Re: OT3m misconfig and will not reset

  • Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 17, 2012
      Sounds like there's quite a few config-ware problems
      with the OT3's. I'm hoping it gets resolved at the
      lab level before mine ships.

      Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

      www.n0eq.com
    • sa6bje
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 16, 2012
        My OT3m now does the same thing.

        On USB I get the terminal prints all incoming packets in clear text.
        Anything I type gets transmitted over radio and echos in the terminal.
        Ctrl-c gives cmd: but still anything I type gets transmotter over radio.
        When connecting with otwincfg.exe the unit transmits over radio, it does not connect correctly and does not open the settings.

        Serial A gets funny chars on bootup.
        Anything I type here gets echoed out on the USB terminal and is also transmitted over radio.
        When connecting with otwincfg.exe the unit transmits over radio, it does not connect correctly and does not open the settings.

        Serial B get nothing on bootup
        Typing to this port does NOT echo on usb terminal or transmit.
        When connecting with otwincfg.exe the unit transmits over radio, it does not connect correctly and does not open the settings.

        73 SA6BJE/Erik
      • Marcel S
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 17, 2012
          I just had almost the same issue on my T3-301 (same brains as the ot3m)(see other thread on that). It seems as though the tracker has issues connecting nicely to otwincfg if you keep the COM ports busy through either scripting (as I did) or weather station data etc.

          I was able to get access again via the USB port with some dumb luck on a different computer. I would recommend just trying a new computer (be sure to use the newest INF file <http://www.argentdata.com/files/ArgentUSB.zip>on argent's site for the driver) just to see if that will help. It might have had something to do with power cycling as well for the reconnect. So try powering through the DC jack with 12 volts and then plugging in the USB or variants thereof.

          Scott is aware of the issues and is looking into solutions. In the
          meantime, we the users need to tread carefully when we swamp the COM ports and keep the processor so excited with printing things that it doesn't want to listen to us anymore.

          Cheers,

          -Marcel AI6MS

          On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 10:42 AM, sa6bje <erik@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > My OT3m now does the same thing.
          >
          > On USB I get the terminal prints all incoming packets in clear text.
          > Anything I type gets transmitted over radio and echos in the terminal.
          > Ctrl-c gives cmd: but still anything I type gets transmotter over radio.
          > When connecting with otwincfg.exe the unit transmits over radio, it does
          > not connect correctly and does not open the settings.
          >
          > Serial A gets funny chars on bootup.
          > Anything I type here gets echoed out on the USB terminal and is also
          > transmitted over radio.
          > When connecting with otwincfg.exe the unit transmits over radio, it does
          > not connect correctly and does not open the settings.
          >
          > Serial B get nothing on bootup
          > Typing to this port does NOT echo on usb terminal or transmit.
          > When connecting with otwincfg.exe the unit transmits over radio, it does
          > not connect correctly and does not open the settings.
          >
          > 73 SA6BJE/Erik
        • sa6bje
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
            Any update on the issue?

            I tested all tips below but it did not help me.

            73 Erik

            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Marcel S <ki6qdj@...> wrote:

            > I just had almost the same issue on my T3-301 (same brains as the ot3m)(see other thread on that). It seems as though the tracker has issues connecting nicely to otwincfg if you keep the COM ports busy through either scripting (as I did) or weather station data etc.
            >
            > I was able to get access again via the USB port with some dumb luck on a different computer. I would recommend just trying a new computer (be sure to use the newest INF file <http://www.argentdata.com/files/ArgentUSB.zip>on argent's site for the driver) just to see if that will help. It might have had something to do with power cycling as well for the reconnect. So try powering through the DC jack with 12 volts and then plugging in the USB or variants thereof.
            >
            > Scott is aware of the issues and is looking into solutions. In the
            > meantime, we the users need to tread carefully when we swamp the COM ports and keep the processor so excited with printing things that it doesn't want to listen to us anymore.
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > -Marcel AI6MS
          • th14539
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 8, 2012
              I had same issue with OT3m but I set port A to text on purpose to use with a weather station, only way I found to recover it was to use a standard serial connection, not the USB, and when OTWIN says to reset tracker I power cycle it twice and then it will connect. Have to use the serial connection because there is no way to cycle power w/ USB since it is supplying the power to the tracker. Hope that gets corrected sometime but hope that helps.
              73

