OT3m misconfig and will not reset

  • lledlow_jr
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 3, 2012
      I think I figured out a way to brick the OT3m, and I hope one of you can prove me wrong.

      In haste while fiddling with my Peet wx station, I inadvertently hit WRITE when I had selected PORT A for 2400 baud and TEXT. I know it should be AUTO. Duh. The otwincfg attempts to communicate with the TNC, but everything it sends to the TNC gets transmitted over the air. I then connected with a terminal program. I can hit CTRL-C to get the command prompt, but any command I send gets transmitted as text over the air. I can see it on receive when digipeated by a local node <Digi Echo>. Nothing I send at the cmd: prompt seems to have an effect.

      So what next to get the OT3m back into a default state? I wish there was a hard reset jumper like the Kantronics TNCs have.

      Tks in advance.
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 3, 2012
        On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 8:18 PM, lledlow_jr <kl2r@...> wrote:

        > I think I figured out a way to brick the OT3m, and I hope
        > one of you can prove me wrong.

        When are you going to brick your OT3? It sounds like it is still
        working according to your information below. A brick sits there and
        does nothing... your OT3 is doing what you asked of it.

        > The otwincfg attempts to communicate with the TNC, but everything it
        > sends to the TNC gets transmitted over the air.

        It should be able to grab the OT3's attention during a boot...

        > I then connected with a terminal program. I can hit CTRL-C to get the
        > command prompt, but any command I send gets transmitted as text
        > over the air.

        Hmm, that doesn't sound right... if you get the cmd prompt you should
        have it's attention.

        > So what next to get the OT3m back into a default state?

        Did you do the smart thing and put your callsign in the authlist so
        you can control the unit over the air?

        If you did send an APRS message to it telling it to set port A to AUTO
        with the message "cmd amode auto".

        > I wish there was a hard reset jumper like the Kantronics TNCs have.

        You could use a 10 lb sledge hammer for a hard reset... that will get
        you the brick you desire. You could also try using port B as an access
        point if you still have that in auto mode.

        I can't stress enough to people that the authlist is a VERY handy
        feature... I made configuration changes to a digipeater over a 1000
        miles away tonight from my couch.

      • lledlow_jr
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 4, 2012
          Thanks for the reply, James. No, I did not yet add the authlist. However, yes, the garbage it was transmitting does carry my ID. For now it is off the air and sitting on the bench awaiting a magical touch with my 10 lb sledge. Great unit. Careless op.

          > On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 8:18 PM, lledlow_jr <kl2r@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I think I figured out a way to brick the OT3m, and I hope
          > > one of you can prove me wrong.
          >
          > When are you going to brick your OT3? It sounds like it is still
          > working according to your information below. A brick sits there and
          > does nothing... your OT3 is doing what you asked of it.
          >
          > > The otwincfg attempts to communicate with the TNC, but everything it
          > > sends to the TNC gets transmitted over the air.
          >
          > It should be able to grab the OT3's attention during a boot...
          >
          > > I then connected with a terminal program. I can hit CTRL-C to get the
          > > command prompt, but any command I send gets transmitted as text
          > > over the air.
          >
          > Hmm, that doesn't sound right... if you get the cmd prompt you should
          > have it's attention.
          >
          > > So what next to get the OT3m back into a default state?
          >
          > Did you do the smart thing and put your callsign in the authlist so
          > you can control the unit over the air?
          >
          > If you did send an APRS message to it telling it to set port A to AUTO
          > with the message "cmd amode auto".
          >
          > > I wish there was a hard reset jumper like the Kantronics TNCs have.
          >
          > You could use a 10 lb sledge hammer for a hard reset... that will get
          > you the brick you desire. You could also try using port B as an access
          > point if you still have that in auto mode.
          >
          > I can't stress enough to people that the authlist is a VERY handy
          > feature... I made configuration changes to a digipeater over a 1000
          > miles away tonight from my couch.
          >
          > --
          > James
          > VE6SRV

        • Andrew Wawrzynowicz
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 4, 2012

            im sorry does the computer your using not have a usb port? the usb port can be used to reset your config in this case just tell it to erase the firmware in otwincfg, but only if you can't get the ot3 to respond via the usb com terminal...

