Re: looking for a comprehensive list of aprs digipeaters (us based on 144.390)

  • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 3, 2012
      (Copying reply from Tracker2 to other interested groups as it's been a while since anyone has asked)

      Check out my APRS coverage maps at:

      http://tinyurl.com/APRSAct24 (Daily)
      http://tinyurl.com/APRSAct00 (Multi-Day Composite)

      http://tinyurl.com/8efcdy6 is from 9/30 (I see I need to restart my batch job for October).  The smaller green dots are digipeaters and the larger green dots are IGates.  Red dots mark where "movers" (other stations) have been seen.

      There's also a breakdown by NE, SE, NW, SW for the USA with 3 views for each in the daily plots.
      (0) shows packet connections between all stations with Digipeaters and IGates labeled
      (2) shows packet connections only between the Infrastructure components (Digipeaters and IGates)
      (4) shows just the dots with none of the lines

      There are also closer zooms on areas that folks have requested.  The composite graphs don't dig as deeply.

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - APRS Infrastructure Visualization

      On 10/3/2012 12:21 AM, Eric Fort wrote:
      Anyone know where or have a link to where I might find a listing or directory of APRS digipeaters across the us with at least lat/lon for location if not coverage maps?  I'm especially interested in aprs coverage in West Virginia around the towns of Green Bank and Sugar Grove and how far out of town one needs to get in these areas to regain aprs coverage.

      AF6EP

    • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 3, 2012
        James runs my APRSISCE/32 client which includes the ability to display PHG circles if information is received as well as the ability to filter a view to just the Digipeaters and/or IGates where the definition of those two terms is based on observed station behavior, not what they may or may not claim to be in their symbols or comments.

        You can read about it and download your free copy from:

        http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/

        http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/downloads

        There's also a more advanced (read: confusing) feature that will let you monitor actual packet paths as they hop from the originating station, through multiple digipeaters, and land at IGates.  If you have an RF interface (APRS radio, TNC, or sound-card modem) enabled, you'll have the added benefit of seeing ALL of the packets you receive via RF without the APRS-IS duplicate suppression.

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ -Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

        PS.  It interfaces quite well to the Tracker2 family TNCs.  Just put the TNC port into KISS mode (A/BMODE KISS) and use a Simply(KISS) port type in APRSISCE/32.  Avoid the plain KISS-type port because that may drop the TNC out of KISS mode when the client is terminated or the port is disabled.

        On 10/3/2012 4:51 AM, Gervais Fillion wrote:
        Hi James
        "Here's a look at digipeaters with PHG circles in the area in question" :James how did you make this map?

        i would like to have one around my qth,maybe 150 km around me so i would see theorically the coverage of different digi around me.

        Check for my Igate is VA2DQ in Eastern Quebec.

        your map is great

        73

        gervais ve2ckn

        To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
        From: ve6srv@...
        Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 22:42:50 -0600
        Subject: Re: [tracker2] looking for a comprehensive list of aprs digipeaters (us based on 144.390)

        On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 10:21 PM, Eric Fort <eric.fort@...> wrote:

        > Anyone know where or have a link to where I might find a listing or
        > directory of APRS digipeaters across the us with at least lat/lon for
        > location if not coverage maps?

        Yup, try using APRS to view the APRS digipeaters... what good would a list of digipeaters be when you can have a map?

        aprs.fi will show you the digipeaters. Go to the site, and then look on the right side of the display. There are icons along the upper right edge. The one under the star is a funnel. Select that, and then uncheck All Stations, and put a check mark beside Digipeaters.

        You should now have a display of all the digipeaters on the map with all the other stations hidden. You can't zoom far out though. Once you get far enough out, you'll just get the coloured squares showing activity levels.

        You can also use an APRS client to observe the same information on your local machine. APRSISCE/32 will allow you to observe the full APRS-IS feed, or a subset of it as desired. You can then filter the display to only show digipeaters.

        In both instances, if the digipeaters are configured properly (they have accurate PHG information), you can turn on the PHG circle display and get a rough estimate of the coverage area of these digipeaters.

        > I'm especially interested in aprs coverage
        > in West Virginia around the towns of Green Bank and Sugar Grove and how far
        > out of town one needs to get in these areas to regain aprs coverage.

        APRS is intended to show you this type of information, IF the people operating the network follow the recommended configuration instructions.

        Here's a look at digipeaters with PHG circles in the area in question... hopefully it doesn't get stripped out of the message.

        Inline image 1

        Some people get a little optimistic with their height above average terrain and show extremely large coverage areas.

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2012

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 3, 2012
            That's what I get for not looking closely at the map!  Yes, that map came from aprs.fi.  Here's the APRSISCE/32 view of the same area.  Not nearly so colorful...

            And that's with 1/2 size range circles representing the range within which the digi/IGate should be heard by a mobile.  The circle is double that radius for the area that the digi/IGate is likely to hear packets from another station.

            PS.  Note that the gray circle around the center of the screen is for scale based on the number in the lower left corner.  So the RADIUS of the center circle is 93.2 miles.

            To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
            From: ve6srv@...
            Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 22:42:50 -0600
            Subject: Re: [tracker2] looking for a comprehensive list of aprs
            digipeaters (us based on 144.390)

            aprs.fi will show you the digipeaters. Go to the site, and then look on
            the right side of the display. There are icons along the upper right edge.
            The one under the star is a funnel. Select that, and then uncheck All
            Stations, and put a check mark beside Digipeaters.

            You should now have a display of all the digipeaters on the map with all
            the other stations hidden. You can't zoom far out though. Once you get far
            enough out, you'll just get the coloured squares showing activity levels.

            In both instances, if the digipeaters are configured properly (they have
            accurate PHG information), you can turn on the PHG circle display and get a
            rough estimate of the coverage area of these digipeaters.

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)