              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 10, 2012
                If it's *very* busy with serial port output, then yes, I could see that
                being an issue - it blocks while it's doing a port print from scripting
                and it might miss the reset commands from the PC over the serial port.
                It *should* still work through USB. Are you running KISS over USB? It
                seems to have more trouble getting out of KISS mode - that's something
                I've been meaning to investigate.

                Scott

                On 12/7/2012 2:17 PM, sa6bje wrote:
                > Any update on the issue?
                >
                > I tested all tips below but it did not help me.
                >
                > 73 Erik

                > Marcel S <ki6qdj@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I just had almost the same issue on my T3-301 (same brains as the
                > ot3m)(see other thread on that). It seems as though the tracker has
                > issues connecting nicely to otwincfg if you keep the COM ports busy
                > through either scripting (as I did) or weather station data etc.
                > >
                > > I was able to get access again via the USB port with some dumb luck
                > on a different computer. I would recommend just trying a new computer
                > (be sure to use the newest INF file
                > <http://www.argentdata.com/files/ArgentUSB.zip>on argent's site for the
                > driver) just to see if that will help. It might have had something to do
                > with power cycling as well for the reconnect. So try powering through
                > the DC jack with 12 volts and then plugging in the USB or variants thereof.
                > >
                > > Scott is aware of the issues and is looking into solutions. In the
                > > meantime, we the users need to tread carefully when we swamp the COM
                > ports and keep the processor so excited with printing things that it
                > doesn't want to listen to us anymore.
                > >
                > > Cheers,
                > >
                > > -Marcel AI6MS

              • sa6bje
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 11, 2012
                  Hi,
                  I did have text mode on the serial port A but I dont think I had it on USB Kiss. Strange as it just tried to send anything coming in to USB out the radio. It did not seem busy as the light were only blinking when I wrote something to any of the serial ports thru console or the config program.

                  Anyway as you all talked about the box beeing busy I did some more testing trying to make it busy. I never give up!

                  I took a usb cable and cut the 5V cord powering the box from external power only to make it easier to control power up.
                  Then I first tested to flood port A with serial data from a small LabView program and connecting thru usb from the config program.
                  This did not work. So I tried the other way around.
                  Starting the config program on serial A trying to connect and then as I powered up fired my LabView program to flood the USB. Then the config window popped up!!!

                  Scott, I hope you find the bugs so they can be fixed in the future but for now I am up and running hopefully helping others with the same problem. Thanks.

                  73 Erik

                  > If it's *very* busy with serial port output, then yes, I could see that
                  > being an issue - it blocks while it's doing a port print from scripting
                  > and it might miss the reset commands from the PC over the serial port.
                  > It *should* still work through USB. Are you running KISS over USB? It
                  > seems to have more trouble getting out of KISS mode - that's something
                  > I've been meaning to investigate.
                  >
                  > Scott
                  >
                  > On 12/7/2012 2:17 PM, sa6bje wrote:
                  > > Any update on the issue?
                  > >
                  > > I tested all tips below but it did not help me.
                  > >
                  > > 73 Erik