          • lledlow_jr
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 4, 2012
              I have tried both serial and USB ports, Andrew. It seems anything otwincfg or I send to the TNC just gets transmitted immediately. I confirmed this my monitoring the output using another radio. I can see otwincfg attempting to capture TNC, but in the end, it will not connect.

              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 4, 2012
                Have you tried both conventional serial ports like I suggested? ie
                PORTA is in TEXT mode, what is PORTB in?

                On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 6:12 PM, lledlow_jr <kl2r@...> wrote:
                > I have tried both serial and USB ports, Andrew. It seems anything otwincfg or I send to the TNC just gets transmitted immediately. I confirmed this my monitoring the output using another radio. I can see otwincfg attempting to capture TNC, but in the end, it will not connect.
                >
                > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Wawrzynowicz" <mechcondrid@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> im sorry does the computer your using not have a usb port? the usb port can
                >> be used to reset your config in this case just tell it to erase the firmware
                >> in otwincfg, but only if you can't get the ot3 to respond via the usb com
                >> terminal...

              • lledlow_jr
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 5, 2012
                  I have not tried serial port B yet. However, I can say serial PORT A no longer responds at all, and I can't get the command prompt back on either serial or USB. When otwincfg attempts to connect via USB, however, the unit continues to key down with every attempt.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 5, 2012
                    Does port A at least give you a funny character when the tracker is
                    first powered up?

                    Scott

                    On 9/5/2012 3:05 PM, lledlow_jr wrote:
                    > I have not tried serial port B yet. However, I can say serial PORT A no
                    > longer responds at all, and I can't get the command prompt back on
                    > either serial or USB. When otwincfg attempts to connect via USB,
                    > however, the unit continues to key down with every attempt.

                    > James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Have you tried both conventional serial ports like I suggested? ie
                    > > PORTA is in TEXT mode, what is PORTB in?
                    > >
                    > > James
                    > > VE6SRV

                  • lledlow_jr
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 7, 2012
                      No, it doesn't. Tried two computers, two sets of cables, etc.

                      > Does port A at least give you a funny character when the tracker is
                      > first powered up?
                      >
                      > Scott
                      >
                      > On 9/5/2012 3:05 PM, lledlow_jr wrote:
                      > > I have not tried serial port B yet. However, I can say serial PORT A no
                      > > longer responds at all, and I can't get the command prompt back on
                      > > either serial or USB. When otwincfg attempts to connect via USB,
                      > > however, the unit continues to key down with every attempt.

                      > > James Ewen <ve6srv@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Have you tried both conventional serial ports like I suggested? ie
                      > > > PORTA is in TEXT mode, what is PORTB in?
                      > > >
                      > > > James
                      > > > VE6SRV

                    • kd0fer
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 16, 2012
                        I am having a very similar issue with my OT3m. I changed the mode of PORT A to TEXT mode and can no longer connect with otwincfg.

                        Anything sent to the tracker over the usb port is just sent over RF in a packet (with correct callsign etc.) Anything sent to PORT A is both transmitted as a packet and echoed to the usb port. I tried connecting with PORT B... the tracker would reset when otwincfg tried to connect but it wasn't able to actually connect.

                        I also tried the "Erase device and load new firmware" option over serial without luck. Otwincfg would say to reset the tracker, then once I reset it 2-3 times it would say this:
                        Communications error
                        (BL Ver 00)

                        What else should I try now?

                        Thanks,
                        KD0FER

                        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "lledlow_jr" <kl2r@...> wrote:

                        > I think I figured out a way to brick the OT3m, and I hope one of you can prove me wrong.
                        >
                        > In haste while fiddling with my Peet wx station, I inadvertently hit WRITE when I had selected PORT A for 2400 baud and TEXT. I know it should be AUTO. Duh. The otwincfg attempts to communicate with the TNC, but everything it sends to the TNC gets transmitted over the air. I then connected with a terminal program. I can hit CTRL-C to get the command prompt, but any command I send gets transmitted as text over the air. I can see it on receive when digipeated by a local node <Digi Echo>. Nothing I send at the cmd: prompt seems to have an effect.
                        >
                        > So what next to get the OT3m back into a default state? I wish there was a hard reset jumper like the Kantronics TNCs have.
                        >
                        > Tks in advance.

