Re: [tracker2] Anyone know when Scott will be back?

    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
      Back now. Over 600 messages in my inbox, will be answering as I'm able.

      Scott

    • qrv@kd4e.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
        Scott,

        Welcome back - trust that your BurningMan adventure was
        positive.

        Here's Message 601:

        I have a Davis Vantage Vue with a secondary market data
        adapter, the DSI-01 serial adapter.

        I need to know if the OT3m can handle the input directly
        or if it has to be processed via Xastir or some other app?

        Someone posted this pinout info:

        2 TX
        3 RX
        5 GND
        7-8 jumpered
        (Or 2 is RX, 3 is TX, I always have trouble with that. Try it each way.)

        ... and the adapter info sheet contained this settings info:

        Com Settings: 19,200, 8-N-1, no flow
        Says "TEST" should echo.
        Says "VER" should respond firmware version and date.
        Says "LOOP" should generate gibberish and be stopped by Enter.

        Thanks!

        David

        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
          > Just what the heck is that out in the middle of a sandy valley?

          Not sandy, dusty. So, so dusty. That's last year's iteration of Black
          Rock City that you see. My trailer is visible just east of 4:00 between
          Esplanade and A, to the right of the yellow shade structure at the end
          of the mid-block access road.

          > And just what the heck does one do there?

          Depends. What do you WANT to do there?

          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
            On 9/3/2012 7:15 AM, qrv@... wrote:
            > I visited and read the BurningMan page and came away confused as
            > to the philosophy in back of this event.

            The 10 principles will tell you a little, but it's hard to explain if
            you haven't been there. Different people get very different things out
            of it. It's an excellent APRS and emcom testing ground, and I had some
            technical projects going out there, but mostly I spent a week hanging
            out with scientists, engineers, IT people, and artists, building and
            later burning a memorial for a lost friend, and serving free drinks at
            the grimiest dive bar on the planet. Also made a fair amount of ice
            cream, but ran out of vanilla before I used up all of my liquid nitrogen.

            > It seems an amusing hobby that, like others, may spawn some creative
            > gadgets or systems to enhance the experience.

            Absolutely. For relaxation purposes I like the fact that it's mostly
            cut off from the outside world, but it's fun to build gadgets
            specifically for the playa. I've got a GPS map on my bike that's only
            usable out there, and I have to engrave a new acrylic panel for it each
            time with that year's map.

            But now I have a 10-day backlog of email to answer...

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
              > I need to know if the OT3m can handle the input directly
              > or if it has to be processed via Xastir or some other app?

              Possibly, I haven't tried that model myself. The T3 can talk to a
              Vantage Pro 2 directly, and if it's the same protocol it should work.

              Scott
            • qrv@kd4e.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
                Scott,

                The VP2 uses a USB connection - I need to know how to
                connect to your Serial port.

                Do the pins and settings look similar to a Serial Davis
                connection that does work with an OT3m?

                2 TX
                3 RX
                5 GND
                7-8 jumpered

                Com Settings: 19,200, 8-N-1, no flow
                Says "TEST" should echo.
                Says "VER" should respond firmware version and date.
                Says "LOOP" should generate gibberish and be stopped by Enter.

                > Possibly, I haven't tried that model myself. The T3 can talk to a
                > Vantage Pro 2 directly, and if it's the same protocol it should work.

                Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
                David Colburn nevils-station.com
                I don't google I SEARCH! duckduckgo.com
              • Teddy Banks
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
                  It's like my Dear Departed Grandma used to say, it takes all kinds of
                  people to make a world and we have them. :-)
                  On 9/5/2012 5:41 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
                  > On 9/3/2012 7:15 AM, qrv@... wrote:
                  >> I visited and read the BurningMan page and came away confused as
                  >> to the philosophy in back of this event.
                  > The 10 principles will tell you a little, but it's hard to explain if
                  > you haven't been there. Different people get very different things out
                  > of it. It's an excellent APRS and emcom testing ground, and I had some
                  > technical projects going out there, but mostly I spent a week hanging
                  > out with scientists, engineers, IT people, and artists, building and
                  > later burning a memorial for a lost friend, and serving free drinks at
                  > the grimiest dive bar on the planet. Also made a fair amount of ice
                  > cream, but ran out of vanilla before I used up all of my liquid nitrogen.
                  >
                  >> It seems an amusing hobby that, like others, may spawn some creative
                  >> gadgets or systems to enhance the experience.
                  > Absolutely. For relaxation purposes I like the fact that it's mostly
                  > cut off from the outside world, but it's fun to build gadgets
                  > specifically for the playa. I've got a GPS map on my bike that's only
                  > usable out there, and I have to engrave a new acrylic panel for it each
                  > time with that year's map.
                  >
                  > But now I have a 10-day backlog of email to answer...

                  Ham Radio Operators KCØWNY-KDØACN Ted & Kay
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
                    If it's USB only, then no, it won't work. The tracker can't act as a
                    USB host.

                    Scott

                  • qrv@kd4e.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
                      Scott,

                      The Vantage Pro2, which you said worked, is listed as a USB-only device
                      - perhaps they have changed it - or someone told
                      you the wrong model at some point?

                      The VantageVue, which I have, is Serial.

                      David

                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 5, 2012
                        The Vantage Pro II, can be a Serial or a USB, I have the Serial Version.
                        On 9/5/2012 9:09 PM, qrv@... wrote:
                        > Scott,
                        >
                        > The Vantage Pro2, which you said worked, is listed as a USB-only device
                        > - perhaps they have changed it - or someone told
                        > you the wrong model at some point?
                        >
                        > The VantageVue, which I have, is Serial.
                        >
                        > David
                        >
                        >> If it's USB only, then no, it won't work. The tracker can't act as a
                        >> USB host.
                        >>
                        >> Scott
                        >>
                        >> On 9/5/2012 4:01 PM, qrv@... wrote:
                        >>> Scott,
                        >>>
                        >>> The VP2 uses a USB connection - I need to know how to
                        >>> connect to your Serial port.
                        >>>
                        >>> Do the pins and settings look similar to a Serial Davis
                        >>> connection that does work with an OT3m?
                        >>>
                        >>> 2 TX
                        >>> 3 RX
                        >>> 5 GND