Re: [tracker2] Anyone know when Scott will be back?

  • qrv@kd4e.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
      Scott,

      Welcome back - trust that your BurningMan adventure was
      positive.

      Here's Message 601:

      I have a Davis Vantage Vue with a secondary market data
      adapter, the DSI-01 serial adapter.

      I need to know if the OT3m can handle the input directly
      or if it has to be processed via Xastir or some other app?

      Someone posted this pinout info:

      2 TX
      3 RX
      5 GND
      7-8 jumpered
      (Or 2 is RX, 3 is TX, I always have trouble with that. Try it each way.)

      ... and the adapter info sheet contained this settings info:

      Com Settings: 19,200, 8-N-1, no flow
      Says "TEST" should echo.
      Says "VER" should respond firmware version and date.
      Says "LOOP" should generate gibberish and be stopped by Enter.

      Thanks!

      David

      > Back now. Over 600 messages in my inbox, will be answering as I'm able.

      Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
      David Colburn nevils-station.com
      I don't google I SEARCH! duckduckgo.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
        > Just what the heck is that out in the middle of a sandy valley?

        Not sandy, dusty. So, so dusty. That's last year's iteration of Black
        Rock City that you see. My trailer is visible just east of 4:00 between
        Esplanade and A, to the right of the yellow shade structure at the end
        of the mid-block access road.

        > And just what the heck does one do there?

        Depends. What do you WANT to do there?

        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
          On 9/3/2012 7:15 AM, qrv@... wrote:
          > I visited and read the BurningMan page and came away confused as
          > to the philosophy in back of this event.

          The 10 principles will tell you a little, but it's hard to explain if
          you haven't been there. Different people get very different things out
          of it. It's an excellent APRS and emcom testing ground, and I had some
          technical projects going out there, but mostly I spent a week hanging
          out with scientists, engineers, IT people, and artists, building and
          later burning a memorial for a lost friend, and serving free drinks at
          the grimiest dive bar on the planet. Also made a fair amount of ice
          cream, but ran out of vanilla before I used up all of my liquid nitrogen.

          > It seems an amusing hobby that, like others, may spawn some creative
          > gadgets or systems to enhance the experience.

          Absolutely. For relaxation purposes I like the fact that it's mostly
          cut off from the outside world, but it's fun to build gadgets
          specifically for the playa. I've got a GPS map on my bike that's only
          usable out there, and I have to engrave a new acrylic panel for it each
          time with that year's map.

          But now I have a 10-day backlog of email to answer...

          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
            > I need to know if the OT3m can handle the input directly
            > or if it has to be processed via Xastir or some other app?

            Possibly, I haven't tried that model myself. The T3 can talk to a
            Vantage Pro 2 directly, and if it's the same protocol it should work.

            Scott
          • qrv@kd4e.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
              Scott,

              The VP2 uses a USB connection - I need to know how to
              connect to your Serial port.

              Do the pins and settings look similar to a Serial Davis
              connection that does work with an OT3m?

              2 TX
              3 RX
              5 GND
              7-8 jumpered

              Com Settings: 19,200, 8-N-1, no flow
              Says "TEST" should echo.
              Says "VER" should respond firmware version and date.
              Says "LOOP" should generate gibberish and be stopped by Enter.

              > Possibly, I haven't tried that model myself. The T3 can talk to a
              > Vantage Pro 2 directly, and if it's the same protocol it should work.

              Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
              David Colburn nevils-station.com
              I don't google I SEARCH! duckduckgo.com
            • Teddy Banks
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
                It's like my Dear Departed Grandma used to say, it takes all kinds of
                people to make a world and we have them. :-)
                On 9/5/2012 5:41 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
                > On 9/3/2012 7:15 AM, qrv@... wrote:
                >> I visited and read the BurningMan page and came away confused as
                >> to the philosophy in back of this event.
                > The 10 principles will tell you a little, but it's hard to explain if
                > you haven't been there. Different people get very different things out
                > of it. It's an excellent APRS and emcom testing ground, and I had some
                > technical projects going out there, but mostly I spent a week hanging
                > out with scientists, engineers, IT people, and artists, building and
                > later burning a memorial for a lost friend, and serving free drinks at
                > the grimiest dive bar on the planet. Also made a fair amount of ice
                > cream, but ran out of vanilla before I used up all of my liquid nitrogen.
                >
                >> It seems an amusing hobby that, like others, may spawn some creative
                >> gadgets or systems to enhance the experience.
                > Absolutely. For relaxation purposes I like the fact that it's mostly
                > cut off from the outside world, but it's fun to build gadgets
                > specifically for the playa. I've got a GPS map on my bike that's only
                > usable out there, and I have to engrave a new acrylic panel for it each
                > time with that year's map.
                >
                > But now I have a 10-day backlog of email to answer...

                Ham Radio Operators KCØWNY-KDØACN Ted & Kay
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
                  If it's USB only, then no, it won't work. The tracker can't act as a
                  USB host.

                  Scott

                • qrv@kd4e.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
                    Scott,

                    The Vantage Pro2, which you said worked, is listed as a USB-only device
                    - perhaps they have changed it - or someone told
                    you the wrong model at some point?

                    The VantageVue, which I have, is Serial.

                    David

                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
                      The Vantage Pro II, can be a Serial or a USB, I have the Serial Version.
                      On 9/5/2012 9:09 PM, qrv@... wrote:
                      > Scott,
                      >
                      > The Vantage Pro2, which you said worked, is listed as a USB-only device
                      > - perhaps they have changed it - or someone told
                      > you the wrong model at some point?
                      >
                      > The VantageVue, which I have, is Serial.
                      >
                      > David
                      >
                      >> If it's USB only, then no, it won't work. The tracker can't act as a
                      >> USB host.
                      >>
                      >> Scott
                      >>
                      >> On 9/5/2012 4:01 PM, qrv@... wrote:
                      >>> Scott,
                      >>>
                      >>> The VP2 uses a USB connection - I need to know how to
                      >>> connect to your Serial port.
                      >>>
                      >>> Do the pins and settings look similar to a Serial Davis
                      >>> connection that does work with an OT3m?
                      >>>
                      >>> 2 TX
                      >>> 3 RX
                      >>> 5 GND