                      • Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 17, 2012
                          Sounds like there's quite a few config-ware problems
                          with the OT3's. I'm hoping it gets resolved at the
                          lab level before mine ships.

                          Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

                          www.n0eq.com
                        • sa6bje
                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 16, 2012
                            My OT3m now does the same thing.

                            On USB I get the terminal prints all incoming packets in clear text.
                            Anything I type gets transmitted over radio and echos in the terminal.
                            Ctrl-c gives cmd: but still anything I type gets transmotter over radio.
                            When connecting with otwincfg.exe the unit transmits over radio, it does not connect correctly and does not open the settings.

                            Serial A gets funny chars on bootup.
                            Anything I type here gets echoed out on the USB terminal and is also transmitted over radio.
                            When connecting with otwincfg.exe the unit transmits over radio, it does not connect correctly and does not open the settings.

                            Serial B get nothing on bootup
                            Typing to this port does NOT echo on usb terminal or transmit.
                            When connecting with otwincfg.exe the unit transmits over radio, it does not connect correctly and does not open the settings.

                            73 SA6BJE/Erik
                          • Marcel S
                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 17, 2012
                              I just had almost the same issue on my T3-301 (same brains as the ot3m)(see other thread on that). It seems as though the tracker has issues connecting nicely to otwincfg if you keep the COM ports busy through either scripting (as I did) or weather station data etc.

                              I was able to get access again via the USB port with some dumb luck on a different computer. I would recommend just trying a new computer (be sure to use the newest INF file <http://www.argentdata.com/files/ArgentUSB.zip>on argent's site for the driver) just to see if that will help. It might have had something to do with power cycling as well for the reconnect. So try powering through the DC jack with 12 volts and then plugging in the USB or variants thereof.

                              Scott is aware of the issues and is looking into solutions. In the
                              meantime, we the users need to tread carefully when we swamp the COM ports and keep the processor so excited with printing things that it doesn't want to listen to us anymore.

                              Cheers,

                              -Marcel AI6MS

                              On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 10:42 AM, sa6bje <erik@...> wrote:

                              > **
                              >

                              > My OT3m now does the same thing.
                              >
                              > On USB I get the terminal prints all incoming packets in clear text.
                              > Anything I type gets transmitted over radio and echos in the terminal.
                              > Ctrl-c gives cmd: but still anything I type gets transmotter over radio.
                              > When connecting with otwincfg.exe the unit transmits over radio, it does
                              > not connect correctly and does not open the settings.
                              >
                              > Serial A gets funny chars on bootup.
                              > Anything I type here gets echoed out on the USB terminal and is also
                              > transmitted over radio.
                              > When connecting with otwincfg.exe the unit transmits over radio, it does
                              > not connect correctly and does not open the settings.
                              >
                              > Serial B get nothing on bootup
                              > Typing to this port does NOT echo on usb terminal or transmit.
                              > When connecting with otwincfg.exe the unit transmits over radio, it does
                              > not connect correctly and does not open the settings.
                              >
                              > 73 SA6BJE/Erik
                            • sa6bje
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
                                Any update on the issue?

                                I tested all tips below but it did not help me.

                                73 Erik

                                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Marcel S <ki6qdj@...> wrote:

                                > I just had almost the same issue on my T3-301 (same brains as the ot3m)(see other thread on that). It seems as though the tracker has issues connecting nicely to otwincfg if you keep the COM ports busy through either scripting (as I did) or weather station data etc.
                                >
                                > I was able to get access again via the USB port with some dumb luck on a different computer. I would recommend just trying a new computer (be sure to use the newest INF file <http://www.argentdata.com/files/ArgentUSB.zip>on argent's site for the driver) just to see if that will help. It might have had something to do with power cycling as well for the reconnect. So try powering through the DC jack with 12 volts and then plugging in the USB or variants thereof.
                                >
                                > Scott is aware of the issues and is looking into solutions. In the
                                > meantime, we the users need to tread carefully when we swamp the COM ports and keep the processor so excited with printing things that it doesn't want to listen to us anymore.
                                >
                                > Cheers,
                                >
                                > -Marcel AI6MS
                              • th14539
                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 8, 2012
                                  I had same issue with OT3m but I set port A to text on purpose to use with a weather station, only way I found to recover it was to use a standard serial connection, not the USB, and when OTWIN says to reset tracker I power cycle it twice and then it will connect. Have to use the serial connection because there is no way to cycle power w/ USB since it is supplying the power to the tracker. Hope that gets corrected sometime but hope that helps.
                                  73

