Re: [tracker2] Re: Anyone know when Scott will be back?

    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
      On 9/3/2012 7:15 AM, qrv@... wrote:
      > I visited and read the BurningMan page and came away confused as
      > to the philosophy in back of this event.

      The 10 principles will tell you a little, but it's hard to explain if
      you haven't been there. Different people get very different things out
      of it. It's an excellent APRS and emcom testing ground, and I had some
      technical projects going out there, but mostly I spent a week hanging
      out with scientists, engineers, IT people, and artists, building and
      later burning a memorial for a lost friend, and serving free drinks at
      the grimiest dive bar on the planet. Also made a fair amount of ice
      cream, but ran out of vanilla before I used up all of my liquid nitrogen.

      > It seems an amusing hobby that, like others, may spawn some creative
      > gadgets or systems to enhance the experience.

      Absolutely. For relaxation purposes I like the fact that it's mostly
      cut off from the outside world, but it's fun to build gadgets
      specifically for the playa. I've got a GPS map on my bike that's only
      usable out there, and I have to engrave a new acrylic panel for it each
      time with that year's map.

      But now I have a 10-day backlog of email to answer...

      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
        > I need to know if the OT3m can handle the input directly
        > or if it has to be processed via Xastir or some other app?

        Possibly, I haven't tried that model myself. The T3 can talk to a
        Vantage Pro 2 directly, and if it's the same protocol it should work.

        Scott
      • qrv@kd4e.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
          Scott,

          The VP2 uses a USB connection - I need to know how to
          connect to your Serial port.

          Do the pins and settings look similar to a Serial Davis
          connection that does work with an OT3m?

          2 TX
          3 RX
          5 GND
          7-8 jumpered

          Com Settings: 19,200, 8-N-1, no flow
          Says "TEST" should echo.
          Says "VER" should respond firmware version and date.
          Says "LOOP" should generate gibberish and be stopped by Enter.

          > Possibly, I haven't tried that model myself. The T3 can talk to a
          > Vantage Pro 2 directly, and if it's the same protocol it should work.

          Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
          David Colburn nevils-station.com
          I don't google I SEARCH! duckduckgo.com
        • Teddy Banks
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
            It's like my Dear Departed Grandma used to say, it takes all kinds of
            people to make a world and we have them. :-)
            On 9/5/2012 5:41 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
            > On 9/3/2012 7:15 AM, qrv@... wrote:
            >> I visited and read the BurningMan page and came away confused as
            >> to the philosophy in back of this event.
            > The 10 principles will tell you a little, but it's hard to explain if
            > you haven't been there. Different people get very different things out
            > of it. It's an excellent APRS and emcom testing ground, and I had some
            > technical projects going out there, but mostly I spent a week hanging
            > out with scientists, engineers, IT people, and artists, building and
            > later burning a memorial for a lost friend, and serving free drinks at
            > the grimiest dive bar on the planet. Also made a fair amount of ice
            > cream, but ran out of vanilla before I used up all of my liquid nitrogen.
            >
            >> It seems an amusing hobby that, like others, may spawn some creative
            >> gadgets or systems to enhance the experience.
            > Absolutely. For relaxation purposes I like the fact that it's mostly
            > cut off from the outside world, but it's fun to build gadgets
            > specifically for the playa. I've got a GPS map on my bike that's only
            > usable out there, and I have to engrave a new acrylic panel for it each
            > time with that year's map.
            >
            > But now I have a 10-day backlog of email to answer...

            Ham Radio Operators KCØWNY-KDØACN Ted & Kay
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
              If it's USB only, then no, it won't work. The tracker can't act as a
              USB host.

              Scott

            • qrv@kd4e.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
                Scott,

                The Vantage Pro2, which you said worked, is listed as a USB-only device
                - perhaps they have changed it - or someone told
                you the wrong model at some point?

                The VantageVue, which I have, is Serial.

                David

                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
                  The Vantage Pro II, can be a Serial or a USB, I have the Serial Version.
                  On 9/5/2012 9:09 PM, qrv@... wrote:
                  > Scott,
                  >
                  > The Vantage Pro2, which you said worked, is listed as a USB-only device
                  > - perhaps they have changed it - or someone told
                  > you the wrong model at some point?
                  >
                  > The VantageVue, which I have, is Serial.
                  >
                  > David
                  >
                  >> If it's USB only, then no, it won't work. The tracker can't act as a
                  >> USB host.
                  >>
                  >> Scott
                  >>
                  >> On 9/5/2012 4:01 PM, qrv@... wrote:
                  >>> Scott,
                  >>>
                  >>> The VP2 uses a USB connection - I need to know how to
                  >>> connect to your Serial port.
                  >>>
                  >>> Do the pins and settings look similar to a Serial Davis
                  >>> connection that does work with an OT3m?
                  >>>
                  >>> 2 TX
                  >>> 3 RX
                  >>> 5 GND