Port b waypoint output

  • Mike Fenske
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14, 2007
      I have installed a 6-pin mini-din connector that I am going to wire up to serial port b to connect the GPS to. Will the Tracker2 output waypoints from received data on port b or just port a?

      My plan is to use port-A for my Palm and port b for GPS.

      Thanks,
      Mike Fenske
      VE7MKF
    • 'Scott Miller'
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 14, 2007
        It'll output waypoints on both.  I've still got some testing to do on some of the dual-port featuers, but it should work.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 14, 2007
          Great! Since I have a proto-b, I guess I'll have to install a MAX232 like Jason did here:

          Or, maybe just use the MAX232 for port-b and keep the FET for port A.

          Thanks again!
          Mike
          VE7MKF

          At 06:48 AM 14/03/2007 -0700, you wrote:
          >I've still got some testing to do on some of the dual-port
          >featuers, but it should work. Scott

        • Jason Winningham
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 14, 2007
            On Mar 14, 2007, at 8:56 AM, Mike Fenske wrote:

            > Just have to remember to add my call to AUTHLIST so I can change
            > the config byte (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracker2/message/1262)

            Since you're planning ahead (unlike my method :) just change the
            config byte _before_ you start hacking on the hardware.

            > Or, maybe just use the MAX232 for port-b and keep the FET for port A.

            You've got to cut a trace and do some other fun stuff to get it on
            port A, but it isn't all that bad a job (I just hesitate to cut traces).

            The MAX232 has enough transceivers to handle both ports with one IC.
            I haven't bothered to add port B, since I've been too lazy to hack up
            my enclosure to make room for another DB9. I could add a 2.5mm
            stereo jack and make it "Kenwood compatible", but I don't really like
            friction fit connectors so I haven't gone that route yet.

            good luck!

            -Jason
            kg4wsv
          • Mike Fenske
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 14, 2007
              On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 09:03:24 -0500
              Jason Winningham <jdw@...> wrote:

              > On Mar 14, 2007, at 8:56 AM, Mike Fenske wrote:
              >
              > > Just have to remember to add my call to AUTHLIST so I can change
              > > the config byte (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracker2/message/1262)
              >
              > Since you're planning ahead (unlike my method :) just change the
              > config byte _before_ you start hacking on the hardware.
              >
              > > Or, maybe just use the MAX232 for port-b and keep the FET for port A.
              >
              > You've got to cut a trace and do some other fun stuff to get it on
              > port A, but it isn't all that bad a job (I just hesitate to cut traces).
              >
              > The MAX232 has enough transceivers to handle both ports with one IC.
              > I haven't bothered to add port B, since I've been too lazy to hack up
              > my enclosure to make room for another DB9. I could add a 2.5mm
              > stereo jack and make it "Kenwood compatible", but I don't really like
              > friction fit connectors so I haven't gone that route yet.
              >
              > good luck!
              >
              > -Jason
              > kg4wsv

              What I am doing for port b is to use a 6-pin mini-din connector. I bought a PC mount type and super-glued it behind the hole that is between the serial connector & the power connector. Fits perfectly, just have to run some wires from the connector to the MAX232. I thought about a 2.5mm jack, but I wanted 4 wires for the GPS (data in, data out, gnd and power) Could get by with 3, but am always changing batteries in GPS & would like waypoint output.

              Good idea about changing the config bye first! I was going to mount the MAX232 in the vacant spot where U3 (high side switch) goes & wire it up dead-bug. Kind of ugly, but should work. I think I'll use the MAX232 for port-a as well. With my Palm, I sometimes have a hard time getting command prompt (have to hit enter many, many times).

              I'll post some pictures whan I get it done.

              Mike
              VE7MKF