No position data sent on T2-135

  • wilson.darcy@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2012
      Installed the T2-135 in the Alinco DR-135 with the Garmin 18x LVC through the 3.5mm front jack. The tracker is sending correct APRS beacons when NO GPS position is required.

      When I uncheck this box like you would for normal tracker operation I get the "crossover" sound through the radio speaker which makes me believe GPS sentences are being received but NOT sent from the tracker. Any troubleshooting ideas?
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2012
        On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 9:56 PM, wilson.darcy@...
        <wilson.dd@...> wrote:

        > When I uncheck this box like you would for normal tracker operation
        > I get the "crossover" sound through the radio speaker which makes
        > me believe GPS sentences are being received but NOT sent from the
        > tracker. Any troubleshooting ideas?

        Take the unit outside where the GPS can resolve a location...

        The "crossover" sound you are hearing may just be empty NMEA strings.
        If the GPS doesn't have a lock, it will still send NMEA sentences but
        they won't have any location information in them. No info, no position
        packets...

      • wilson.darcy@rocketmail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2012
          No, I assume there is a problem somewhere. I have just tried another Garmin with a standard DB9 on the rear connector with the same result. I'm definitely within sight of the sat.

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 4, 2012
            OK, so new information...

            I have tried 2 different Garmin 18x LVC, 1 using the 3.5mm stereo plug, and the other using the DB9 rear. Neither sent locations when powered.

            I then connected a gps simulator to the DB9 from the computer, and had a correct location sentence sent.

            This leaves me wondering if maybe the Garmin wire colors I have are WRONG.

            I am using:

            White (Data out) - TIP
            Red (V+) - Ring
            Black (Ground 3 black wires) - Sleeve