                  > > Marcel S <ki6qdj@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I just had almost the same issue on my T3-301 (same brains as the
                  > > ot3m)(see other thread on that). It seems as though the tracker has
                  > > issues connecting nicely to otwincfg if you keep the COM ports busy
                  > > through either scripting (as I did) or weather station data etc.
                  > > >
                  > > > I was able to get access again via the USB port with some dumb luck
                  > > on a different computer. I would recommend just trying a new computer
                  > > (be sure to use the newest INF file
                  > > <http://www.argentdata.com/files/ArgentUSB.zip>on argent's site for the
                  > > driver) just to see if that will help. It might have had something to do
                  > > with power cycling as well for the reconnect. So try powering through
                  > > the DC jack with 12 volts and then plugging in the USB or variants thereof.
                  > > >
                  > > > Scott is aware of the issues and is looking into solutions. In the
                  > > > meantime, we the users need to tread carefully when we swamp the COM
                  > > ports and keep the processor so excited with printing things that it
                  > > doesn't want to listen to us anymore.
                  > > >
                  > > > Cheers,
                  > > >
                  > > > -Marcel AI6MS

                • n9tkf
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 23, 2013
                    I have a similar problem connecting to the OT3 USB when Port A is set to TEXT. I have to use the serial port as the OT3 USB will not connect via the USB on the OT3 USB. Firmware is 56348. Today I upgraded to the latest firmware 4-13-2013(didn't catch the firmware number) and same thing, no connectivity via USB when Port A is set to TEXT. I re-loaded Firmware 56348 back up as the new firmware was causing some issues with my text interface from an Arduino UNO board.

                    Some background of how I am using the TEXT mode to send telemetry out of the OT3 USB. I generate the telemetry from an Arduino UNO that has two digital temperature  sensors connected to it. I  then send an APRS formatted telemetry packet in plain text out of the Arduino to the OT3 USB to port A followed by a CR/LF and the OT3 USB encodes the plain text and sends out the packet. This works great except I have never been able to get Port B to work in TEXT mode not sure why. I am looking into adding a weather station to port B but want to make sure it is functioning properly first.

                    73 John
                  • wt9m
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 24, 2013
                      John,
                      Would you be willing to share your Arduino sketch for taking in the telemetry and sending it out to OT3 ?
                      Thanks,
                      Larry WT9M
                    • John Kettinger
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 25, 2013
                      Sure. Disclaimer: I am not a programmer and the code could be cleaned up a little, but here is what I am using.

                      Also here is a link to Aprs.fi for the telemetry:  http://aprs.fi/telemetry/a/N9TKF-4

                      73 John
                      N9TKF
                    • JORGE A
                      Message 11 of 24 , Dec 26, 2013
                        I know it's not exactly the theme of the group. but I have a ot3m with alinco dr-135 ...

                        I am looking for some free software for programming alinco dr-135.
                        Does anyone have or know of any?

                        regards
                      • qrv@kd4e.com
                        Message 12 of 24 , Dec 26, 2013
                          Jorge,

                          Once your DR-135 is set to 144.390 simplex what other
                          programming is necessary for APRS?

                          David

                          --

                          A blessed Christ-mas to you and yours! KD4E.com

                          David (never Dave) Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

                          Safe & Secure Search Engine: duckduckgo.com

                        • Teddy Banks
                          Message 13 of 24 , Dec 26, 2013
                            Might Try this one.
                            http://www.hampedia.net/alinco/dr135mk2.php

                            On 12/26/2013 12:29 PM, JORGE A wrote:

                            I know it's not exactly the theme of the group. but I have a ot3m with alinco dr-135 ...

                            I am looking for some free software for programming alinco dr-135.
                            Does anyone have or know of any?

                            regards

                            --
                             Amateur radio operators KCØWNY & KDØACN Teddy and Kay Banks
                            Message 14 of 24 , Dec 28, 2013
                              Not sure why port B is a problem, but for Arduino use I've got something else in the works - the Radio Shield 2 is using a variant of the OTUSB firmware and I've added a port mode that implements a serial API for access to various tracker functions.  Eventually the Arduino library will get updated and you'll be able to offload some functions to the tracker easily, and get stuff like parsed incoming packets.

                              Scott