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 10, 2012
                                    If it's *very* busy with serial port output, then yes, I could see that
                                    being an issue - it blocks while it's doing a port print from scripting
                                    and it might miss the reset commands from the PC over the serial port.
                                    It *should* still work through USB. Are you running KISS over USB? It
                                    seems to have more trouble getting out of KISS mode - that's something
                                    I've been meaning to investigate.

                                    Scott

                                    On 12/7/2012 2:17 PM, sa6bje wrote:
                                    > Any update on the issue?
                                    >
                                    > I tested all tips below but it did not help me.
                                    >
                                    > 73 Erik

                                    > Marcel S <ki6qdj@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I just had almost the same issue on my T3-301 (same brains as the
                                    > ot3m)(see other thread on that). It seems as though the tracker has
                                    > issues connecting nicely to otwincfg if you keep the COM ports busy
                                    > through either scripting (as I did) or weather station data etc.
                                    > >
                                    > > I was able to get access again via the USB port with some dumb luck
                                    > on a different computer. I would recommend just trying a new computer
                                    > (be sure to use the newest INF file
                                    > <http://www.argentdata.com/files/ArgentUSB.zip>on argent's site for the
                                    > driver) just to see if that will help. It might have had something to do
                                    > with power cycling as well for the reconnect. So try powering through
                                    > the DC jack with 12 volts and then plugging in the USB or variants thereof.
                                    > >
                                    > > Scott is aware of the issues and is looking into solutions. In the
                                    > > meantime, we the users need to tread carefully when we swamp the COM
                                    > ports and keep the processor so excited with printing things that it
                                    > doesn't want to listen to us anymore.
                                    > >
                                    > > Cheers,
                                    > >
                                    > > -Marcel AI6MS

                                  • sa6bje
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 11, 2012
                                      Hi,
                                      I did have text mode on the serial port A but I dont think I had it on USB Kiss. Strange as it just tried to send anything coming in to USB out the radio. It did not seem busy as the light were only blinking when I wrote something to any of the serial ports thru console or the config program.

                                      Anyway as you all talked about the box beeing busy I did some more testing trying to make it busy. I never give up!

                                      I took a usb cable and cut the 5V cord powering the box from external power only to make it easier to control power up.
                                      Then I first tested to flood port A with serial data from a small LabView program and connecting thru usb from the config program.
                                      This did not work. So I tried the other way around.
                                      Starting the config program on serial A trying to connect and then as I powered up fired my LabView program to flood the USB. Then the config window popped up!!!

                                      Scott, I hope you find the bugs so they can be fixed in the future but for now I am up and running hopefully helping others with the same problem. Thanks.

                                      73 Erik

                                      > If it's *very* busy with serial port output, then yes, I could see that
                                      > being an issue - it blocks while it's doing a port print from scripting
                                      > and it might miss the reset commands from the PC over the serial port.
                                      > It *should* still work through USB. Are you running KISS over USB? It
                                      > seems to have more trouble getting out of KISS mode - that's something
                                      > I've been meaning to investigate.
                                      >
                                      > Scott
                                      >
                                      > On 12/7/2012 2:17 PM, sa6bje wrote:
                                      > > Any update on the issue?
                                      > >
                                      > > I tested all tips below but it did not help me.
                                      > >
                                      > > 73 Erik

