Re: [tracker2] Port b waypoint output

  • Mike Fenske
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14, 2007
      On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 09:03:24 -0500
      Jason Winningham <jdw@...> wrote:

      > On Mar 14, 2007, at 8:56 AM, Mike Fenske wrote:
      >
      > > Just have to remember to add my call to AUTHLIST so I can change
      > > the config byte (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracker2/message/1262)
      >
      > Since you're planning ahead (unlike my method :) just change the
      > config byte _before_ you start hacking on the hardware.
      >
      > > Or, maybe just use the MAX232 for port-b and keep the FET for port A.
      >
      > You've got to cut a trace and do some other fun stuff to get it on
      > port A, but it isn't all that bad a job (I just hesitate to cut traces).
      >
      > The MAX232 has enough transceivers to handle both ports with one IC.
      > I haven't bothered to add port B, since I've been too lazy to hack up
      > my enclosure to make room for another DB9. I could add a 2.5mm
      > stereo jack and make it "Kenwood compatible", but I don't really like
      > friction fit connectors so I haven't gone that route yet.
      >
      > good luck!
      >
      > -Jason
      > kg4wsv

      What I am doing for port b is to use a 6-pin mini-din connector. I bought a PC mount type and super-glued it behind the hole that is between the serial connector & the power connector. Fits perfectly, just have to run some wires from the connector to the MAX232. I thought about a 2.5mm jack, but I wanted 4 wires for the GPS (data in, data out, gnd and power) Could get by with 3, but am always changing batteries in GPS & would like waypoint output.

      Good idea about changing the config bye first! I was going to mount the MAX232 in the vacant spot where U3 (high side switch) goes & wire it up dead-bug. Kind of ugly, but should work. I think I'll use the MAX232 for port-a as well. With my Palm, I sometimes have a hard time getting command prompt (have to hit enter many, many times).

      I'll post some pictures whan I get it done.

      Mike
      VE7MKF