Re: [tracker2] Anyone know when Scott will be back?

    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 5 3:42 PM
      > I need to know if the OT3m can handle the input directly
      > or if it has to be processed via Xastir or some other app?

      Possibly, I haven't tried that model myself. The T3 can talk to a
      Vantage Pro 2 directly, and if it's the same protocol it should work.

      Scott
    • qrv@kd4e.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 5 4:01 PM
        Scott,

        The VP2 uses a USB connection - I need to know how to
        connect to your Serial port.

        Do the pins and settings look similar to a Serial Davis
        connection that does work with an OT3m?

        2 TX
        3 RX
        5 GND
        7-8 jumpered

        Com Settings: 19,200, 8-N-1, no flow
        Says "TEST" should echo.
        Says "VER" should respond firmware version and date.
        Says "LOOP" should generate gibberish and be stopped by Enter.

        > Possibly, I haven't tried that model myself. The T3 can talk to a
        > Vantage Pro 2 directly, and if it's the same protocol it should work.

        Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
        David Colburn nevils-station.com
        I don't google I SEARCH! duckduckgo.com
      • Teddy Banks
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 5 4:33 PM
          It's like my Dear Departed Grandma used to say, it takes all kinds of
          people to make a world and we have them. :-)
          On 9/5/2012 5:41 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
          > On 9/3/2012 7:15 AM, qrv@... wrote:
          >> I visited and read the BurningMan page and came away confused as
          >> to the philosophy in back of this event.
          > The 10 principles will tell you a little, but it's hard to explain if
          > you haven't been there. Different people get very different things out
          > of it. It's an excellent APRS and emcom testing ground, and I had some
          > technical projects going out there, but mostly I spent a week hanging
          > out with scientists, engineers, IT people, and artists, building and
          > later burning a memorial for a lost friend, and serving free drinks at
          > the grimiest dive bar on the planet. Also made a fair amount of ice
          > cream, but ran out of vanilla before I used up all of my liquid nitrogen.
          >
          >> It seems an amusing hobby that, like others, may spawn some creative
          >> gadgets or systems to enhance the experience.
          > Absolutely. For relaxation purposes I like the fact that it's mostly
          > cut off from the outside world, but it's fun to build gadgets
          > specifically for the playa. I've got a GPS map on my bike that's only
          > usable out there, and I have to engrave a new acrylic panel for it each
          > time with that year's map.
          >
          > But now I have a 10-day backlog of email to answer...

          Ham Radio Operators KCØWNY-KDØACN Ted & Kay
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 5 6:43 PM
            If it's USB only, then no, it won't work. The tracker can't act as a
            USB host.

            Scott

          • qrv@kd4e.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 5 7:09 PM
              Scott,

              The Vantage Pro2, which you said worked, is listed as a USB-only device
              - perhaps they have changed it - or someone told
              you the wrong model at some point?

              The VantageVue, which I have, is Serial.

              David

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 5 8:49 PM
                The Vantage Pro II, can be a Serial or a USB, I have the Serial Version.
                On 9/5/2012 9:09 PM, qrv@... wrote:
                > Scott,
                >
                > The Vantage Pro2, which you said worked, is listed as a USB-only device
                > - perhaps they have changed it - or someone told
                > you the wrong model at some point?
                >
                > The VantageVue, which I have, is Serial.
                >
                > David
                >
                >> If it's USB only, then no, it won't work. The tracker can't act as a
                >> USB host.
                >>
                >> Scott
                >>
                >> On 9/5/2012 4:01 PM, qrv@... wrote:
                >>> Scott,
                >>>
                >>> The VP2 uses a USB connection - I need to know how to
                >>> connect to your Serial port.
                >>>
                >>> Do the pins and settings look similar to a Serial Davis
                >>> connection that does work with an OT3m?
                >>>
                >>> 2 TX
                >>> 3 RX
                >>> 5 GND