Digipeater setup of T2 Question for James

  • Dave Miller
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 17, 2012
      James,
      Recently you were commenting of digipeater setting in North Western BC and your unhappiness with the settings.

      I just returned from the area and have in my possession an unit that is going to be put up to extend the chain to the west.

      I had to repair some cabling that got involved with Murphy. :-)
      I think the settings need to be adjusted. Here is our chance.

      From what I know I believe the path setting should be
      WIDE2-2?
      Is this correct, Anything else I should adjust.
      I cannot go to the site and listen around as I am not now.

      Come offline if you want.

      Thanks
      Dave
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 17, 2012
        On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Dave Miller <ve7pke@...> wrote:

        > Recently you were commenting of digipeater setting in North Western
        > BC and your unhappiness with the settings.

        Unhappiness with the settings? Nope, not so much unhappiness. I have
        had less than pleasant communications with some people up in the
        northeast of the province though.

        There are issues where the digipeaters installed in the area have been
        configured incorrectly, and digipeaters that were causing excessive
        loads for great distances. I have turned a blind eye towards the area
        for many years as it is not worth the time to examine and analyse the
        network and the misconfigurations involved if there is no hope of
        affecting change.

        It is impossible to fully analyse the network remotely, so it is
        difficult to know exactly what is happening up that way without being
        there, but it is possible to observe a number of issues remotely.

        > I just returned from the area and have in my possession an
        > unit that is going to be put up to extend the chain to the west.
        >
        > I had to repair some cabling that got involved with Murphy. :-)
        > I think the settings need to be adjusted. Here is our chance.

        This is a great piece of information... where will the digipeater be located?

        > From what I know I believe the path setting should be
        > WIDE2-2?

        That is the generally accepted default path for a mobile station.
        Digipeaters should use one hop less than the users. There are however
        always exceptions to the rule.

        > Is this correct, Anything else I should adjust.
        > I cannot go to the site and listen around as I am not now.
        >
        > Come offline if you want.

        This will get far outside the realm of the OT2, so I'll get ahold of
        you via direct email.