                                      > > Marcel S <ki6qdj@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I just had almost the same issue on my T3-301 (same brains as the
                                      > > ot3m)(see other thread on that). It seems as though the tracker has
                                      > > issues connecting nicely to otwincfg if you keep the COM ports busy
                                      > > through either scripting (as I did) or weather station data etc.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I was able to get access again via the USB port with some dumb luck
                                      > > on a different computer. I would recommend just trying a new computer
                                      > > (be sure to use the newest INF file
                                      > > <http://www.argentdata.com/files/ArgentUSB.zip>on argent's site for the
                                      > > driver) just to see if that will help. It might have had something to do
                                      > > with power cycling as well for the reconnect. So try powering through
                                      > > the DC jack with 12 volts and then plugging in the USB or variants thereof.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Scott is aware of the issues and is looking into solutions. In the
                                      > > > meantime, we the users need to tread carefully when we swamp the COM
                                      > > ports and keep the processor so excited with printing things that it
                                      > > doesn't want to listen to us anymore.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Cheers,
                                      > > >
                                      > > > -Marcel AI6MS

                                    • n9tkf
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 23, 2013
                                        I have a similar problem connecting to the OT3 USB when Port A is set to TEXT. I have to use the serial port as the OT3 USB will not connect via the USB on the OT3 USB. Firmware is 56348. Today I upgraded to the latest firmware 4-13-2013(didn't catch the firmware number) and same thing, no connectivity via USB when Port A is set to TEXT. I re-loaded Firmware 56348 back up as the new firmware was causing some issues with my text interface from an Arduino UNO board.

                                        Some background of how I am using the TEXT mode to send telemetry out of the OT3 USB. I generate the telemetry from an Arduino UNO that has two digital temperature  sensors connected to it. I  then send an APRS formatted telemetry packet in plain text out of the Arduino to the OT3 USB to port A followed by a CR/LF and the OT3 USB encodes the plain text and sends out the packet. This works great except I have never been able to get Port B to work in TEXT mode not sure why. I am looking into adding a weather station to port B but want to make sure it is functioning properly first.

                                        73 John
                                      • wt9m
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 24, 2013
                                          John,
                                          Would you be willing to share your Arduino sketch for taking in the telemetry and sending it out to OT3 ?
                                          Thanks,
                                          Larry WT9M
                                        • John Kettinger
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 25, 2013
                                          Sure. Disclaimer: I am not a programmer and the code could be cleaned up a little, but here is what I am using.

                                          Also here is a link to Aprs.fi for the telemetry:  http://aprs.fi/telemetry/a/N9TKF-4

                                          73 John
                                          N9TKF
                                        • JORGE A
                                          Message 21 of 24 , Dec 26, 2013
                                            I know it's not exactly the theme of the group. but I have a ot3m with alinco dr-135 ...

                                            I am looking for some free software for programming alinco dr-135.
                                            Does anyone have or know of any?

                                            regards
                                          • qrv@kd4e.com
                                            Message 22 of 24 , Dec 26, 2013
                                              Jorge,

                                              Once your DR-135 is set to 144.390 simplex what other
                                              programming is necessary for APRS?

                                              David

                                              --

                                              A blessed Christ-mas to you and yours! KD4E.com

                                              David (never Dave) Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

                                              Safe & Secure Search Engine: duckduckgo.com

                                            • Teddy Banks
                                              Message 23 of 24 , Dec 26, 2013
                                                Might Try this one.
                                                http://www.hampedia.net/alinco/dr135mk2.php

                                                On 12/26/2013 12:29 PM, JORGE A wrote:

                                                I know it's not exactly the theme of the group. but I have a ot3m with alinco dr-135 ...

                                                I am looking for some free software for programming alinco dr-135.
                                                Does anyone have or know of any?

                                                regards

                                                --
                                                 Amateur radio operators KCØWNY & KDØACN Teddy and Kay Banks
                                                Message 24 of 24 , Dec 28, 2013
                                                  Not sure why port B is a problem, but for Arduino use I've got something else in the works - the Radio Shield 2 is using a variant of the OTUSB firmware and I've added a port mode that implements a serial API for access to various tracker functions.  Eventually the Arduino library will get updated and you'll be able to offload some functions to the tracker easily, and get stuff like parsed incoming packets.

                                                  Scott