffic happening" is what APRS is. If there are
                          "nodes"
                          >(they aren't typically called notes in unconnected packet
                          >like APRS) we see them. They beacon. They ALL beacon. Some
                          >also digi. But there are no APRS stations that are lying in
                          >wait to be "woken up" by traffic. Or to put it another
                          way,
                          >if you don't see "traffic" there IS no
                          "infrastructure".

                          In Feb/March of this year I travelled from Alberta to British Columbia in areas where there were no digipeaters for hours at a time.   I was using my Kenwood D710 at the time and listening to the APRS audio.

                          The definition of loneliness for an APRS mobile operator is not hearing yourself being digipeated.  <smile>

                          Some of those areas I drove through particularly in East Central Alberta now have digi's.    

                          Tony
                        • Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke
                          ... There is no list that will suggest any kind of coverage. I think the answers the OP received from everyone pointed that out. ... It will for my purposes.
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 5, 2012
                          • 0 Attachment
                            James Ewen wrote:

                            > The original question was asking for a list of digipeaters, and the
                            > coverage in the areas in question.

                            There is no "list" that will suggest any kind of coverage.
                            I think the answers the OP received from everyone pointed
                            that out.



                            > The information displayed at aprs.fi will not always provide the
                            > information that you say it will.

                            It will for my purposes. And I suggest it will for the purpose
                            the OP was asking. "Is there coverage in some area?" aprs.fi will
                            answer that clearly, every time. If there's any "hidden stations"
                            they're not configured appropriately and therefore are of no
                            use to the question "Is there coverage?". If I want to know about
                            coverage, I don't care about subsequent packets. I only care if
                            it's hitting a digi and/or gate.

                            Bottom line - "Is there coverage?", look on aprs.fi and you'll know.


                            Lumpy

                            You played on "The Love Boat"?
                            Yes. White tux, huge sideburns.

                            www.LumpyMusic.com
                          • James Ewen
                            On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Craig Lumpy Lemke ... That would be an inaccurate statement... Look for any APRS activity that you can find near Otter Lake,
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 5, 2012
                            • 0 Attachment
                              On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke
                              <lumpy@...> wrote:

                              >> The information displayed at aprs.fi will not always provide the
                              >> information that you say it will.
                              >
                              > It will for my purposes. And I suggest it will for the purpose
                              > the OP was asking. "Is there coverage in some area?" aprs.fi will
                              > answer that clearly, every time. If there's any "hidden stations"
                              > they're not configured appropriately and therefore are of no
                              > use to the question "Is there coverage?". If I want to know about
                              > coverage, I don't care about subsequent packets. I only care if
                              > it's hitting a digi and/or gate.
                              >
                              > Bottom line - "Is there coverage?", look on aprs.fi and you'll know.

                              That would be an inaccurate statement...

                              Look for any APRS activity that you can find near Otter Lake, Alberta.
                              I was up there a month ago, and had my Kenwood D710 operating as a
                              digipeater. I had my D72 sending packets, and being digipeated by the
                              D710. Show me that you can find a record of that operation.

                              You will not be able to as there is no other APRS infrastructure in
                              place in the area. No digipeaters, no i-gates, no users. Looking at
                              aprs.fi will not show that there was coverage in that area.

                              You seem to want to ignore the salient point of this whole
                              discussion... the APRS-IS stream is but a fraction of the available
                              data. Only that which makes it to an i-gate and is the first packet
                              handled is ever seen on the APRS-IS stream.

                              That which is available on the APRS-IS stream has indeed been heard by
                              an i-gate, and possibly a digipeater or digipeaters enroute to that
                              i-gate, but in no way can it be seen as the complete and whole image
                              of what is actually available on RF.

                              If all you care about is being seen via aprs.fi, then your statements
                              are accurate. If you can see someone else on aprs.fi in the area in
                              question, then you have a chance of being seen on aprs.fi from that
                              area as well.

                              --
                              James
                              VE6SRV
                            • Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke
                              ... OK. Sir. You win. There are apparently thousands of stations digipeating other stations in the area in which you operate and they don t show up on the web
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 6, 2012
                              • 0 Attachment
                                James Ewen wrote:


                                > That would be an inaccurate statement...

                                OK. Sir. You win.
                                There are apparently thousands of stations digipeating
                                other stations in the area in which you operate and
                                they don't show up on the web feeds.


                                Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

                                www.n0eq.com
                              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.