T3-135: USB not working

  • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 5, 2012
      Dear all,

      I just plug in my new T3-135 into a new Alinco DR-135 radio, but found out that the USB port is not active (no "bu-bip" sound when USB cable is plugged in, and no Serial port under Device Manager showed up).

      The board works fine thru the regular serial port via the backside DE-9 connector (configuring as a digi, and firmware updating).

      Is there a switch, on otwinconfig, to enable the USB port?
      Any low-level method to check the USB port?

      73 de Paulus - N5SNN / YD0NXX
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6, 2012
        > Is there a switch, on otwinconfig, to enable the USB port?
        > Any low-level method to check the USB port?

        Nope, it should just work. I'd look closely at the pins on the board
        side of the USB port. They're all tested before they ship, but
        sometimes the solder doesn't flow well under the pins and there's a
        possibility it had a bad joint and cracked when it was plugged in.

        You do need to make sure the radio is in data mode, too - otherwise the
        board won't be powered up.

        Scott
      • Suryono Adisoemarta
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 6, 2012
          Scott,

          The board is active as it is working as a digi (configured thru the DE9 port).

          I'll double check the solder joints under the USB port.
          Can I have the schematic of T3-135? So I can check continuity end-to-end.

          Thanks, Paulus

          Sent from my iPhone4

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 8, 2012
          Here you go.

          Scott

          On 9/6/2012 7:44 PM, Suryono Adisoemarta wrote:
          > Scott,
          >
          > The board is active as it is working as a digi (configured thru the DE9
          > port).
          >
          > I'll double check the solder joints under the USB port.
          > Can I have the schematic of T3-135? So I can check continuity end-to-end.
          >
          > Thanks, Paulus
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone4
          >
          > On Sep 7, 2012, at 12:25 AM, Scott Miller <scott@...
          > <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>> wrote:
          >
          > >> Is there a switch, on otwinconfig, to enable the USB port?
          > >> Any low-level method to check the USB port?
          > >
          > > Nope, it should just work. I'd look closely at the pins on the board
          > > side of the USB port. They're all tested before they ship, but
          > > sometimes the solder doesn't flow well under the pins and there's a
          > > possibility it had a bad joint and cracked when it was plugged in.
          > >
          > > You do need to make sure the radio is in data mode, too - otherwise the
          > > board won't be powered up.

        • Suryono Adisoemarta
          Message 5 of 8 , Sep 8, 2012
          • 1 Attachment
          • 143 KB
          Thanks Scott,
          Very timely as I just put the USB port on the scope.
          The waveform has 4vpp, I believe this is too high (should be 800 mV p-p):
          Message 6 of 8 , Sep 8, 2012
            Where are you measuring?

            The only components involved in USB support are the USB connector and
            two 33 ohm resistors. If those are all soldered properly (and the USB
            connector is the most likely failure point) it should work.

            Scott

            On 9/8/2012 8:46 PM, Suryono Adisoemarta wrote:
            > [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from Suryono Adisoemarta included below]
            >
            > Thanks Scott,
            > Very timely as I just put the USB port on the scope.
            > The waveform has 4vpp, I believe this is too high (should be 800 mV p-p):
            >

            > de Paulus
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone4
            >
            > On Sep 9, 2012, at 10:38 AM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Here you go.
            >>
            >> Scott
            >>
            >> On 9/6/2012 7:44 PM, Suryono Adisoemarta wrote:
            >>> Scott,
            >>>
            >>> The board is active as it is working as a digi (configured thru the DE9
            >>> port).
            >>>
            >>> I'll double check the solder joints under the USB port.
            >>> Can I have the schematic of T3-135? So I can check continuity end-to-end.
            >>>
            >>> Thanks, Paulus
            >>>
            >>> Sent from my iPhone4

          • Suryono Adisoemarta
            Message 7 of 8 , Sep 8, 2012
              At the USB port.

              I plug a USB cable to the Mini USB port on the board, and the scope is wired to the D+ and D- terminal at the end of the cable (I cut the USB cable to get a stable location to clip the scope probe).

              I also did a single-ended hookup, got 4.8v on one of the wire, the other is constant 500mV

              Paulus

              Sent from my iPhone4

              On Sep 9, 2012, at 10:56 AM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

              > Where are you measuring?
              >
              > The only components involved in USB support are the USB connector and
              > two 33 ohm resistors. If those are all soldered properly (and the USB
              > connector is the most likely failure point) it should work.
              >
              > Scott
              >
              > On 9/8/2012 8:46 PM, Suryono Adisoemarta wrote:
              >> [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from Suryono Adisoemarta included below]
              >>
              >> Thanks Scott,
              >> Very timely as I just put the USB port on the scope.
              >> The waveform has 4vpp, I believe this is too high (should be 800 mV p-p):
              >>

              >> de Paulus
              >>
              >> Sent from my iPhone4
              >>
              >> On Sep 9, 2012, at 10:38 AM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
              >>
              >>> Here you go.
              >>>
              >>> Scott

            • Suryono Adisoemarta
              Message 8 of 8 , Sep 8, 2012
              • 1 Attachment
              • 440 KB
              Here is the picture how I measure the USB port: